Trumpeter 1/32 EE Lightning tips?

coolingthunder

Hi all,

Bought the Trumpeter 1/32 Lightning F1/F3 last week when I saw it at my LHS, on a whim. It looked so impressive and they are apparently getting hard to find.

Of course, now I start reading all the horrible stuff that has been written about it, and already regret my impulsive purchase!

I am no rivet counter, so if it looks the part I’m happy, but how was the overall fit on this kit for those that have built it? I won’t start adding the 5mm at the middle of the fuselage, nor am I planning on spending hours fixing the belly tank (my modelling time is too limited for that!)

Does anybody have any good input on how to fix the gap at the nose ring? I have seen Whirlybird do a resin nose for it, does that alleviate the 5mm gap you end up with at the front?

I also already ordered some resin bits for it (QB seat, some resin wheels and a metal probe) so I guess I am commited to building it.

I've built multiple Trumpeter Lightnings over the years and never bothered with making any mods to correct it, other than a very simple one which makes a huge difference to the overall 'sit' of the kit: removing 2mm from the main gear legs. This gives the characteristic 'tail down' sit of the real thing, and hugely improves the overall look - Trumpeter have it sit too tail high. 

For the nose ring, a simple FOD guard can me made which will solve the intake problem without any of the hard graft. 

Here's an F6 I built a few years back to see the corrected 'sit': Trumpeter 1/32 EE Lightning F6 | Large Scale Planes

Tom 

Edited by tomprobert

I built this kit (F6) some years ago and it was basically a scaled up 1/48 kit (though not even as good as the Airfix 48 kit!) in terms of details and in the end, it 'looked' like a Lightning but that was pretty much it. For me personally, the awful shaped main canopy with the thin lower 'lip' rather that the quite distinctive heavy metal framing was the biggest visual distraction to the overall look and it just threw the whole nose area right off. There are now lots of aftermarket options available for this kit and some people have done some spectacular builds with a huge investment in time, effort and possibly money too. 

Build it and enjoy it but be prepared for some work along the way and especially so around the massively misshapen belly tank area to get everything blended in. Oh, the tail planes also need something like a brass rod spar through them too as the contact points are all but non-existent on the kit parts and will snap off at the slightest jolt or impact with something.

Gary

3 hours ago, tomprobert said:

I've built multiple Trumpeter Lightnings over the years and never bothered with making any mods to correct it, other than a very simple one which makes a huge difference to the overall 'sit' of the kit: removing 2mm from the main gear legs. This gives the characteristic 'tail down' sit of the real thing, and hugely improves the overall look - Trumpeter have it sit too tail high. 

For the nose ring, a simple FOD guard can me made which will solve the intake problem without any of the hard graft. 

Here's an F6 I built a few years back to see the corrected 'sit': Trumpeter 1/32 EE Lightning F6 | Large Scale Planes

Tom 

Hi Tom, what I have seen on a few builds was a fairly big gap between the nose ring and the rest of the fuselage, did you just use putty or plasticard there, and then the FOD guard to hide the inside? 

If I build it, I might consider adding the 5mm, but I have never used plasticard before so not sure if I feel confident to hack up such an expensive kit.

I’m sure all the resin would be a great addition but the modelling funds simply don’t stretch that far at the moment. If it kind of looks the part I’m happy. I’ll build an Airfix 1/48 at some point to have an accurate rendition.

I did read that despite accuracy issues, the fit was mostly okay, is that correct? 

2 hours ago, coolingthunder said:

Hi Tom, what I have seen on a few builds was a fairly big gap between the nose ring and the rest of the fuselage, did you just use putty or plasticard there, and then the FOD guard to hide the inside? 

If I build it, I might consider adding the 5mm, but I have never used plasticard before so not sure if I feel confident to hack up such an expensive kit.

I’m sure all the resin would be a great addition but the modelling funds simply don’t stretch that far at the moment. If it kind of looks the part I’m happy. I’ll build an Airfix 1/48 at some point to have an accurate rendition.

I did read that despite accuracy issues, the fit was mostly okay, is that correct? 

