1/32 Fi 156D1 Hasegawa-Revell

mc65

Hi all,
not having found an appropriate section where introduce myself, I'll do here: Paolo, writing from Italy (and my english is a little rusty, so please be patient with it). I have resumed modeling after the classic hiatus due to real life, family, work, you name it all.
now I have some unexpected free time, and I decided to start projects that I thought I would keep for retirement, anticipating the times. 
being a 1/32-35 scale fan, I now and then have a look here. really great show, gents! the "click" that moved me to sign up was a work done here by a senior member that build a kit more or less in the same days I did it too, with the very same premises, and adopting a bunch of solutions with very same mental shape. I was really astonished by that, realinzing that if I was here at that building time, not only I would have the chanche by learn a lot on that specific kit, but maybe I may give my little contribution on it.
but, being that build completed, I propose here a project still on the bench on these days.
all started form this picture:

IMG_9294.JPG 

actually I have the Revell box on the stash since at least 15 years, and the original sprues were Hasegawa from late 70ies, nevertless I found this kit a little (well, not so little) gem.

IMG_1724.HEIC

to wich, in the years, I have added some aftermarket items.

IMG_1726.HEIC

I started scaling up some drawings from 1/35 to 1/32 and checking the cuts to be done in the aft fuselage to obtain a D-1. being here, to test the styrene response, I cut out the rudder

IMG_2098.JPG

and the elevators from the horizontal stabilizer

IMG_2099.JPG

as you may see, there are some little differencies in the shape of the control surfaces, according to the drawings. I decided to be not so picky, and carry on leaving these as are. being a little more suspicious, I should have check also the other measures... later we'll see I made a mistake, trusting blindly the profiles. 

so, dragged by enthusiasm, I opened the rear doors and modified the windows, cutting away the few internal details of the fuselage, and rebuild them with evergreen round profiles.

IMG_2032.HEIC

to be continued... cheers, P.

thank you all, glad this one finds your interest!

Fab, I live in sardegna, the other big mediterranean's island. but, being a crew member of an airline, I spent a lot of my duty period out of home in Sicilia in the past +20 years... actually I know better Catania or Lampedusa than the Sardegna's inland!

well, ready to episode two? to be honest, the building, albeit incomplete, is well ahead, but the process to upload the pictures in slow, and to do not overcharge a single post with too many of them I'm proceeding by little steps, if you don't mind.  

so, having determined how much of the fuselage interior will bee visible from outside, I elongated the floor, try a stretcher, and started to put in some Eduard PE.

IMG_2019.HEIC

and, having two seats, I put a Magic sculpt cushion on one of them.

IMG_2026.HEIC

being the idea of depicting the plane in a little diorama, inspired by the Bundesarchiv photo, I tried some figures in the passenger's role. this one seems not too bad, to me. to obtain a better view of the cabin area, I cut the left hand aft window, since in all the WWII pictures this appears the way to insert the stretchers in.

IMG_2082.HEIC

and, being the cockpit the focus of this model, I began to work on the fuselage structure, using Evergreen round profiles (the white ones, the grey ones are as per kit).

IMG_2047.HEIC

it was a trial and error work, but less insane than may it appear, really!

IMG_2070.HEIC

a little bit more challenging was replicate the tubular strucutre wich supports the windows, due to the interaction and tight fit with the fuselage one.

IMG_2075.HEIC

so far pure fun, but now starts the tricky part: I was worried about the strenght of the undercarriage, in the end all the weight of the model discharges on the internal fuselage's structure front beam, being the latter supported by the transparent part, whose glue points will be minimal.

so, I tried to insert within the main beam a segment of copper tube, this should add internal rigidity to the undercarriage, and guarantee that it will seat straight and level, too.

IMG_2204.HEIC

that's all for tonight, gents, next step, some color!

greetings, P.

Edited by mc65
pushed the wrong button...

thank you, in this episode we speak about three different areas:

1) cockpit. I started, after some considerations, to paint the interior. I convinced myself to use RLM66 in the front office, and RLM02 in the back area and in the engine compartment. actually in some pictures the rear stretcher area seems almost white, but it doesn't make too much sense, so i opted for the 02.

