Kawanishi N1K1-Ja "George"

Rick Griewski

I want to finally build the historical pair to my REX float plane (conversion).  A friend picked up this "builder's kit" for me (2004) and later as it turned out that

it was missing as few parts.  The missing parts were covered/replaced magically by the extras from my REX conversion.  I will dedicate this build to my friend Charlie Metz.  This IIRC was the last contest build he completed and the "scrounger" that found the kit for me.  The kit has been reviewed on this site so I will not dwell is its history and description.

pmGgjIbgj

Not many references but much from this type may be inferred from the REX.

popP6aSij

Yikes!  Waldron instrument panel components. As I said the box has been sitting since 2004.  I did order the BrenGun PE set for the Hasegawa N1K2 kit.

pmhFHA8Cj

pm3ymXWkj

pm4FauM8j

Edited by Rick Griewski
added missing words

I will use the Hasegawa N1K2 kit as a source for areas of the Revell kit that are missing, provide a better representation and missing (e.g., landing gear bay, more accurate engine and cockpit).  I am not looking forward to the re-scribe so that maybe tackled first. 

pnbmArB0j

The N1K2 cockpit fits well.  I will used this as as starting point for scratch building.

pnHuJ7Buj

pntqYpIYj

I am sure other shared uses will show up along the way.  The RTV and fresh resin are on the way.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Many times joining a group build while owning a lake house is a curse... Now back at the bench.  I decided the cost of RTV, resin and time was more expensive than using a Hasegawa N1K2 as a donor.  I bought it as a show for about $35.

I have completed scribing the exterior of this old girl.  Very hard plastic.  I did not sand off all the details yet.  I may keep a lot after a strategic smoothing and priming.  A few places will need to be repaired. But very good enough for now.  I find it interesting that the panel lines and other surface detail match the Maru Mechanic drawings. I enlarged the drawings +- to 1/32 scale of course.  I then rubbed the surfaces with artist drawing graphite that I borrowed from my artist wife.  Makes all the lines and detail to avoid very visible.

popZzIMPj

poUXsCgqj

I discovered that the exhaust configuration and the exhaust pipes are too different to use directly.  The N1K2 exhaust configuration has two ventral pipes.  So I made the N1K1 pipes work.  They need to be made to look more separate.  But the size looks good to me.

pm61PHDGj

N1K2 exhaust manifold. 

poshB37Oj

Revell N1K1 “spaghetti machine” 

pnvrQmR8j

Exhausts need a bit more definition 

pn4eL5wdj

Edited by Rick Griewski
Clarifications