Changes at KLP!

LSP_Kevin

31 minutes ago, Hawkwrench said:

Kev, when is the timeline for Pete's awesome HH-60G build book?

I can't wait to order it!

Tim

It's a little way off yet, unfortunately Tim. I'm hoping for the back half of next year, but I have a couple of other books and a huge house move to get through first. Perhaps I could convince you to sample one of our other titles first? :whistle:

https://www.klp.com.au/shop/

Kev

1 hour ago, Hawkwrench said:

No rush, I can wait. Your move is more important.

That Bird Dog build looks pretty sweet!

What are the updates for an ebook?

Additional pics???

Tim

It can be anything from fixing a typo to adding a whole new section to the book. As the format evolves, I sometimes go back to earlier titles and make adjustments to bring them in line with more recent releases. For example, starting with Building Large Scale Sci-Fi & Fantasy Models, I introduced a new Contents page, with clickable links to the listed sections in the book. Since then, I've modified all the earlier titles by adding a similar to Contents page to them. With the Birddog book specifically, one of the updates included new photos and information from Rob Fox, who (at the time) owned the aircraft that is the subject of the book's Walkaround section.

I know everybody prefers physical books (someone on Facebook even commented on one of my posts by calling eBooks "futile"), and I certainly understand why. I like them too! But there really is a lot of utility inherent in the digital format that you just can't get from a physical book. And as far as my customers are concerned, the best part about these updates is that you get free life-time access to them for any book you purchase. You can't beat that with stick!

Kev

2 hours ago, Hawkwrench said:

Heck no!

I like the digital format idea also.

When you make the ebook, do you just cherry-pick the posts and pics or you basically start at the beginning of the builder's 1st post?

Tim

The answer to this is the age-old classic: it depends! Generally, though, the books represent a distillation of the build threads (where one applies), minus all the fluff, sidetracks, tangents, and feedback. Sometimes I'm able to use photos or other content that wasn't posted in the build thread. For example, Karim's title on the Wingnut Wings AEG G.IV features several technique tutorials that are unique to the book. A great deal of effort goes into reorganising the content so that it flows logically through the book, and most of them include additional material (artwork, historical notes, walkaround photos, etc) that adds value to the overall package, so to speak. When Eric saw Rob Fox's walkaround photos in the Birddog book, he commented that he wished he'd had those when he was building the model!

Kev

2 minutes ago, Hawkwrench said:

Ah, I see. 

Thanks for KLP publishing Kev. I might end up buying the bird dog ebook and impatiently wait for Pete's build book! Lol

Tim

You're quite welcome to, Tim! In fact, I encourage it!

In looking at my schedule, there's an outside chance that Pete's book might be ready by mid-next year, but I'm thinking early Q3 is more likely. It shouldn't be any later than that, though, I reckon.

Kev