Revell Mustang, markings TBD.

dmthamade

Too wide right ?  (trying to remember).  I glued on side and let it dry, then pulled the other side out flush and glued that.

May need a chunk of sprue or something to spread the cockpit edges until it dries.

...as if you need advise from me  ;)

On 10/4/2021 at 3:10 AM, MikeMaben said:

Too wide right ?  (trying to remember).  I glued on side and let it dry, then pulled the other side out flush and glued that.

May need a chunk of sprue or something to spread the cockpit edges until it dries.

...as if you need advise from me  ;)

Yeah, too wide. Took a fair bit of sanding before things were good. Looking at it now, i think i could have cut a lot of the side detail out completly behind the seat bulkhead, none of it is seen after the fuselage is closed up. I don't adhere to the "i'll know it's there " school of thought, so i wouldn't have any problem doing this. 

Don

• 1 month later...

Looong time since i've updated!! In the months time, i managed to build the major assembly. Straightforward stuff, usual dryfit/scrape/sand/repeat...most of the work was in the cockpit area where the pit was a little too wide. Stabilizer to fuselage fit needed work as well, nothing out of the ordinary. I like my builds with closed hatches, etc., so the flaps and the panels were closed as well. On my kit, the panel lines seemed a little soft and shallow, i used a scriber to deepen them, the fuselage ones especially on the side of the nose were the worst. Last weekend i primed it with Tamiya rattlecan then sprayed with Tamiya AS-12 Bare Metal Silver. This weekend i'm hoping to pick out panels withe various Vallejo Metal Color shades. Still haven't picked out the scheme i'll be doing, shoud decide by tonight.

c3pFxh.jpg

qdUQfL.jpg

Time to paint.

Don

So "Cripes a mighty 3rd" it is. First time doing invasion stripes, looked real simple to do, but they took about 3.5-4.0 hours to lay up and paint!! Moving on to the blue, now. There are a LOT of these builds on line plus pics of warbirds in these markings and there is a great variance in the blue used!! The Tamiya kit gives a mix for the blue to use on Petie 3rd. Looks good to my eye!! Found an exact match to the mix in a Testors Model Master Acryl colors 4206 Midship Blue 1/2, will decide which to use. I'll lay down a primer of white first, then apply the blue.

NbBybJ.jpg

Don

On 11/7/2021 at 6:02 PM, LSP_Kevin said:

Looks great, Don! Invasion stripes can be deceptively hard to pull off.

Kev

Yup!! They're stripes, how hard can they be?......Can't imagine doing a P-38 with the rads on the tailbooms...Managed to get the blue down late yesterday. This is Testors Model Master Acryl Midship Blue, 4206. This was in the Marine paint line, might not be available, now. Have to say, the Tamiya mix given in the Mustang kit is a great match as well.

rKlnTY.jpg

rKlnTY.jpg

Don, it’s interesting how you attached the front windscreen after applying the overall aluminum color for the aircraft. Does the Aerocraft windscreen fit perfectly with out any sanding on the fuselage? I usually attach the windscreen before painting so I can make sure it sits without any edge on the port or starboard sides. 
  Nice job , well done with the invasion stripes.

Jim

On 11/9/2021 at 8:03 AM, James Rademaker said:

Don, it’s interesting how you attached the front windscreen after applying the overall aluminum color for the aircraft. Does the Aerocraft windscreen fit perfectly with out any sanding on the fuselage? I usually attach the windscreen before painting so I can make sure it sits without any edge on the port or starboard sides. 
  Nice job , well done with the invasion stripes.

Jim

Yeah, about that windscreen...it's just sitting in place. This is the kit part, fit is better than the first one i tried. I know results are better when you glue clears in before paint, have tried a few times on past builds with poor results.

Don

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a while since an update, busy time at work so usually to beat to do anything but eat/recuperate/sleep. Did manage to get everything painted!! I was hoping to get everything glosscoated today, but dealing with side effects from the plague vaccine dose #3. R&R for the rest of the day, maybe tomorrow...

BBkMpO.jpg

Hello all!! Have to confess, been doing a terrible job of participating, life been getting in the way. Did manage to glosscoat and apply the decals. They did silver a bit, are a little thick but the white in the stars/bar is translucent and off register, and did a so so job of settling in. In other words, use aftermarket or masks!!! Managed to get overspray on the instrument panel. I think the canopy got hit, too...yippee...

gMPxgp.jpg

fFBKGq.jpg

q8q5sT.jpg