IMG_2846.HEIC

2) tail area. while the cockpit colors where drying, I worked in this area, cutting down the kit's slots to connect horizontal stabilizer and fuselage. here before the cure,

IMG_2201.HEIC

...and after. 

IMG_2203.HEIC

after some filling and sanding on the fuselage, here is the result: now the tailplane seats as should be, connected with the fuselage by two axles, being the aft one pivoting, and the fore one moving up and down, giving the pilot the power to trim the plane's pitch up or down. the third axle is obviously the elevator axle, connected with the up/down controls of the cloche.

IMG_2994.HEIC

well, at this point I may close the fuselage halves, and start to add little details from outside. here throttle and mixture controls; flaps cranck handle and chain (wrong position of the latter); trim indicator; panel light; pilot's seat with back folding seat; aileron control rod and so on.

IMG_3178.HEIC

I also painted the interior of the windows, adding the compass (managing to put the decal upside down, bravo) and its light.

IMG_3177.HEIC

3) engine area. the kit's engine is pretty nice, and quite complete, although a little bit poor in deep of details. so I tried to cut deeper cylinder's cooling blades with a micro saw, here before the subsequent passage with sandpaper to rectify these.

IMG_1840.HEIC

also, the upper cowling is molded as one piece togheter with the fuselage. so I decided to cut off the cowling, and try to build the engine capable to be seen, assembling the cowling inserting micro magnets within the thickness of the cowlings panels, so it can be open on demand.

IMG_2247.HEIC

then I added few plugs and wires to the engine,

IMG_2279.HEIC

and started painting it.

IMG_2997.HEIC

well, for tonight it seems to me enough to bore you, so I'll quite here.

to the next episode!

greetings, P.

thank you, Antonio!

yes, digging on the books i have and on the web I found at least two images of GA +TH, W.nr. 5228. I hope to do not harm anyone posting those here, the only intent is on behaf of study and discussion.

IMG_2022.PNG

IMG_2023.PNG

the two pictures says some interesting things, to me: this aircraft has been in the standard splinter scheme, but also, in a period of his operational life, it sported whitewash camo and skis instead of the wheels.

also, we have the proof that it crashed, in a moment of its life. that's very important to me to quiet down the anxiety due to the kit's high and apparently flimsy landing gear, so, in case it should not be strong enough, I may depict the bad landing scene!

needing a couple of stretcher for the diorama I have in mind, I built two of these with wood and kleenex, and started to assemble two patients and four carriers:

IMG_2635.HEIC

the four have a mix of Hermann Goering division's uniforms that attest the period between 1943 and 1944, but being the scene I want to depict pure speculation, I will leave the things as are, I'll just use resin heads.

IMG_2615.HEIC

cheers, P.

from here on, the game gets complicated...

one of my many weakness is on figures painting, i never achieve a result that I may call fully satisfactory. well, that's my be(a)st. the blue-green clothes of the HG are not well depicted, and I was reluctant to add any "pulp factor", so just light wounds, here.

IMG_2893.HEIC

another little big complication I discovered was in the HG camo splinter pattern: it wasn't the heer's standard one, but it had smaller pattern and slight different colors, it's commonly called "splinter B".

to paint it on figures big as my thumb was a nightmare, here we are in progress:

IMG_4157.HEIC

meanwhile, I played around the engine, adding oil tank and lines, some electric wires, air intakes and ducts,

IMG_3298.HEIC

and this plate that appears on pictures, but of wich I don't understand the use. I emulated it with a soda can plate and a little gizmo.

IMG_3300.HEIC

then I pressed on with the fuselage: glued on the big window, and tested the landing gear. hey, it seems to hold!

IMG_3311.HEIC

not so bad... but doing the aft doors, and comparing these with the pictures of the real ones, I realized the holes i cut in the fusealge are wrong.

IMG_3024.HEIC

IMG_2107.PNG

now is too late to correct the hole, so the only thing I can do is to adjust the door's internal frame to disguise a little bit the mistake.

IMG_3206.jpeg

sigh. modeling is suffering, I know...

cheers, P.