1/16 scale Boxer reconnaissance vehicle

GMK

Jumping between 1/16 projects at the moment. This will be a design, 3D print, & build project, much like my Bushmaster & M113s. 

The Boxer combat reconnaissance vehicle (CRV) is a ~40 metric tonne 8x8 armoured roller skate being introduced into service in the Australian Army. Not without some hiccups along the way, it should mature into a capable truck in time. 

dbeHmkx.jpg

This was the vehicle that prompted me to learn CAD in the first place, with the initial intent to convert a flat pack styrene “kit” of the flat top Boxer. Turns out it’s easier to design the whole vehicle. 

Roughed out the basic hull…again!

9xfnKwN.png

The lower hull geometry is complicated, to say the least. 

VlfINHR.png

Only modelling one half at the moment. The lower hull is symmetrical, apart from minor details. 

Boxer is modular insofar as each vehicle comprises a drive module & an interchangeable “mission module”. The Lance turreted mission module is uniquely Australian. Time will tell whether that’s a good or bad thing!

Trying something different for the turret interface that’ll clip in and allow 360 degree rotation. 

53e8iJF.png

This design has taken a daily session over the five days. When I started CAD 18 months ago, this would’ve taken months!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks @MARU5137 - definitely not going to be a quick one. 

Sadly, this week’s efforts have been hampered by software licences #goodtimes.

Still, some progress made on roughing out the turret/hull interface. 

BynV5Sv.png
The plug & click method was stolen from a 1/72 kit of a turreted Stryker. The turret fits into the mission module thusly.

Dub1IdY.png

Turns out the turret has to be taller from the mission module roof to avoid bumping the driver’s hatch cover appliqué armour, which comes to an apex higher than the hull roof. 

ZsvU9vl.png

Barring unforeseen work & software issues, I should have the bulk of the basic shapes & how they interrelate sorted this week. 

sK1U1QP.png

ALGnE9Z.png

Front left three quarter elevation:

a31Xkkg.png

Rear left three quarter elevation:

gwiLNDk.png

Thanks for looking. 

Edited by GMK

Thanks for stopping by, Tom, I appreciate the support!

Finally managed to find a “single point of truth” that showed both the hull and turret in the same illustration. Sadly, the pic is tiny.

NKAtF6A.jpg

Scaling it to known dimensions showed that my earlier rendition had the turret that was 10mm too far forward on the mission module, 6% too short in height, & 3% too short in length. You can see the previous construction highlighted in blue. 

B1YBSxj.png

After fixing all that, started on surface detailing. 

BCedVnC.png

I’m putting off attempting the suspension. Probably finish the driver’s hatch cover & glacis details this coming week. 

QTwBl3n.png

Until then. 

Edited by GMK

Well, the driver’s hatch cover & glacis didn’t wind up happening, I did however start the main armament & coaxial machine gun box. 

7erPSgp.png

Have had some learning moments regarding objects vs. components and how they interact or decline to. 

CjSXFVH.png

Also added some surface details to the turret body, which improves the look. 

Wuxw4bU.png

After being distracted by surface details over structures & shapes, I can understand how professional kit designers can zero in on details at the expense of shapes. 

beb7L4j.png

Well, thanks for stopping by & see you next week. 

Didn't know AUS were buying Boxer ( I haven't got out much recently )  , thought you were more LAV people ! Congrats ! 

UK is buying them 18 years after leaving the consortium ....and having mucked around spending £450 million following the FRES nonsense ( didn't deliver a single vehicle ) ..so we now are paying full MRP instead of the  Crowdstarter price .  Don't get me going with AJAX , six vehicles for £3.5BN ....smart money is on the whole project being written off shortly ....aka Nimrod 3 ...just need a election to bury it in . 

An 8 wheeled German armoured car, what's not to like ? 

Look forward to your build , I'm going the easier route with a Revell 1/35 modded to UK spec when we get proper pictures . 

