Hasegawa's 1/32 Fw 190A-8

b737flyer

This project has been a long time coming and I'm excited to finally get things going. As you can see I've been collecting aftermarket for quite some time now and the recent release of the Aires resin cockpit for the Hasegawa kit was more or less the "missing link" that was needed to jumpstart the project. So, stay tuned and hopefully I'll be able to keep the motivation flowing!

TEzxo01.jpg

FCfw2hr.jpg

eKjcG2M.jpg

Edited by b737flyer

Speaking of the cockpit, I'll start with a comparison of the kit offering from Hasegawa and the newly released Aires resin set. The Aires cockpit (foreground) has some excellent detail to include the seat, side consoles, and the floor. The real bonus, however, is the corrected coaming section for under the windscreen area. Hasegawa has this integrally molded into the fuselage halves and incorrectly depicts both the position of the gunsight and the coaming itself. While the Aires part requires some cutting of the kit parts to replace, I think it will definitely improve this area which is highly visible in the cockpit. The instrument panel is the traditional PE-acetate sandwich that I may replace with a Quinta 3d printed set if I can get my hands on one.

xTDSL6S.jpg

15 hours ago, b737flyer said:

that I may replace with a Quinta 3d printed set if I can get my hands on one.

I don't think Quinta makes one for the A8, but Red Fox does. As fas as I know, Quinta only makes one for the A5 which I have just to get the harness and a few other bits missing from the Red Fox set. 

Edited by Archer Fine Transfers

Great to see another Wurger build!  Thanks for the comparison between the Aires and kit cockpit!  Out of all of the different ways that instrument panels are presented, I actually prefer the PE/acetate sandwich approach.

I'm curious about the mounts for the wing cannons.  The D-9 kit, which I think provides the base plastic for the A-8 release, portrays the mounts as some sort of leather boot and may not be accurate.

IMG-1185-zpsnhyycdhj.jpg

John,
In my opinion not accurate.
Part F9 might work for the MG17 armed A1 but not for anything not MG17 armed.
The MG 151/20 mount required is nicely done in Souki Maru's Ta152 H.
I'm sure someone will be along momentarily to list A/M providers.

On 9/2/2021 at 1:25 PM, Thunnus said:

I'm curious about the mounts for the wing cannons.  The D-9 kit, which I think provides the base plastic for the A-8 release, portrays the mounts as some sort of leather boot and may not be accurate.

John…you’re correct, they are the same in the 190A-8 kit and are not an accurate representation. The Aires resin wheel well set for the 190A-8 looks better but I’ve not read anything good about the fit of that set. More to follow…

Aside from the canon base, wich i will have to mod too in my build, i’ll be following along your progress with attention.

Nice to see that Aires finally got a cockpit out for this model. It’s looking quite good, especially the vertical area behind the seat.
On the down side, too bad they just copied the hasegawa seat itself, wich is rather inaccurate.

Cheers. 
Mathieu

Edited by MDuv

On 9/4/2021 at 1:02 PM, Thunnus said:

On my D-9 builds, I replaced the kit guns/boots with a set of Quickboost resin guns, which have the metal boots and are a drop-in fit for the Hasegawa 190 kit.

IMG-3151-1.jpg

Thanks for that John...I have an older Quickboost set for the D-9 that has canvas boots but I did find the newer set and ordered several today!

6 hours ago, MDuv said:

Aside from the canon base, wich i will have to mod too in my build, i’ll be following along your progress with attention.

Nice to see that Aires finally got a cockpit out for this model. It’s looking quite good, especially the vertical area behind the seat.
On the down side, too bad they just copied the hasegawa seat itself, wich is rather inaccurate.

Cheers. 
Mathieu

After more careful examination I agree Mathieu...I might have to source a more accurate seat from another manufacturer.

I didn't get much accomplished at the bench this holiday weekend but I managed to test fit the resin cockpit coaming piece provided by Aires in their set. As mentioned previously, the Hasegawa kit has this part molded integrally with the fuselage halves. The location of the gun sight is too far forward resulting in a piece missing from the coaming.

A picture is worth a thousand words here...

5TwWJ1S.jpg

After some careful surgery with a razor saw, the kit parts are removed on both halves of the fuselage...

GUUqiGM.jpg

And here we have the Aires part tacked in place with some Blu-tak to check the fit. Some tweaking is still necessary but overall it's a huge improvement. The rectangular area directly behind the coaming still needs to be removed with a sharp hobby blade. A portion of the gunsight will ultimately come up through this cutout.

BeDSvPy.jpg

More importantly, the kit's windscreen still fits perfectly.

9lLlym3.jpg