DH.82A Tiger Moth - G-ACDC (1/32, ICM)

PrzemoL

Here is my current project. I am planning to build one of the oldest flying DH82As, G-ACDC, in its burgund red livery.

images-2.jpg

Actually, I will rather build it in this livery:

25815-1151743518.jpg

The work on cockpit is over. I have used Eduard PE sets, and also added some linkages and missing handles for fuel valve.

20210918-145840.jpg

20210918-150159.jpg

20210918-150804.jpg

20210918-162312.jpg

Edited by PrzemoL
added another photo

Absolutely lovely! I'm very fortunate to have logged a few hours in the real thing, which I'm sure looks far scruffier than the model. Small point of detail, you have a lever mounted on the RHS of the cockpit. This locks and unlocks the leading-edge slats, and is fitted in the rear cockpit only. The levers on the left for the throttle, fuel and trim are correct. Looking forward to seeing this come together! 

15 hours ago, hangarrat101 said:

Small point of detail, you have a lever mounted on the RHS of the cockpit. This locks and unlocks the leading-edge slats, and is fitted in the rear cockpit only. The levers on the left for the throttle, fuel and trim are correct.

Yep, quite right.  I can't understand how ICM (and they're not the first kit producer) could get this wrong assuming they have had access to a real Tiger Moth! :hmmm:  You've made an excellent start and the seat belts look very convincing, my only observation is the anchor point (seems to be on the cockpit side wall?) for the lap belts in the aft cockpit but perhaps this part is still work in progress.

This is rather hidden away but you may find it of interest I hope.

Edited by mozart

Thank you for looking into the details of my build. I have already commented, though the hack on the LSP tis morning caused the removal of my post, that I based my build on a small Polish monograph on DH.82a by Jacek Mainka. Even though it has lots of great detailed photos, the right-hand side of the cockpits was sort of forgotten, so I trusted Eduard in this aspect. Now I will have to live with the erroneous slats controls in the front cockpit. With the belts - in the rear cockpit they are attached to the internal truss element, as per Eduard instructions again. I presume it is wrong? (Again, this detail is missing in the book I have).

It was also pointed out to me, that the compass should be grey instead of black - I have overlooked this, I hope to manage to retouch it carefully.

Again, I am grateful for all your comments and suggestions of corrections.

And special thanks for the invaluable material in the link!

Edited by PrzemoL

Glad you find the link useful.  In all the Tiger Moths that I've flown the seat belt attachment is on the lower outside edge of the seats, so not easily visible.  In practical terms I don't think you'd be able to get a tight fit with the belts from those side attachments. :unsure::)

I did post earlier, but my post seems to have got lost, presumably as a side-effect of the recent hack.  Anyway, this is looking good, I look forward to seeing more. 

I thought you may be interested to know that CDC is now owned by the Tiger Club.  https://www.tigerclub.co.uk/home

46 minutes ago, mozart said:

In all the Tiger Moths that I've flown the seat belt attachment is on the lower outside edge of the seats, so not easily visible.  In practical terms I don't think you'd be able to get a tight fit with the belts from those side attachments.

Agreed, on the seat is most probable, and certainly applied when I flew in one.

Thank you, MikeC for the info. I have a feeling that I have already read about the new owner, but not for certain.

As for the build now the focus is on Gipsy Major engine. I plan to open the carburettor side panel to show the detail, so some missing items have to be added - oil, fuel and electric installations especially. I am using some parts from Eduard PE as well as some simple scratch from bits of plastic, wire and self adhesive tape.

The other side will be closed but still some details will also be seen through the front opening in the cowling. The bits are ready for airbrush.

20210921-012032.jpg
20210921-012328.jpg
20210921-234724.jpg
20210921-234612.jpg
20210921-235025.jpg

And thanks to your invaluable input I have  repainted the compasses into grey and corrected the anchor points for rear cockpit lap seatbelts.

20210921-235924.jpg

20210921-235938.jpg

Thank you.

More progress. The body is done. So are the doors and the engine panel made from the connection of thinned kit parts and PE bits. The exhaust painted and ready to be attached. The control horns are from Ed PE, except for the aileron ones which are made far too flat. Also the fittings for the upper elevator cable and the completely neglected very evident connections between the lower wing and the fuselage - these from scratch.

20211002-172411.jpg

20211002-172426.jpg

20211002-171351.jpg

20211002-172245.jpg

20211002-171947.jpg

20211002-171609.jpg