Forum Hack

LSP_Kevin

Hi everyone,

Many of you will be aware by now that we suffered a major hack some time in the last few hours. The only way I could regain control was to restore the forums from this morning's back up, but this means we've lost around 12 hours or so worth of posts. There was no way around this, unfortunately. It looks like many of use have lost our avatars, too.

Hopefully the hackers have had their fun, and moved on. But there's also a chance they'll be back, so I recommend you all change your forum passwords just to be on the safe side, even though technically they're encrypted in the database. I have no idea how they got in, which makes it difficult to keep them out, but I'll do what I can to beef up security. This is our first major hack that I'm aware of in more than 20 years online.

Kev

Hi Kev

confirmed, I got about 2 hours ago an email by the hacker that LSP was  HACKED BY  russian name ..... bla bla ... the idiot!

Fortunately, I was able to still login and immediately changed my password and that worked out.

Thank you Kev for doing your best and hard work to restore!

and that seemed to have worked. Thanks!

8 minutes ago, mash3d said:

Admins, You may want to check the forgot password tool also.

I tried to click on it and it never sent me an email. 

Thanks

That's because the hacker has already maxed out our allocated SMTP relays for the 24 hour period, so no more emails can go out for a good 20 hours or so.

Kev

Just expanding on the note above: the hackers triggered an admin function that sends an email notification to all members. As well as being supremely annoying, this also reached our daily quota of allowed emails within a couple of hours, and means that the forums can't send any more email notifications until the affected 24-hour period elapses.

Kev

43 minutes ago, mydesign said:

Fortunately, I was able to still login and immediately changed my password and that worked out.

Thank you Kev for doing your best and hard work to restore!

and that seemed to have worked. Thanks!

I tried that but then stopped as I realised the hacker might be wanting people to do that as a way of getting passwords.   I am no techie but I am suspicious about motives and without that there would not be a motive other than some ego trip. 

Edited by BarryWilliams

23 minutes ago, BarryWilliams said:

I tried that but then stopped as I realised the hacker might be wanting people to do that as a way of getting passwords.   I am no techie but I am suspicious about motives and without that there would not be a motive other than some ego trip. 

I'm no techie either, but I doubt it will do any harm to change your password to something only specific to the site, and I think everyone needs to be extra vigilant to spam emails, sadly this is the world we are living in.

Kinda sad ....I mean ...hacking a hobby forum ....wow ....real anarchy there, I bet the NSA are quaking at what this 14 year old will do next.

Didn't they make a really cheesy film about that back in the 80's ? 

Wargames.jpg

EDIT - Hey anyone suspect maybe it was Tamiya hacking in to get all those lists of what they should produce in 1/32 scale next ? 

Edited by Panzerwomble
Tinfoilhattery