Another Hasegawa FW190. I FIXED IT!

Woody V

5 hours ago, nmayhew said:

... if you want something that isn't going to fly off if you sneeze within 50 feet of it,

Wow !  hooter alert  ;)

I like to use (whenever possible) Microscale Micro Liquitape. Tiny drops in a few places will hold it

even in a macro sneeze.  It dries 'almost' solid over time and is flexible. You can remove it with hot

water and reposition.

41lHb3CvOKL._AC_.jpg

23 minutes ago, MikeMaben said:

Wow !  hooter alert  ;)

I like to use (whenever possible) Microscale Micro Liquitape. Tiny drops in a few places will hold it

even in a macro sneeze.  It dries 'almost' solid over time and is flexible. You can remove it with hot

water and reposition.

41lHb3CvOKL._AC_.jpg

Never saw that before. Looks promising.
Thanks Mike.

• 2 weeks later...

Not much new to report other than the canopy polishing project is a fail. I finally had to pop the thing off because the amount of pressure required to polish broke the glue joints. To my surprise popping it off didn’t cause any serious issues, in fact all the spots where it came off will be covered with a new canopy which Damian from SOW was kind enough to send me. Thanks, Damian.

Here you can see that the Future did not polish the same as the plastic. Once I got it off and realized polishing wasn’t going to work (and the fact that there’s chunk out of it) I gave up and will use a new canopy.

172704525.jpg

While I was waiting for the new canopy, I did manage to get some small things done.

Got the cooling fan attached to the engine and now it’s centered. I’m just going to glue the prop assembly on.

172704526.jpg

Also got the navigation lights on. These aren’t kit parts but rather aftermarket bits from a Russian supplier called Elf.  To the best of my knowledge, the last remaining inventory in the US was snatched up when I mentioned them in my SBD build. There are a few places on the internet that carry the brand, so you might want to do google “Elf navigation lights” to see if you can find any. Most of the sites I visited had them listed as sold out. Good luck.

172704527.jpg

172704528.jpg

Right now I’m putting the landing gear together while I work up some enthusiasm to get back to the canopy and wrap this build up.

Thanks for tuning in.

Edited by Archer Fine Transfers

• Woody V changed the title to Another Hasegawa FW190 getting close now

Ahhh... so the canopy came off eh? Probably the best way to address the issue as you've discovered and you can take care of the other dust issue a well.  FWIW, as long as it is not cracked, the original canopy is still usable.  You would need to strip the paint and Future off prior to polishing.

5 hours ago, Thunnus said:

Ahhh... so the canopy came off eh?

I deserve that.... mr. smarty pants. (:

5 hours ago, Thunnus said:

Probably the best way to address the issue as you've discovered and you can take care of the other dust issue a well.  FWIW, as long as it is not cracked, the original canopy is still usable.  You would need to strip the paint and Future off prior to polishing.

Yea, there was one big bit right in the center of the windscreen so getting that out alone made it worth it. Amazing what I was belligerently willing to overlook just to move on. 

I would reuse the canopy but there's a chunk out of it, in the top right as seen in the picture, plus in the process of polishing you can see a depression. Also I'd like to fix the antenna mast by drilling straight down for the wire. From what little I know I believe the antenna passed through the top of the canopy toward the back and was on some sort of reel. If I get real ambitious I might even add the antenna wire inside the canopy too. 

But don't count on it. :rolleyes: 

• 3 weeks later...

Posting this out of boredom. I’m home recuperating from minor surgery and every time I walk through my modeling room this is what I see…. Everything ready to glue as soon as the pain meds wear off in a couple days.

In my current condition/stuper I’d probably glue my shoe to my face. 

172747087.jpg

55 minutes ago, Citadelgrad said:

A wise guy called Woody once told me to persevere.

This too, shall pass.  

Hang in there, Woody. 

Has happened to me too and he is so right.

Just take your time to recuperate and you will nail the finish of your exquisite looking 190!

Regards. Andy

Almost there. Not much to show, but progress is progress I guess. Main LG legs and tail wheel assembly as well as the cannons in place. I even managed to get the guns in without scratching the paint off.

TIP: If you ever get prescribed Hydrocodone/Acetaminophen 5-525 for pain don’t plan on doing anything for a long while. How this stuff ever became a recreational drug is beyond me…. No thanks. My life may not be perfect but I still want to be there while it happens.

The Revel FW tail wheel assembly is a huge improvement over the Hasegawa, Fred Flintstone version.

172755368.jpg

Next stop is the wheel and tire shop.

172755367.jpg

It’s pretty easy from here on out. The only thing I’m really not keen on is the antenna wire, but considering how far we’ve come, tis but a scratch.