Another Hasegawa FW190. I FIXED IT!

Woody V

• Woody V changed the title to Another Hasegawa FW190. Lipstick on a pig - but done.

After almost a year of struggling with this thing I finally put the finishing touches on and I’m calling this one done.

172800690.jpg

172800691.jpg

172800692.jpg

172800695.jpg

172800696.jpg

If you’ve been following this build you know this thing has fought me every step of the way, but I learned a lot…. More on that in a moment. I’m really happy with the paint job and the rivets, but other than that it’s nothing to write home about.

If you’re thinking it looks okay, look again.

The landing gear was the knock out gut punch. I glued the actuators in and let them sit overnight just to be extra super careful, figuring that the actuators would nail down the inboard/outboard angle of the struts and since the gear legs have nice, square, long pegs and the hole where they go is deep, and the fit was good, no apparent wobble.

What could possibly go wrong?

This is what could possibly go wrong!

The right strut fore/aft angle is out about a quarter inch farther than the left. It’s so bad, it’s obvious at a glance. But wait, there’s more! Because it’s angled too far forward the right wing is WAY lower than the left. It’s enough to make a grown man cry. 

172800693.jpg

Anyway, thanks for watching and all the kind comments. There’s a kit on my shelf that everyone raves about how perfect it is, so that’s my next project… as soon as I finish licking my wounds.

11 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Honestly, I've had issues with the landing gear of almost every Fw 190 I've ever built.

I built the Revel F8 and made a fixture to hold the LG in position while the glue dried. Everything was going along great until I checked it a while later only to discover the gear had popped out of the fixture. :angry2: I'm convinced that the FW's hate me.

10 hours ago, Rockie Yarwood said:

Despite the LG misalignment, your model looks awesome. Your paintwork is terrific. 

Thanks Rockie, I think I finally have this painting down.

8 hours ago, Jeff T said:

Looks great Woody despite all the headaches it gave you!

Very nice.

Jeff.

Thanks Jeff. I think I'll wait for Tamiya to release one and give it a go.

7 hours ago, Thunnus said:

Despite the issues, the finish and look of the model is great!  I really like how the rivets turned out!

Showcasing the rivets was the main reason for this build and I'm good with the way they turned out.

On 6/8/2022 at 4:51 AM, MikeMaben said:

I like to use (whenever possible) Microscale Micro Liquitape. Tiny drops in a few places will hold it

even in a macro sneeze.  It dries 'almost' solid over time and is flexible. You can remove it with hot

water and reposition.

41lHb3CvOKL._AC_.jpg

Thanks for this tip Mike! It worked great for attaching the new canopy. 

Highly recommended!

• Woody V changed the title to Another Hasegawa FW190. Done.
  • 10 months later...
  • Woody V changed the title to Another Hasegawa FW190. I FIXED IT!

Me and my DUMB LUCK!

This mess has been floating around the house from shelf to shelf, and then the tail wheel fell off so I decided to fix it and I noticed the the offending MLG strut was loose! So, after some jiggling it around I managed to get it out in one piece. It seems I didn't use enough epoxy. Got it cleaned up and she's not standing straight and plumb. 

Regardless, I'll post more glamor shots over on RFI.

original.jpg

Edited by Woody V
Fixed picture