Revell Mustang, markings TBD.

dmthamade

Hello all!! Would like to join the GB with the most recent boxing of the Mustang from Revell. I was going to enter this in the target for today GB, but i couldn't bring myself to hang bombs on the Mustang, think it looks best as a fighter. I have started the kit, glued the tail halves to their respective front halves and cleaned up some parts, otherwise not much else done. I will be adding some Finemolds belts and an AMS K-14 gunsight. Markings might be the Flying Dutchman from EagleCals, or the kit markings for Cripes a Mighty 3rd. Have to say, Preddys ship is winning out so far, but i would backdate the markings a few months before, when it had full D-Day stripes and black stripes on the vertical and horizontal tails. Would also have to subtract some of the kill markings. Suprisingly, this is only the second build i've ever done with invasion stripes, don't think i've ever done a SEA Vietnam scheme either...odd. Will post pics and some progress tomorrow.

Don

2 hours ago, dmthamade said:

Preddys ship is winning out so far, but i would backdate the markings a few months before, when it had full D-Day stripes

Mine will have full D-Day stripes as well, it will be good to have some company.  ("You can be my wingman any time." "Nonsense*, you can be mine!" :piliot::piliot:

Good luck, looking forward to seeing yours.  I hope that with the newer boxing they may have fixed the canopy issue.

*near enough, means the same :).

9 hours ago, MikeC said:

Mine will have full D-Day stripes as well, it will be good to have some company.  ("You can be my wingman any time." "Nonsense*, you can be mine!" :piliot::piliot:

Good luck, looking forward to seeing yours.  I hope that with the newer boxing they may have fixed the canopy issue.

*near enough, means the same :).

Canopy still is distorted, haven't tried the fit yet. Don't know how much i'll let this bother me. I understand the Tamiya canopy is a direct replacement. The fit of the windscreen is more of a concern, i have tried to do this kit a long time ago, fit issues with the windscreen/cockpit/fuselage frustrated the heck out of me, build went into storage. Some pics of where this build stands.

mTogji.jpg

Fuselage parts are joined, as is the seat and rad/oil cooler parts. There are a few parts ready for cleanup/paint.wdoLKz.jpg

Some of the aftermarket i'll use.

U5Xqkh.jpg

Aircraft on bottom is one choice.

Will be using this book for references, as well as info from the net.

Zr0SoJ.jpg

On 9/12/2021 at 3:16 PM, dennismcc said:

As for the clear parts, have a look here.

https://aerocraftmodels.bigcartel.com/product/p-51-mustang-canopy-set

Cheers

Dennis

Have to say, they have some great stuff!! The Tamiya and Revell Phantom stuff looks really appealing. Borgfeldt models is 10 minutes away from work, i've been able to go there for Tamiya sprues before. Not building much now, but if i went the Aerocraft route, i could see myself getting the canopies, landing gear, doors, etc for the phantom$$$$. Less expensive in many ways to get the Tamiya stuff . I also looked in my Tamiya Mustang for part #s and found the kit has 3 canopies!! I'll have to spend time looking at why, but robbery may be in the future.

Don

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it's been a while since last update!! I've been slowly hacking away at the build, spending an hour here and there. Was able to finally assemble the pit. Pits have always been a sore point with me, but i've realized that it's jet cockpits that ALWAYS cause me grief. WW2 cockpits are much easier for me and give me much more satisfying results. I think it's because they are much simpler, side consoles, instrument panels, seats, belts, are very simple. Cockpit openings are much smaller as well, so not as much visible, P-47 compared to a F-16. Anyway, some pics.

ZCSn9L.jpg

nFKcvj.jpgYD18v8.jpg

wDTxrt.jpg

pGTRul.jpg

ChOjUP.jpg

Working on the wing assembly and cooling duct work in fuselage, now.

Don

12 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Hey Don , looking good. If you have any trouble getting the fuselage halves to fit together,

you may need to flat sand the sides of the cockpit cage assembly.   :popcorn:

Yup!! Had to do that, otherwise there would have been gaps, wing fit would have been off as well. In spite of this, i think the windshield may be off a bit....

Don