1/32 Fi 156D1 Hasegawa-Revell

mc65

hi all,

thank you for you positive comments, albeit I feel myself a little bit unmotivated on this project, may be I'm just get loosing grip on it, approaching the diorama's phase...

I choosed to do some light weathering on separate parts, and to build up the wing's strutctures on these before try to match these with the fuselage, adding in the process the last details, like landing light, mooring rings, air tubes for the foldable (yes, really!) pitot, fuel televel.

IMG_3986.HEIC

on this session I added also vacu formed navigation lights covers, being the latter done with a scalded fishing line colored (speaking of the left one, the right was cologreen, ah ah).

IMG_3989.HEIC

same for the landing light. I was concerned about the solidity of all these struts, but indeed all seemed to go straight on place.

IMG_3990.HEIC

other details were the air scoop for the electric generator on the engine's RH

IMG_3900.HEIC

and finally I added the exhausts, to wich ones I cutted the four front slots

IMG_4005.HEIC

last item to go, the landing gear's brake lines

IMG_4001.HEIC

and here we are, at last. I'll add doors and other little items when I'll be ready to glue it permanently on the base.

IMG_7987.HEIC

with a slight modification on the lower cowling's exaust holes, I rendered the engine fully accessible.

IMG_8002.HEIC

with the option to leave it without the lateral panels, as seen on many WWII images. but, being the idea to do a late autumn diorama, I think these will go installed, albeit with magnetos.

IMG_8011.HEIC

well, after a glue hardening night, she seems to be sound and stable, really nice kit! really, I would like to know the designer of such intricate but efficient structure!

IMG_8012.HEIC

what else? the kid that still lives in me ask for an engine run up... so, clear prop!

IMG_8016.HEIC

next step, diorama base, stay tuned!

cheers, Paolo

Edited by mc65

Hi rafju, thank you!

I'm sorry I'm not able to answer right now to your question: after writing the post I leaved home and I'll be back not early than tomorrow night.

So, as soon as possible I'll check the in-scale wheel track.

meanwhile, I suppose I may say that the Fi156's wheel track is not a defined measure, it depends how much load is imposed to the aircraft.

as you see (if I succeded to post the image from the smartphone) there was a big difference in wheel track between the unloaded undercarriage in flight (ref. line 23) normal ground position (22) and fully loaded (21).

Cheers, Paolo

15964B87-7D48-4A7C-B41B-757150DACCA4.png

Edited by mc65

here I am, I checked the wheel track, and as you may see, it's 112mm, considering the centre wheel as datum. that means a difference of +20cm in the real aircraft, a difference I can deal with, considering the excursion of the whole landing gear structure and the presence on board of two stretchers and a man.

IMG_8165.jpeg

either, is possible to adjust it (not in this phase, obviously) bending the metal core of the legs and adjusting these in the holes drilled in the lower parts of the undercarriage, an operation that I wouldn't try, definetly.

here we say "don't wake up the sleeping dog", you know... :rolleyes:

cheers, Paolo

This is really inspiring and cant wait to see the final result.  Magnificent!  I was never really interested in this aircraft.  But im inspired to get one and attempt to emulate your work.   OUTSTANDING SIR!

PS....don't tweak the landing gear.  To much risk for something only a very very few would see.  

thank you for the attention!

sure I won't try to move the undercarriage legs for any reason, it seems to me a miracle that it seats on these without troubles!

well, it's time to arrange a decent base for the scene I have in mind. assembled a simple "mc-standard" wooden flat base, I tried different elements configurations, this one seems to be the winner:

IMG_4857.jpeg

the area on the right of the airplane remains a little bit empty, but that's it. the focus of the action is on the stretcher bearers, so I drew an imaginary line on the stretcher's axle toward the two standing men near the cockpit, letting the left wing and fuselage lines working as orthogonal lines to force if not the prospective, at least the observer's view. well, more or less.

IMG_4893.HEIC 

wanting to give a title to the diorama, one could be "back home ticket", I guess...

IMG_4729.HEIC

ok, I think this is the best arrangement with the available elements, I'm not enthusiast about that, there isn't any of the pathos of the bundesarchiv's image, may be more dinamic posture of the figures should work better, but I'm not a sculptor, no way about that.

so, I'm trying some kinds of materials and effects to cover the base, this is something closer I want to obtain: a sligthly, wind blown, dry snow covered terrain.

IMG_6108.HEIC

to be continued...

cheers, Paolo

Edited by mc65