1/32 Mirage IIIB conversion for the Italeri Mirage IIIC - Work in progress.

Renegade

Hi guys,

It has been a while since I posted anything. Moving house a couple of times and just general madness in this year. Earlier this year I completed the 1/32 Mirage IIID2Z conversion set, which has a lot of similar parts for the Mirage IIIB to modify. The Italeri Mirage IIIC also shares many parts with their IIIE, making integration of the parts easier. The forward fuselage halves from the IIID2Z has two pipe covers on either side of the lower half, which were modified almost straight and not curving up like the IIID2Z. The other part requiring some work, was the spine, because the IIIB has different and asymmetric vents. A new nose is in progress, as well as a replacement exhaust nozzle. The kit nozzle is very odd, being a hybrid between an open and closed nozzle, which messed up the correct dimensions. The IIIB was operated by three countries that stood out for me, namely France, Israel and South Africa. So, I'm going for decals for all three countries, that will be used as supplementary to the Italeri IIIC decals. The kit SAAF Castles are just rubbish, so new ones will be printed.

Fq9Fh8F.jpg

sHUcnPZ.png

Cheers,

John

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Thanks guys,

It's been a slower than expected project. Just been a crazy time...

An update on the rear instrument panel, which has been corrected and being detailed. Now it looks like a robotic jumping spider...:rofl:

Then it's just the exhaust nozzle and the vents underneath the nose cone to wrap this up.

u8SrSKL.jpg

Cheers,

John

Thanks Maru :)

Next little nightmare to take on, is the exhaust nozzle. The Italeri nozzle seems to be some sort of hybrid between an open and closed nozzle. It cannot be corrected, only replaced.

ulzgjVo.jpg

I used some plastic tube tube to make the new clam shells. Added another layer of tube on the outside of it to create the bulged appearance, with some filler to blend it. Lots more detail goodies to on the inside.

CAVwp6G.jpg

Cheers,

John

Hi John

WOW !!! I salute your tenacity to enhance tiny details such as this nozzle , so , I was intrigued , , so I took a look at my Mi III C kit , well , I think , that the nozzle , .....how can I say ... fills !!!??? the  "rump " , and looks wide open .( it's only my opinion )...............I agree , the inside details are ..so so , and need some improvements  , if you allow , here is how I fixed this area ...note , I don't want  to be an adviser , you don't need one 

cheers

Alain

r410.jpg

Thanks guys :)

10 hours ago, alain11 said:

John, you are very reactive !!!:thumbsup: did you add only the 20 mm " smooth" area to the nozzle ? and keep the two halves  corrugated parts of the pipe as they are ? ( easier to paint this way  ) 

Alain

Alain,

Yes, it is separate ;)

The exhaust nozzle is now complete. I'll spray some primer to see if anything needs some more attention. Primer can be a cruel teacher, so I'm hoping all will be okay.

IAqsdcM.jpg

Cheers,

John

Update on the last bits to be completed.

The exhaust nozzle held up with all the fine sanding after the primer was applied, and seems it will be good enough after a little more fine sanding.

The vents underneath the nose are stuck in place with super glue. Some minor filling work needed.

cUlhcqK.jpg

Cheers,

John