1/32 Fi 156D1 Hasegawa-Revell

mc65

thank you all, I'm really glad it ecounters your approvation!

today I show the last steps before camo painting and the figures, next to be called completed.

in a session nearer to the ship in a bottle modeling than aircraft one, I build up the last cockpit internal structure. this kind of support seems to be peculiar of the D-1 type, being necessary to support in the closed position the hinged down big rear windows.

port side, opened,

IMG_3213.HEIC

and starboard side, closed.

IMG_3214.HEIC

then I added the inspection doors made by plasticard discs on the wing surface

IMG_3296.HEIC

and PE fuel and oil filling doors. here also the central step pad, made by alu foil from a cheese packaging.

IMG_3337.HEIC

and the strange double fixed vertical fin trim tab, for this one I used anchovy paste tube (yes, I spent quite some time in kitchen, also).

IMG_3340.HEIC

what else... I drilled out a number of drain holes in the underwing

IMG_3392.HEIC

and added Archer decal rivets and stitching, wonderful products.

IMG_3344.HEIC

IMG_3343.HEIC

that's it for external details. I added also on the fuselage flare tube, fuel drain plug, blocks for the folding wings and rudder rod cover, but I think these are not worth specific pictures, we'll see these after, possibly.

about the stretcher bearers, I think that I have reached my limit. they need just some mud to be armonized with the dio base.

IMG_4423.HEIC

IMG_4425.HEIC

IMG_4426.HEIC

IMG_4427.HEIC

I also arranged the last two figures, a pilot and an officer, these still need much more attention to be completed.

IMG_4433.HEIC

well, that's it for today... next step, some RLM colors on the aircraft!

cheers, P.

thank you all!

just to tone down my self esteem, I'll show some not-so-good progress... I started the painting process from the underside, choosing to paint macroparts disassembled, due to the complex nature of this airplane's structure. so wings, fuselage, landing gear etc. it seemed a good idea, until I realized I painted two LH elevators.

IMG_3371.HEIC

I want to kick by myself, when such things happen... not a big issue to deal with, ok, but these are the bell that I have the mind somewhere else, and I don't like that. so, to correct that, I stepped forward to the upper colors, using gunze laquer ones.

IMG_3511.HEIC

i found a nice reference to the splinter scheme, but curiosely it doesn't match with the kit proportions, especially on the wing, so I adjusted it to cover the parts at best. well, at my best.

IMG_3622.HEIC

I was a little concerned about the cockpit area masking, just hoping to not mess with it.

IMG_3623.HEIC

then, I shooted some white for the red cross insignia and as a base for the yellow areas. only after having done that, I realized that the insignia were located in different position on the underside from the upper side. grunt. so, abrasive paste, and retouch the area.

IMG_3758.HEIC

and white, again.

IMG_3759.HEIC

next step, red crosses and black lettering. finger crossed.

cheers, Paolo.

thank you, gents!

one step beyond (madness, 1979): some red and black paint, and further oversights.<_<

I searched on the web for right lettering , then copyied and scaled it. I'm definetly analogic, so no computer based printers or cutters. I cut these on body shop tape with a sharp #11 blade, and painted on by airbrush, old style modeling. sometimes I get these things acceptable, more times not, well, in this case we are more toward the latter.

but stop talking, let's see. I desumed crosses position and dimension by the historical pictures.

IMG_3932.HEIC

slightly better on fuselage, especially considering that I have idea to play with mud on it.

IMG_3811.HEIC

I consider the cowling acceptable too, it needs some fit adjustment, but I'm confident about that.

IMG_3934.jpeg

I eventually found on the kit's decal sheet the right decal for the flare box built in the pilot's door, an Eduard's item. it was not indicated on the instruction, and being white on white I had not initially seen it.

IMG_3985.HEIC

then something that often happens to me in this stage showed again: in the frenzy to see the model assembled, I skip some passage.

I tried in position rudder and elevators, and was so glad to discover that the pins I positioned in the fuselage consent a little movement of the entire tailplane, so to show the trim's excursion at will, that I glued these without before paint the Werke Number, that has to be done by handbrush.

paint it after was a pain-you-know-where, and after several trying, I stopped here.

IMG_3926.HEIC

also, I was so apprehensive about the landing gear's strength, that I glued it before I completed the engine area. ok, not a big problem, in the end. being here, I scratchbuilt the upper legs footsteps, missing in the kit.

IMG_3898.HEIC

to be continued...

cheers, Paolo