KASL F-16 goodies just released

Kagemusha

Quick question: Is there any aftermarket kit for the parachute part on the tail that extends out on some variants of the F-16?

I looked over the sprues for the Tamiya 1:32 F-16C, but nothing there. Hasegawa did make an F-16A with the extended shape for a parachute, but this was in 1:48.

KASL make a tailfin with the extension for the brake chute.  Howwever this is representative of the Taiwanese Block 20s in that it has the wedge shaped fairing on top of the tailfin (like the C/D models) rather than the smaller "lump" just above the rudder similar to the A/B models.  Have a look at pics, and you will see what I mean.  The KASL tail also misses the RWR fairings that are mounted either side at the rear.

One thing I noticed with the KAS exhaust - that doughnut panel (that fits to the fuselage looks a bit suspect.  The lower profile should be fairly straight, not concave, and makes me think the nozzle will be undersized.  Unfortunately, the REs-Kit nozzle doesn't include that doughnut panel,  so it may be best to modify the kit item.

PWMP makes several different tailfin bases for the Tamiya kit. 

IMG_20160613_174833-600x449.jpg

IMG_20160929_220859-600x450.jpg

I used this one on my stalled Polish F-16. I ended up cutting off the rear bit and just used that so I could keep the more secure mounting of the stock tail.

IMG_20160929_231955-600x450.jpg

You could also see if anyone who built the Academy kit didn't use the parabrake tail and has it in their spares box. I have no idea on the fit though.

Carl

22 hours ago, Breaker said:

I don't think so. I modified mine so that I could put the gear in after I'd painted the plane and it's still going strong. Just remove the side pegs and glue it firmly in place on the tab that's left. 

ok. I feel like the strut would ride too high on the cross supports of the wheel well. The way the original Tamiya parts go together have you inserting the strut underneath those supports-

just my two cents

37 minutes ago, Pete Fleischmann said:

ok. I feel like the strut would ride too high on the cross supports of the wheel well. The way the original Tamiya parts go together have you inserting the strut underneath those supports-

just my two cents

I’ll dig the instructions out later for the intake. See if they mention mounting the nose gear.  There does appear to be some recessed cuts in the gear bay walls on either side. I’m maybe leaning towards gear up and plane on a stick as another option. I need to learn to paint pilot figures first. And find an appropriate Pilot with a JHMCS helmet. 

21 minutes ago, ade rowlands said:

I’ll dig the instructions out later for the intake. See if they mention mounting the nose gear.  There does appear to be some recessed cuts in the gear bay walls on either side. I’m maybe leaning towards gear up and plane on a stick as another option. I need to learn to paint pilot figures first. And find an appropriate Pilot with a JHMCS helmet. 

http://reedoak.com/#!/1-32-USAF-modern-F-16-pilot-sitting-1-with-JHMCS-helmet-hands-on-sticks-XKW/p/295068037/category=13281309

51487757744_dc99d974dc_b.jpg

There’s nothing in the instructions about fitting the kit gear. But there are these receptacles for the kit gear pegs on either side of the gear bay walls. So the kit gear will sit in rear of the large raised ribs on top of that small raised oblong, which should be easy to remove if the need arises. I’m not sure if this answers Pete’s concerns or not. I’ll bow to his knowledge of the F-16 seeing as he drove them. 

9 hours ago, ade rowlands said:

51487757744_dc99d974dc_b.jpg

There’s nothing in the instructions about fitting the kit gear. But there are these receptacles for the kit gear pegs on either side of the gear bay walls. So the kit gear will sit in rear of the large raised ribs on top of that small raised oblong, which should be easy to remove if the need arises. I’m not sure if this answers Pete’s concerns or not. I’ll bow to his knowledge of the F-16 seeing as he drove them. 

Ade just remove the side pegs on the kit gear. There is a small recess on the crossmember where the small tongue on the front of the gear will fit. This is the way to go even on the kit if the gear is to be fitted after painting. I think that is what breaker referred to.

Nick 

Edited by Cheetah11

17 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Seeing all this stuff really makes me want to do an F-16......such lovely stuff available now for an already beautiful kit

I have a real soft spot for the F-16!

I have an unbuilt Hasegawa 1/32 F-16C 'Ramstein' kit, and a very old Revell 1/32 kit which I inherited, with missing parts - this kit was assembled by someone else with CA (Superglue), disassembled by me, then rebuilt by me is a very basic fashion for use as a 'paint mule', then recently disassembled again by me, because I don't think that I can any longer afford to buy some 1/32 kits and all of the required AM stuff and don't know if I will ever be able to obtain another 1/32 F-16? 

I am still considering what to do with the Revell kit - I am tempted to upgrade it to a current F-16C Block 52 the 'hard way' with pure graft, but we'll see?

500_005.jpg

Derek