Bf109G-6 Swiss airforce

Dukie99

I will join the GB a 109G-6 in Swiss air force markings. I had ditched the flimsy box shortly after purchase but it is still unstarted. The content of the box and the aftermarket I have for it, with some more on the way.

i-p8TNBRD-L.jpg

i-c2pQhvK-L.jpg

I will make a start this week-end but I am trying to finish the MH-60S I had started for the Navy GB, which stalled due to a combination of Summer holidays, extremely poor instructions and lack of knowledge on the subject matter. I finally got to the painting stage and cannot wait to be done with it.

Cheers,

David

On 9/4/2021 at 4:57 PM, Phantom2 said:

Hi David!

Not only have You chosen the same kit as I, but exactly the same subject!

That Swiss Schmitt is totally irresisteble, that´s for sure!

Great minds think alike!

This will be fun! :punk:

Stefan :beer:

Hi  Stefan, sorry about this I had no idea that this was the scheme you had chosen, I would have picked another scheme. This being said, I am not a Bf109 afficionado, I have only built almost 10 years ago, Trumpeter E in Swiss markings and I always wanted to do the G and maybe one day the D, in order to have a complete collection of Swiss Bf-109. The G in Switzerland has an interesting story, they were acquired in late 44 following a bf-110G night fighter equipped with Germany's most modern radar landing in Dübendorf, Switzerland. The Germans did not want the Bf-110 to fall in allied hands, and requested that Switzerland return the aircraft, which Switzerland refused to do on ground of neutrality. The Germans threatened to bomb Dübendorf airport or send commando but eventually Switzerland agreed to let the Germans military to blow up the plane at the airport in exchange for 12 brand new G-6. I have this book as reference and it is very comprehensive.

i-D3vfJqF-L.jpg

One day I will buy the HPH 1/18 Bf-109 to produce a proper Swiss E (but I need to retire first...).  On to the Revell kit, parts of the cockpit have been painted and assembled, not going crazy here, I am for a relaxing build to be done within the assigned timeframe...

i-PTCgZKn-L.jpg

i-sRtpF9g-L.jpg

i-W2cMTcc-L.jpg

i-kZzkCGR-L.jpg

Now I need to build and install the HGW seatbelts and then I can think of closing the fuselage.

Cheers,

David

In my dads early working days he was at Ford Motor Company and worked with a man who flew the 109 in Switzerland. He mentioned that the E models were quite nice, but the G's were piles of rubbish with poor manufacturing and serviceability. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2021 at 6:24 AM, BradG said:

In my dads early working days he was at Ford Motor Company and worked with a man who flew the 109 in Switzerland. He mentioned that the E models were quite nice, but the G's were piles of rubbish with poor manufacturing and serviceability. 

Hi Brad, this is exactly what the book said about the Gs acquired by Switzerland: poor manufacturing and serviceability. I guess this is what you get for making a deal with the devil...

On the build, I have installed the hgW belts and closed the fuselage. The fit of this kit is so far very good and I am enjoying this build.

i-pM7QbRG-L.jpg

i-6crrLDs-L.jpg

Cheers,

David