13 hours ago, Panzerwomble said:

Didn't know AUS were buying Boxer ( I haven't got out much recently )  , thought you were more LAV people ! Congrats ! 

UK is buying them 18 years after leaving the consortium ....and having mucked around spending £450 million following the FRES nonsense ( didn't deliver a single vehicle ) ..so we now are paying full MRP instead of the  Crowdstarter price .  Don't get me going with AJAX , six vehicles for £3.5BN ....smart money is on the whole project being written off shortly ....aka Nimrod 3 ...just need a election to bury it in . 

An 8 wheeled German armoured car, what's not to like ? 

Look forward to your build , I'm going the easier route with a Revell 1/35 modded to UK spec when we get proper pictures . 

Yeah, the decision was made a while back. 211 vehicles, 133 turreted, will replace the ASLAV fleet. They’ve broken the delivery into Block 1 (25 vehicles, 12 w/Lance turrets, 13 without) & Block 2, so that Army can access a beta version of the vehicle quickly, rather than wait for perfection. The first 25 trucks will then be brought up to Block 2 standards. Pretty smart, imo. 

I’m not a huge fan of German vehicles in general. Luckily for Boxer, it satisfies rule 1 & looks good!

Will be interesting to see how the British Army trucks turn out. They always come up with the unexpected. 

Edited by GMK

On 10/5/2021 at 3:52 AM, MARU5137 said:

Coming along steadily  but beautifully. 

:clap2:

Too kind, @MARU5137 - it’s good to make some progress.

Only time for a quick Sunday morning session this week, with the focus on blocking out the stowage. Australian Block 1 Boxers have unique stowage on the hull sides (yet to be done), the hull rear, & bustle racks on the turret rear/sides.

DruPxiW.png

As the turret isn’t symmetrical, the stowage isn’t either. 

Zy9PgdL.png

The rack on the rear of the hull is also asymmetrical, for extra fun. 

NWOGm9f.png

Some footage of the first Combat Training Centre-Live rotation of the Boxer’s from 2/14 Light Horse Regiment emerged this week, allowing for this comparison. 

MihzR5S.jpg

Time permitting, more to come. 

Another time-constrained week, so the stowage on the side was used as a bite-sized project to keep the momentum. 

BMWXaco.png

The most difficult shape to get right is the brush-deflecting chevron on the hull sides. 

dJGlC8t.png

The two twin jerry can holders are more tedious than tricky, though the corrugated backing plate required a bit of thought. 

zxVjf7z.png

Almost time to return to the hull proper. 

6Xza8E5.png

Overhead shot for proportions. 

h024rJH.png

Thanks for looking in!

• 1 month later...

After a bit of a break, I’ve managed to start on the suspension mounting points. Not much, but just easing into it. 

LWTrrvZ.png

Each suspension station has an axle, an ‘A’ frame that mounts on either side of the axle, plus two vertically oriented shock absorbers. This week was the shock absorber mount’s turn. Locating these will allow the detail & structure of the lower hull to be completed. 

Then production of the lower hull can commence. 

3 hours ago, Uncarina said:

This is simply amazing to see unfold! Alchemy at work. And what a great vehicle choice!

Cheers,  Tom

Thanks, Tom. I’m self taught, so I’m a CAD hack, tbh. 

1 hour ago, petrov27 said:

very cool subject and some great 3d modelling going on! Just curious, what is the structure with the holes in it that surrounds the turret gun barrel? Just support structure?

Thanks :) The barrel shroud acts as a barrel support. It also protects the muzzle fuzing system that programs airburst rounds as they pass through the inductor. At least, that’s what I’ve deduced!

Turns out incremental but regular progress is good for both the project & my headspace. Who’d have thunk it?

More work on the suspension locators this week. 

pRHFd1n.jpg

This work is critical for the alignment of the suspension itself, as well as ensuring all of the wheels will touch the ground!

4I7ihVU.png

Making my mistakes in CAD rather than in real life is much more efficient. All going well, I’ll be able to get the drive module on the printer before Christmas. 

Thanks for checking in.