Recommendation sought for a Hawker Typhoon Reference

Looking for a decent reference (print) for the Hawker Typhoon.  All I have is the Squadron/Signal “In Action”.  I’m probably only ever going to build one or two models of the Tiffie (unless they release a good 1/32 plastic kit) so  I’m not after an expensive, treatment but a reference sufficient to allow me to include a decent level of detail in places such as wheel wells, cockpit and some walk around photos.  

If anyone knows of such a reference, please post the title and author.

Stangely enough when I built my MDC Typhoon the most useful reference that I had was the old Warpaint series No5 Hawker Typhoon (Chris Thomas), I also had the following but the Warpaint book was my go to reference:

The Typhoon and Tempest Story: Chris Thomas & Christopher Shores.

The Hawker Tempest: Valiant Wings

Typhoon and Tempest Aces of WW2 : Chris Thomas

Hawker Typhoon Portfolio: Brooklands Books.

Chris Thomas is the main man for Hawker Tempest and Typhoon information and he answered a lot of my questions over on Britmodeller when I did my build.

Cheers

Dennis

Yep, just as I feared, the Valiant Wings books are out of publication, and the Typhoon and Tempest Story book is way too expensive for my needs.  The Typhoon and Tempest Aces of WWII is not what I'm looking for and the only one available is the Hawker Typhoon Portfolio which is the only book that I can get but not sure what's inside at $15 off Amazon.  I guess I'll just have to build the kit (1/48) with what I have available. 

Edited by Juggernut

2 hours ago, Juggernut said:

Yep, just as I feared, the Valiant Wings books are out of publication, and the Typhoon and Tempest Story book is way too expensive for my needs.  The Typhoon and Tempest Aces of WWII is not what I'm looking for and the only one available is the Hawker Typhoon Portfolio which is the only book that I can get but not sure what's inside at $15 off Amazon.  I guess I'll just have to build the kit (1/48) with what I have available. 

While I wont say that I have every Typhoon reference out there, I do have quite a lot, and in my opinion, the Valiant Wings Volume 1 book, is still the best out there for details.

Odd, while searching the web, I found Volume 1 at Hobbylinc for $40, as well as my own review of the same volume, which I had completely forgotten about.

7 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

While I wont say that I have every Typhoon reference out there, I do have quite a lot, and in my opinion, the Valiant Wings Volume 1 book, is still the best out there for details.

Odd, while searching the web, I found Volume 1 at Hobbylinc for $40, as well as my own review of the same volume, which I had completely forgotten about.

Hey, thanks for the source....Volume 1 is ok and while $40 is at the upper limit of what I wanted to spend, I'm sure it'll be worth it.  IF it's actually in stock.  Have you dealt with Hobbylinc before because I haven't?

UPDATE:  I tried to add the book to my cart and got the unfortunate message that the item has been discontinued and cannot be ordered.  So much for being in stock.

Edited by Juggernut

Well that certainly blows. I hadn't tried to add it to my cart (since I already have a copy), so had no idea. While this may be of at least some help, there are three walkarounds on this site, the first of which revealed a detail that I had never been aware of previously, the lights on the inside rears of the horizontal stabilizer fairings. I know for sure that both the Airfix 1:24 Typhoon and the Hasegawa 1:48 Typhoons, have these covered (to one degree or another).

Typhoon 1

Typhoon 2

Typhoon 3

While there are some inaccuracies with some of these restorations, they generally give a pretty decent overall representation of the air-frame, at least externally. When I did my reviews of the big ol' Airfix Typhoons, I did try to at least include images that reflected the realities of the aircraft to the model and/or any major differences.

Typhoon - Car door

Typhoon - Bubble top

22 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

Well that certainly blows. I hadn't tried to add it to my cart (since I already have a copy), so had no idea. While this may be of at least some help, there are three walkarounds on this site, the first of which revealed a detail that I had never been aware of previously, the lights on the inside rears of the horizontal stabilizer fairings. I know for sure that both the Airfix 1:24 Typhoon and the Hasegawa 1:48 Typhoons, have these covered (to one degree or another).

Typhoon 1

Typhoon 2

Typhoon 3

While there are some inaccuracies with some of these restorations, they generally give a pretty decent overall representation of the air-frame, at least externally. When I did my reviews of the big ol' Airfix Typhoons, I did try to at least include images that reflected the realities of the aircraft to the model and/or any major differences.

Typhoon - Car door

Typhoon - Bubble top

Ya know, I honestly didn't even think to check the walkaround section.  Thanks for the leads.  This will help a lot!