I saw DUNE 2021 today…

quang

On 9/19/2021 at 3:52 AM, quang said:

BUT… the thing which impressed me most is the technological artifacts deployed in the film notably the ORNITHOPTER, a cross between a Huey Cobra and a dragonfly with translucent wings!
A marvel of sci-fi design, mechanical and organic at the same time.  No cgi here but I suspect they have built a full-size mock-up for the filming because it’s incredibly realistic down to the vibrations of the flapping wings. I search the internet for a picture of the Dune 2021 ornithopter but for some reason I couldn’t find any. :wacko:

Now I know what I’ll be doing for the next few years: waiting for a 1/32 plastic kit of the Dune Ornithopter ;)

Late to the thread just having saw Dune this past weekend.  Liked it but also have a soft spot for the Lynch's 80's version.  But I did want to comment on the ornithopter... I'm not sure if the Dune filmmakers were aware of this previous version or not but something similar was dreamed up by Hayao Miyazaki back in 1986...

laputa_castle_in_the_sky_002.jpg

Just saw the movie last week.  I did so knowing that it could not reflect what’s really magical about Dune no matter what - Dune is fundamentally a novel of ideas, and that just doesn’t translate to the movies, no matter who is writing/directing.  That said, I think they did an OKish job.  On the plus side they resisted excess explication, and broke the story in the right place to end “part one”.  Biggest complaints are 1. the way Jessica’s character is written - she’s constantly crying in the movie, which is utterly different than her hard-ass pragmatic character in the book and 2. They don’t make the desert environment nearly harsh enough.  The characters run around in “still suits” with their faces uncovered, not observing anything like Fremen water discipline.

And the ornithopters are utterly unphysical - nothing could possibly “flap” metal wings of that size at the speed they show, and even if you could it wouldn’t produce a flying machine.  Google “Reynolds Number”.

For those of us that HAVEN'T seen the movie (because it is not released until December in Australia), can we at least have some SPOILER ALERT warnings? And no, I don't mean the plot, but all aspects - cinematography, acting, set and vehicle design etc.

Yes, I know I don't have to read the thread, and yes I know it will always be compared to the 1984 version, and yes, I've read the books several times, but a little consideration please?

40 minutes ago, Nessus said:

For those of us that HAVEN'T seen the movie (because it is not released until December in Australia), can we at least have some SPOILER ALERT warnings? And no, I don't mean the plot, but all aspects - cinematography, acting, set and vehicle design etc.

Yes, I know I don't have to read the thread, and yes I know it will always be compared to the 1984 version, and yes, I've read the books several times, but a little consideration please?

SPOILER ALERT

So basically, you want to hear NOTHING about it, since you have pretty much included every aspect of the movie. So I will be that guy and say, just don't read the threads about the movie. Self control will have to kick in as you can't discuss this movie without giving away something in all of those areas. It would be like trying to describe the Mona Lisa, without mentioning its of a woman, she had an interesting smirk, and isn't as attractive as you might think in real life.

Edited by eoyguy

1 hour ago, Nessus said:

To be fair, the things you list are the things a thread like this would talk about.  What would be the point in viewing this thread if those topics weren’t discussed?  Almost every post would have SPOILER ALERT on it.  The best bet would be to simply not view this thread.  

• 1 month later...
On 11/3/2021 at 10:03 AM, eoyguy said:

Now, where is Patrick Stewart, Pug in hand, leading his men against the Sardaukar???Now THAT was memorable!

Memorable for its un-ashamed silliness, unfortunately. What's he gonna do with the dog in a raging battle? Throw it at his enemies? Definitely one of Lynch's more self-indulgent scenes. 

Chris.