Tamiya´s first P-51D box - VLR antennas? And drop tanks and prop..

Paramedic

Sorry for the probably wrong name for it.. But my question is, do you get those wooden (?) antennas on the spin of the P-51D - the pair you see on P-51D-25s on Iwo Jima for example, in that first boxing of the P-51D?

I do remember you drill holes for whatever antenna you want - the single one as in Europe (?) or the pair in the pacific. But do you get the actual plastic parts for them?

Not sure what subject I want to build but I have decals for a number of different ones I like, both from Europe and the Pacific..  And I guess I want the Ms. Bonnie box sooner or later (for the 150 gallon drop tanks..). But I thought I might just ask if anyone remember. I did not get any wiser from looking at online pictures of the sprues.

Not sure I am good enough to make my own - but that is a possibility I guess.

Edited by Paramedic

Thanks.

Yeah I probably can but it might be a lot of hazzle here and probably more expensive than it is worth.. I might just get another P-51D/K box.. ;) And use those decals? ^^

Very much appreciated though, getting the answer.

And had I looked here (IPMS USA´s review).

It would have answered my question too, sorry..

They mention "110 gallon" drop tanks. I thought those were 150 gallon ones?

And does anyone know if there is anywhere to obtain the 300 (315?) gallon ones as aftermarket or in a kit?

Maybe I need to refreshen my memory about various drop tanks though..:blush:

I also found an Aeroproducts Propeller, resin from Grey Matter, in my box. I only know the very basic about the those props (Aeroproducts on the K since the HS were in short supply). But is that resin one better, shapewise than the plastic part in the pacific Mustang- box?

I think I got it froma  friend, not bought it on my own..

Edited by Paramedic

• Paramedic changed the title to Tamiya´s first P-51D box - VLR antennas? And drop tanks and prop..

Thanks Jennings. :) Yeah I was not planning to use it. But I had that AM thing.. Was more curious if there was a point in it.. Since I will get the plastic parts if I fancy Ms Bonnie (which I like!).

I might build a K with it some day just for that variation in looks (and a Korean war one with an uncuffed HS..)

Seriously glad I picked up the "Pacific Theatre"/P-51D/K box.. But it is not much extra plastic (though very usefuL!). I am just curious why that box often costs 60-almsot 100% compared to the original one, here.. :/ Ditto for the F-51D iirc..

On 9/21/2021 at 11:45 AM, Paramedic said:

Sorry for the probably wrong name for it.. But my question is, do you get those wooden (?) antennas on the spin of the P-51D - the pair you see on P-51D-25s on Iwo Jima for example, in that first boxing of the P-51D?

The antenna were for something called Uncle Dog, basically a direction finder - rather vital for the VLR Mustangs.  They were wooden, but with a metal core (or they wouldn't work!) iirc.  The antenna for the regular radio was moved to the underside, on the main structural member between the undercarriage bays.  The battery was, iirc, moved from behind the cockpit and there were other small changes on the D-25 and D-30 (all the VLR aircraft were from these blocks).

http://www.warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21788

On 9/21/2021 at 1:12 PM, Paramedic said:

And does anyone know if there is anywhere to obtain the 300 (315?) gallon ones as aftermarket or in a kit?

If you mean the extremely large ones with the wooden "sway braces", these were only used when the VLR groups carried HVAR rockets from Iwo Jima to Tokyo.  With the added drag they caused, fuel consumption was higher and even the 110-gal tanks - the larger drop tanks as supplied in the Pacific boxing - were inadequate.  I think the very large tanks were the same tanks used by P-47Ds and P-38s: the Hasegawa P-47D has a suitable pair.

Apart from my usual Mustang sources, I found this book very useful when I built mine.

Edited by MikeC

2 hours ago, MikeC said:

The antenna were for something called Uncle Dog, basically a direction finder - rather vital for the VLR Mustangs.  They were wooden, but with a metal core (or they wouldn't work!) iirc.  The antenna for the regular radio was moved to the underside, on the main structural member between the undercarriage bays.  The battery was, iirc, moved from behind the cockpit and there were other small changes on the D-25 and D-30 (all the VLR aircraft were from these blocks).

http://www.warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21788

If you mean the extremely large ones with the wooden "sway braces", these were only used when the VLR groups carried HVAR rockets from Iwo Jima to Tokyo.  With the added drag they caused, fuel consumption was higher and even the 110-gal tanks - the larger drop tanks as supplied in the Pacific boxing - were inadequate.  I think the very large tanks were the same tanks used by P-47Ds and P-38s: the Hasegawa P-47D has a suitable pair.

Apart from my usual Mustang sources, I found this book very useful when I built mine.

Thanks! I have probably read this some time and forgotten about it. :) I did not remember that the other antenna was moved, very useful!

Yes, those are the ones I mean. Not sure I "should" use those but i liked the idea of it, I haven´t seen it on a 1/32 model so seemed interesting.

I actually have that book! But as usual, I read  alittle bit and when my father visits I lend it to him - so I asked him to bring it next time. It seemed very nice.

2 hours ago, quang said:

All you need to know about VLR Mustang in the Eduard instructions for the 1/48 kit HERE.

Thanks. I might even pick that box up (a few left here) and do a 1/48th as well..

Hmm, and that above means that 44-7362 - equipped with HVARs, should have the biggest extra tanks too? Looks like 75 gallon and HVARs too me (That Eduard instruction booklet, subject India.

Edited by Paramedic

6 minutes ago, Paramedic said:

Thanks. I might even pick that box up (a few left here) and do a 1/48th as well..

Eduard’s 1/48 Mustangs are among the most accurate and documented P-51 kits. And the VLR limited edition are the most - bang for the buck- among them. You get all the extra which made the long range version plus the regular parts. And did I mention the 11 (eleven) marking options?

79-BE10-A1-8291-4-C21-8-CB3-F3-A6-EB5106

Cheers,

Quang

Yeah, I´ve been eyeing it since release - and checked the subjects a few times.. :) I do plan to do "The Enchantress" in 1732 though - but there are other subjects I would lvoe to make - and i don´t mind it in 1/48..

A very nice model, thanks for sharing! What paints did you use for the metals?

How do their new decals behave? And how would you compare the kit to the Tamiya 32nd scale - if that is "possible"?

Loads of questions.. ;)

IMO the Eduard 1/48 Mustang is at least as good as the Tamiya 1/32.

Every detail you see on the Tamiya is reproduced here. The small differences between the P-51D variants (cockpit, vents, antennas,…) are addressed giving the modeller many options with a lot of spare parts left over once the kit is finished.

The ‘new’ decals are as good as the older Cartograf. They’re applied the normal way with Tamiya MarkFit between two coats of Klir. Skip the ‘remove the varnish’ fad :rolleyes:. They behave superbly OOB, being very thin and at the same time very strong (no tear). The tail stripes are specially challenging yet they went on without problem.

For the metal finish, I used Tamiya TS-30 for the wings and a combination of AK Xtreme Metal for the fuselage. 

HTH

Quang

Thanks. :)

Sounds like what you would expect from Eduard these days - I have the D/K box and it looks really nice. (You also get the big drop tanks there iirc as well as the HS cuffed and the Aeroproducts props) But I have not touched it more than that.

I have two Tamiya 32s but only one Eduard 48! :D I need that Iwo Jima box.. So many cool decals for 51s.. And I´m really more of a 47 guy! ;)

Cool,I´ll give them a go!

Oh, rattle can, nice! It looks great!

Again, thanks.