ICM AH-1G 68-15012 "#1 Du Me Mi" - F Troop, 4th Cav, Phu Bai, 1972 (mostly) Finished!

Out2gtcha

Tad bit of progress to report.

The fix is coming along well so far. Prior to any priming or finish sanding, I cut the carbon fiber rods down to roughly 1/2" or less and inserted them to see if things would hold together without any adhesives.

Success! (to a point)

IMG_20210928_190857217-X3.jpg

Things only being held in place by friction 

IMG_20210928_190903075-X3.jpg

However, we do have 1 slight issue

IMG_20210928_190915759-X3.jpg

This is one of the few disadvantages of using carbon fiber VS steel, and that is the fact that you get nearly 0 flexibility. This definitely came into play here, as I likely have one of the rods a teensy bit off and it has created this difference in angle between the two skids. However, because of the stiffness of the CF rods, I would have to warp the skid arms themselves to correct it.

My plan to correct this is to have the front tube remain, and separate the rear tube so that the angle of the tube in the plastic can be adjusted so the skids set flat. Or at least that is my plan.

After I figured out I need to separate one of the tubes, I proceeded on with cutting and smoothing one tube, then masked off the carbon fiber rods with some Tamiya tape and set about finish sanding them. After getting them acceptably smooth I shot some Tamiya fine white primer on them to alert me to the presence of any flubs, bumps or ripples in the JB Weld.

It was prime, dry, sand, smooth, clean, rinse & repeat.  That went on for quite a few rounds. I used Tamiya fine white so that it might be easier to see mistakes, but in the end I will be using a black base of Mr Surfacer 1500.

In the end I think this will all work out fine if I can just get the skids to line up 

IMG_20210929_123434502-X3.jpg

IMG_20210929_123506278-X3.jpg

I'm hoping I can get them adjusted flat, then it will only be a matter of gluing them in. 

Next up I will attempt to get the clear parts in order as well as the the associated Quinta Studios parts left that go on said clear parts.

Cheers! 

Thanks gents. Work has been a @#$%!, and I've been writing an LSP review along with working on the Cobra, so between the split time, I've had a bit less bench time (hopefully to remedy that now that the weekend is here).

My order from ReedOak came in and I'm happy! Its a really nice pair of Vietnam era SPH-4 helmets. These look really great, and with only a tiny bit of smoothing, will really add to the build I think:

IMG_20210928_214653542-X3.jpg

IMG_20210928_214738615-X3.jpg

After splitting the rear stainless steel tube, I think now I have fully solved the skid kid problem. I glued the front tube in the fuselage as a single complete tube and left the rear tube off, splitting it into two halves, as I will glue them onto the rear carbon fiber rods.

This was the first experiment after priming and smoothing the skids. Even without the rear stainless steel tube over the rear two carbon rods, the skids held the fuselage up no issue, and the port skid which was significantly off the ground and un-even, is now flat and level (still nothing glued in at this point either so plenty of time for final adjustments):

IMG_20210930_212026985-X3.jpg

IMG_20210930_212319505-X3.jpg

IMG_20210930_212329640-X3.jpg

IMG_20210930_212524050-X3.jpg

IMG_20210930_212638743-X3.jpg

Ill be back on the snake after I get more of my review done, hopefully can knock that one out fully today, and be back on the Cobra tonight. 

Cheers,

Wow, those helmets look amazing! The detail is quite crisp.  Will most definitely add some pop to the overall kit once those are added.  And nice recovery with the skids too!  Watching your build makes me wonder if I could pull off a scene with a Cobra gun run alongside a slick in a hot LZ?  That would be a fun scene to figure out...!

Edited by easixpedro

44 minutes ago, chrish said:

Ingenious work!

I just found this build but am kind of hooked now

Thanks Chris, back atcha!  I was fascinated by your last last Pa-18 (of which I have 2 or 3 in the stash!) and your latest O-1 has some super cool detail to the interior and it seems like its barley started. :lol: 

Thanks Kev!

Now that the fix for the skids is in place, it renews the fire in me for the kit that I lost a tad bit of when both skids failed.

I just this afternoon got a package from SprueBrothers that contained a long barreled version of the 1/32nd M-61. It's possibly too long for the turret, but I feel I can cut it down without a problem if it sticks too far out.

More later!