I saw DUNE 2021 today…

quang

Today my dream came true.

I went to a theater and watched Denis Villeneuve’s Dune film which premiered over here last wednesday.

I waited 50 years for this movie since I read the Frank Herbert’s novel back in the early 1970s. Today is the day of reckoning and I got to say I’m not disappointed. Everything is just like I imagined it,  just so much more: the brutish grandeur, the plot, the characters, the action, the photography, the music …

BUT… the thing which impressed me most is the technological artifacts deployed in the film notably the ORNITHOPTER, a cross between a Huey Cobra and a dragonfly with translucent wings!
A marvel of sci-fi design, mechanical and organic at the same time.  No cgi here but I suspect they have built a full-size mock-up for the filming because it’s incredibly realistic down to the vibrations of the flapping wings. I search the internet for a picture of the Dune 2021 ornithopter but for some reason I couldn’t find any. :wacko:

Now I know what I’ll be doing for the next few years: waiting for a 1/32 plastic kit of the Dune Ornithopter ;)

Cheers,

Quang

Edited by quang
Grammar

1 minute ago, Kagemusha said:

If you search Dune 2020 ornithopter it should yield some results...

I did. There are some pics but nothing like the craft you see in the film.

I can’t help but think that this film needs multiple viewings. Maybe I’ll return next week to watch it on iMax.:D

It's on my to-do list as well. I loved the original film with Sting in it. also have now read the books too. Bit heavy going but still enjoyable. I even remember playing the computer Dune games on my old Atari ST

7 hours ago, quang said:

Today my dream came true.

I went to a theater and watched Denis Villeneuve’s Dune film which premiered over here last wednesday.

I waited 50 years for this movie since I read the Frank Herbert’s novel back in the early 1970s. Today is the day of reckoning and I got to say I’m not disappointed. Everything is just like I imagined it,  just so much more: the brutish grandeur, the plot, the characters, the action, the photography, the music …

BUT… the thing which impressed me most is the technological artifacts deployed in the film notably the ORNITHOPTER, a cross between a Huey Cobra and a dragonfly with translucent wings!
A marvel of sci-fi design, mechanical and organic at the same time.  No cgi here but I suspect they have built a full-size mock-up for the filming because it’s incredibly realistic down to the vibrations of the flapping wings. I search the internet for a picture of the Dune 2021 ornithopter but for some reason I couldn’t find any. :wacko:

Now I know what I’ll be doing for the next few years: waiting for a 1/32 plastic kit of the Dune Ornithopter ;)

Cheers,

Quang

This one?

wH51pl0.jpg

35 minutes ago, Grunticus said:

37 minutes ago, Grunticus said:

This one?

I think so. Yet the one on your pix is an artist’s sketch.
The ones in the movie are more hard-tech yet organic. The wings fold back on the ground, deploy and flutter independently when in flight. 

1 hour ago, AlanG said:

It's on my to-do list as well. I loved the original film with Sting in it. also have now read the books too. Bit heavy going but still enjoyable. I even remember playing the computer Dune games on my old Atari ST

Just wait to see Stellan Skarsgard as Baron Harkonnen. Makes Sting look like Billy Idol :lol:

Maybe a little bit "off subject", but hasn't there been a earlier movie "Dune" in the past? I remember having seen something like it on a old VHS video cassette, but can't remember specific scenes anymore, so neither a ornithopter comes to mind!

Jack

PS...found it, a 1984 version.....

Edited by Jack

lols -  we are booked to see it on the 23rd , as it comes out in the UK on the 22nd as Kagemusha says . 

37 years ago I saw the Lynch one in the cinema , that's a long time to wait for a remake. Wild over excitement in the womble abode this last year waiting for the release date. 

"Beer is the mind killer............." 

No idea what this is all about ? link to official trailer here.

23 minutes ago, eoyguy said:

Well, they are 2 different characters. Sting played Feyd RauthaHarkonnen, the Barons nephew. 

Oh, then it’s Dave Bautista in the 2021 version. But the Big Meanie is the Baron himself played by Stellan Skarsgård (shades of Marlon Brando as Colonel Kurtz in Apocalypse Now).

Don’t mind the official trailer. This featurette is much more explicit AND you can also get a few glimpses of the ornithopter.