What's the best primer for photo etch, please?

Citadelgrad

I am having a lot of trouble getting paint to stick to the PE on my P47, specifically the large (relatively) intercooler doors, the paint just brushes off and if I have to mask, forget it.  

Can I use a metal primer that etches?  Anything else stick?  Tamiya fine?

Losing my mind here.  

I've had success using both Mr. Color thinner (both leveling and regular) as well as Tamiya Fine white/gray over PE parts.  The secret here is prep; just make sure your PE is slightly etched if possible so the primer has something to bite onto, and after that, using something like lacquer thinner or 91% alcohol to clean the bare PE before priming. 

I think a lot of people tend to go over their photo etch fret sheet with a sanding sponge or something to ever so slightly roughen up the surface to make paint stick better. I have yet to try this myself.

Btw, I think I've learned that, once some photo etch is airbrushed with primer, I have to let it go hard, otherwise, if a sanding stick touches the edges, the paint might start partially flaking off and wiggling, half stuck to the surface.

On 9/8/2021 at 7:46 AM, Archer Fine Transfers said:

Three words - Self Etching Primer.

Run, don't walk to your nearest auto-parts store.

This, all day long. Ace Hardware even has actual zinc chromate etching primer in green and yellow. I just wouldn't recommend decanting it and using it in your airbrush.

• 3 weeks later...

I will second what the Helmsman said, this stuff is great. The key is minimal brush strokes, and let it be. Paint seems to stick well after this. The only limitation I can see is fine p.e. mesh detail. If you apply too much, it will fill the screens….but a small price to pay for its qualities. I have heard of folks airbrushing it on complex brass assemblies before attaching said details to their models, but I have not tried it myself…..

Thor    :ph34r:

On 9/13/2021 at 11:29 AM, Helmsman said:

2007198451.jpg