Anyone built the new ICM AH-1G yet?

Confusionreigns178

I've received the late production kit, and just wrapped up an IBR of it. Hopefully should be published soon.

Since I haven't really even looked at my bench in 5 or 6 months, I'm planning on giving it a thorough cleaning, then starting the AH-1 late.

I can't speak to the rotors, but the surface detail is really nice. I'll see more once I get into fit.

Hi, Out2gtcha.

Thanks for the reply. I have been told that one regular at my LMS has built it and said it has no major fit issues. From examining in the box, it looks like ICM have done a great job. At last, I can sell my two Revell versions off. I'm looking forward to some very cool aftermarket decals coming out ("Squatter Swatter" would be a very popular one, I'm sure). 

Cheers. 

Chris.  

I have paint on mine despite not completing the cockpit yet. Fit is absolutely superb, as is the surface detail on the fuselage. Cockpit detail is lacking, but what detail is there is sharply rendered. Same goes for the transmission and rotor.

I've been installing the new Quinta cockpit set in mine, and it makes a significant improvement.

7 hours ago, John1 said:

I’m on the fence as to whether to build this kit or wait for the 35th release.  Decisions, decisions..,.

I am like John1, I am very tempted but I have already the AH-1W and AH-1Z in the display cabinet so I was thinking of waiting for the 1/35 release so they can be posed next to each other. I hope the 1/35 gets release before Christmas.

Cheers,

David

6 hours ago, Confusionreigns178 said:

I've been wondering how noticeable the size difference between the 1/32nd and 1/35th versions will be? Would you only really notice if you have them alongside each other? Or really obvious?

Chris. 

You would be surprised. A more than 9% difference is not minor.

6 hours ago, Phantom2 said:

Tamiya wanted their tanks to be motorized and the smallest possible size to get in a motor and batteries in the model was to do it in 1/35th scale.

Stefan :D

That is the company line, but it makes no sense. Their first kit was the Panther, one of the largest of the German AFV's. So why would they design the size around that one? They immediately ran into trouble when they got to their first release of the PzIV: they had to oversize the lower hull to make the motor fit!

Also, one of their original philosophies was to keep models in one scale: they were the first to do this with a ship series and it was extremely popular, it was what helped them to grow. So why wouldn't they do that with AFV's? There was already several 1/32nd kits out there.

My theory is they wanted to do it in 1/32nd but made a math error, and by the time they realized it, it was too late, and their new kits were successful so stayed with it.