HK Models 1/32 B-17E/F WIP

Gil Hodges

Been a few weeks as the figures gave me some fits....like I figured they would! However, this is the end result.....over all as planned except for moving the top turret guy to the waist area because he'd interfere with the fit and ease of taking the top section of the fuselage on and off. Overall, I'm pleased....these are the first figures I've tried to "seriously" paint in a decade or more; though I'm sure more experienced painters will cringe a bit!

001_(14).jpg

267246898_505369130765112_49010672177308

003_(7).jpg

270114317_926303561592160_84869031014239

268178036_342573387688251_31346177218040

011_(2).jpg

By the way, the ball turret is just siting in position....next step is to close her up and start sanding seams!

Gil

Edited by Gil Hodges

To start the new year I can post that the fuselage is now together!

The fit of the halves was good to marginal, as can be expected with a large kit with a LOT of interior detail that has to fit inside precisely to get a good fit. Some sections fit pretty well with a "normal" seam, while other sections left 1/16-1/8in gaps. All of the seams were filled with gel superglue and immediately sanded smooth.

The separate top section was also worked on, as the client wants it to remain removable. The windshield and side glass parts were cemented in place (EXCELLENT fit for those!) and some trimming and sanding done to get the best "loose" fit when placed on the fuselage.

There's still a ways to go to get ready for the tail planes and wings to be added, but at least this may be the first true step towards "finishing this project!
001_(16).jpg

You can see that I had to shave the pilot (and copilot's) shoulders to help better the fit of the top fuselage section...
002_(9).jpg

The bottom seams are worse than the top seams, with gaps from 1/16-1/8in most of the way. This may simply be due to all of the interior parts that have to fit precisely (or else), or perhaps due to builder's error (or both). Still, not totally unexpected and nothing an experienced seam filler can't handle.

004_(7).jpg

006_(4).jpg

Feels good to take a big step forward!

Gil B)

Now we're getting somewhere.....the initial painting is done! Base coated the tops and bottoms (painting the fuselage and wings separately) with Tamiya rattle can OD and Neutral Gray. The masking for the demarcation lines was done with Tamiya tape, rolled up lengthwise; with the big areas behind it masked off with blue painter's tape.

I then spent most of this afternoon airbrushing MM 34086 OD and Neutral Gray to touch up the camo edges; followed by lightening both paints to get slightly lighter colors for post shading; which was then followed by a light misting of the original colors to tone down the post shading.

A second, lighter OD color from Tamiya was used for the fabric covered ailerons, elevators, and rudder; and they were counter shaded in the same manner. There's still quite a ways to go on the finish with general weathering, panel line emphasis, chipping, and exhaust stains all yet to be done. But that's for next week!

001_(17).jpg

003_(8).jpg

008.jpg

006_(5).jpg

Getting there....slowly but surely!

Gil

• 3 weeks later...

Been plodding along the last 2 weeks....got the de-icer boots painted, the wing walk stripes applied, the decals in place, a sludge wash applied, the exhausts stains done (and redone, and redone...), and some chipping applied.

003_(9).jpg

004_(8).jpg

001_(18).jpg

006_(6).jpg

With a little luck she may get on her gear this weekend!  :)

Gil B)

The 1/32 HK B-17E, "Old 666" is done! I still need to make the base for it, but the model is completed. To review, there's no less than 5 Eduard detail sets throughout the interior, plus Brassin' tires, Brassin' engines and cowls, afermarket gun barrels, and a full crew of resin figures. And, the top of the fuselage was left to be removable, which is why there's a gap back by the fin...

001.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

007.jpg

009.jpg

011.jpg

018.jpg

020.jpg

022.jpg

023.jpg

024.jpg

Gil