PA-18-150 finished

chrish

9 hours ago, MikeC said:

Superb!  :goodjob:  Particularly glad to see you've made a success of the cowlings, I know how hard it is to get them to fit properly.

1 hour ago, dmthamade said:

Great build, chrish, and a canadian plane to boot!! Cowl was a battle for my build, "deleted" a lot of the engine details to fit cowl, didn't help i got alignment of the engine wrong.

Don

Thanks a lot! I think I got lucky, I wasn’t aware there were cowling fit problems but, fitting the engine mounts as suggested in the instructions (very early on) seemed like a bad idea to me so I pushed it back to closer to the end of the build.
I assembled the top and bottom cowls to the nose piece and before the glue dried and while the assembly was still adjustable I assembled the mounts to the firewall and engine to the mounts, then set the cowl assembly on loosely (not glued) overtop to set the assemblies as straight as I could get and went for a walk…leaving it all alone. I could then later remove the cowls, mask the engine and finish the paint work. The cowls are at this time fitted with PVA glue.

I guess that looked after the cowl fit problem? Again, I’d say more by luck than design.

1 hour ago, chrish said:

Thanks a lot! I think I got lucky, I wasn’t aware there were cowling fit problems but, fitting the engine mounts as suggested in the instructions (very early on) seemed like a bad idea to me so I pushed it back to closer to the end of the build.
I assembled the top and bottom cowls to the nose piece and before the glue dried and while the assembly was still adjustable I assembled the mounts to the firewall and engine to the mounts, then set the cowl assembly on loosely (not glued) overtop to set the assemblies as straight as I could get and went for a walk…leaving it all alone. I could then later remove the cowls, mask the engine and finish the paint work. The cowls are at this time fitted with PVA glue.

I guess that looked after the cowl fit problem? Again, I’d say more by luck than design.

Your way does make more sense. I had built and mounted the engine to firewall. Cowl was assembled, allowed to dry. When i tried to dry fit these two, fit was way off. In the end, i cut away most of the engine, glued the oil cooler to the lower cowl, and used IIRC one of the disc brake parts to locate the prop. I do remember the engine was a nicely detailed assembly, doing a cowl off build with a detailed engine would make a nice diorama scene.

Don

3 hours ago, Alain Gadbois said:

What a beauty!

I like the vintage looking red trim a lot.

I can almost hear the sound of little waves clapping along the floats on a Canadian lake.

Alain

Thanks mates

just wait Alain, there’s a bit of a diorama going with the little Piper right now involving some “Woodland Scenics” water and a rocky shoreline, pictures soon…maybe  

Edited by chrish
Typo

23 hours ago, chrish said:

Thanks mates

just wait Alain, there’s a bit of a diorama going with the little Piper right now involving some “Woodland Scenics” water and a rocky shoreline, pictures soon…maybe  

Need to include a canoe, maybe a Loon or two...box of Molson Ex, eh.

Don

• chrish changed the title to PA-18-150 finished

Hi I'm back again with the last touch up's

I built a bit of a base, my first attempt at this kind of thing so, be gentle.

lZ72GoF.jpg

VH4bBc8.jpg

OsIvy9d.jpg

DyIq3Ns.jpg

OqGbf12.jpg

EalKxmI.jpg

yxnsvql.jpg

oShWp5i.jpg

sharp eyed may note the glue around the veneer (balsa) stained with Vallejo leather brown is still a bit milky in it's drying stage. 

Thanks for looking