The fit of the nose ring was fine externally, and the unsightly gap was inside. It’s quite tricky to address this once the fuselage is together as the radar ‘bullet’ and nose gear bay are in the way - hence I made the FOD guard to hide it. 

The fuselage extension would indeed be a tricky mod - especially if this would be your first such venture of this nature. It personally doesn’t bother me, but it’s each to their own of course. 

The fit of the kit was indeed excellent on all of the examples I’ve built. If memory serves me correctly a bit if filler was needed on the ventral tank but other than that it was a breeze and once the cockpit is in, construction went very quickly. 

1 hour ago, coolingthunder said:

Oh, also Tom, do you remember what you used to make the FOD cover?

I made this from plastic card using a circular cutter - the outer cut to match the nose ring and the inner to match the radar bullet leaving a donut shape.  Some simple handles from plastic strip finishes the job. 

Tom

Tom,

Thanks for all your input so far! Babysteps for me, I will start with making a FOD cover and probably leave the 5mm for what it is. About 2% of the total model length is not something I am going to risk breaking my kit for.

Good to hear that at least the fit is okay, I have had different experiences with some other Trumpeter kits.

I might splurge on the Aires cockpit and the fixed nose, first finish the other kits that are on the bench.

I built the kit last year OOB except for an aftermarket seat and using plastic card to fix the internal gap of the nose ring (that was really easy to do). It now sits on my shelve, dominating the other aircraft around it - just like in real life. I lowered the plastic main gear as suggested by previous builders but when compared to how it sits when using the alternative metal legs I couldn't really see much difference so stayed with the kit legs as provided. Overall it was an easy build and looks fantastic. I'm no rivet counter, to my eyes it looks stunning, great value for money, enjoyable build and a great kit.

18 hours ago, coolingthunder said:

Tom,

Thanks for all your input so far! Babysteps for me, I will start with making a FOD cover and probably leave the 5mm for what it is. About 2% of the total model length is not something I am going to risk breaking my kit for.

Good to hear that at least the fit is okay, I have had different experiences with some other Trumpeter kits.

I might splurge on the Aires cockpit and the fixed nose, first finish the other kits that are on the bench.

Flightpath do a lightning detail set including a ladder fod guard and engine test guard which looks great. also upgrades to the red top missiles and missile trollys. All PE but worth it in my book. 

The 5mm extension was relatively easy when all was said and done.

I know its Photobucket but if you can take a look at this WIP album of my build. 

https://app.photobucket.com/u/hanbrix/a/a6aa67ff-fff9-4e11-a3c9-90c5cec30a54

There are also some reference images (mine) too if you want a browse. 

Edited by Phartycr0c

Hi coolingthunder

I've made more trumpeter and echelon lightning's than I care to remember. Me personally I never bothered adding the 5mm to the length. I did deal with the canopy tho. Also get yourself the Aries cockpit as this adds nose weight, don't bother with the engine exhaust they don't fit. Also it's a simple fix for the gap down the intake if you don't fancy a FOD guard. You can PM me as I've loads of photos of my builds I keep a record. Are you a member of scale modelling now web magazine? I've a lightning F6 build report on there that may help. 

It's had its critics over the years but if you persevere with it a great model is possible. 

Dave. 

9 hours ago, npb748r said:

I built the kit last year OOB except for an aftermarket seat and using plastic card to fix the internal gap of the nose ring (that was really easy to do). It now sits on my shelve, dominating the other aircraft around it - just like in real life. I lowered the plastic main gear as suggested by previous builders but when compared to how it sits when using the alternative metal legs I couldn't really see much difference so stayed with the kit legs as provided. Overall it was an easy build and looks fantastic. I'm no rivet counter, to my eyes it looks stunning, great value for money, enjoyable build and a great kit.

Thanks, that’s reassuring to read. I once again feel like actually starting the build soon haha.

2 hours ago, Scotsman said:

I was going to suggest the Flightpath set as wll, here's the link to it on his Website 

https://www.djparkins.com/product.php?productid=17736&cat=253&page=1

I stumbled across that as well, unfortunately with it coming from the UK it’s a no  go for me, custom charges can easily double what it costs on his site… I will have to fashion my own!

thanks all for your input, Dave I have sent you a PM!