Another Hasegawa FW190. I FIXED IT!

Woody V

No, I haven't fallen off the face of the earth, just got sidetracked with some other "stuff", so let's get on with this.

First let me introduce the one tool that I'd be lost without, this curved face riffler file that I've had for over 40 years. With it being curved the part that touches is very narrow and made short work of this IP and the side consoles in preparation for the Red Fox Studio goodies. The other thing it does with ease is getting down into curved surfaces like getting rid of ejector pin marks. I love this tool!

171933991.jpg

The Hasegawa rudder petals leave a lot to be desired so I put these fancy-schmancy ones in, scrounged from the left over Revell F8 bits. Not that you’ll ever see them, but who’s not guilty of that?

171933992.jpg

The Revell F8 seat looks more like the real one so I substituted that for the kit seat which is kinda strange. The edges of the actual seat is rounded, not squared off like the Revell so I rounded that off too. Since this going to be a factory fresh bird, I like the nice puffy cushion too. 

171933993.jpg

Coat of Mr. Color oversprayed with a wet coat of Leveling thinner really lays this stuff out smooth. Only problem is that you would think that those stylish Germans would come up with a more fashionable cockpit color other than this.

171938920.jpg

Let’s wrap this up for now. Tomorrow is Saturday and I promised myself that I’d get this pit done then. Good luck to me.

Thanks for watching.

• Woody V changed the title to Another Hasegawa FW190 A-8 finally started.
  • Woody V changed the title to Another Hasegawa FW190 A-8 cockpit finished.

Well, one Saturday turned into two Saturdays and a Friday but the cockpit tub is finished.

One of the things I found out is the correct anchor points for the shoulder harness. I’ve seen builds with the straps hanging over the back of the seat and attached to the “shelf” behind the seat, and stumbled on this drawing which is substantiated by actual photographs - which embarrassingly also show my decision to not use the kit seat was not a wise decision. Regardless, since this will be a closed canopy I’m sticking to my decision.

171968312.png

I used .015” lead wire and fashioned the anchor points. They’re going to be left like this since the seat covers them. More on this later, but first…..

171953728.jpg

…. let’s talk about the 3D printed cockpit parts from Quinta Studios and Red Fox. Both company’s offerings are superb but each has unique features.

The Quinta Studios are essentially decals and flexible unlike the Red Fox pieces which are rigid and require glue to attach. The printing is nothing short of amazing. Everything is in perfect registration, colors are bright and the resolution is extremely high. It should be noted that the Red Fox offering for the A8 only provides the IP and console upgrades which I used, while the Quinta Studios A5 sheet (they don’t offer an A8 as of this writing) includes many additional bits and I also used a few of them. Any difference in quality between the two is so minuscule it’s not worth mentioning although you may have to mix your cockpit color to match the printed parts which I did. You can’t go wrong whichever you use, both are brilliant.

Here's the IP with Red Fox goodies.

171968305.jpg

The one thing that the Quinta Studios flexible process can offer is seat belts and harness which is a mixed bag of good and not so good. For the most part they are one-piece although there is some minor sub-assembly required to better replicate layers. I chose to build them up with the major component still attached to the decal paper. I was careful to keep as much water off the base paper as possible, blotting up any errant drops. I would suggest you do the same.

Installation is straightforward but you will need a microdot of CA glue here and there, but the best part is that you won’t ever wind up crawling around on the floor with a flashlight and microscope looking for PE, however this convenience comes with a price. The hardware is not metallic silver, but rather a color which tries but fails to replicate metal. I guess you could choose to painstakingly pick out these details with metallic silver paint, but I chose not to. All things considered, I’m very happy with the results despite the fact that the seat belts seen a bit too long requiring some creative folding and gluing.

171968308.jpg

One of the parts included in the Quinta Studios sheet is what appears to be a document holder so I scrounged a FW190 parts list cover off the internet and scaled it down and printed it to fit the holder. Unfortunately most of it is hidden by a tie down strap.

171968307.jpg

Here you see the strap (also included in the Quinta sheet) holding the booklet in place and the shoulder harness in place waiting for the seat.

171968309.jpg

Seat with Quinta belts and one Red Fox console.

171970149.jpg

Seat, shoulder harness, side consoles and control column all in place so I’m calling the cockpit done.

171970153.jpg

I even had enough time left over to get the invisible engine started and some other bits painted.

171970154.jpg

Thanks for watching and to all the FW190 authorities out there gasping in horror, my apologies. ;)

Edited by Archer Fine Transfers

13 hours ago, Wingy said:

Seat belts came out great.

Yea, super easy - almost too easy.

13 hours ago, Uncarina said:

Just got caught up Woody, and you are off to a stellar start!

Cheers,  Tom

Thanks Tom

14 hours ago, Citadelgrad said:

The detail is pretty incredible. 

Definitely! A huge improvement over anything else for cockpits. A real game changer.

23 hours ago, dodgem37 said:

Great presentation.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thanks, Mark

15 hours ago, Brett M said:

Nice work, Woody. Those AM bits certainly look sharp!

Thanks Brett, Yea, the stuff coming out of Quinta and Red Fox is a game changer. It's just too easy and it's almost like cheating. It's all positives and no negatives. Hope you're doing well!

Woody

• 2 weeks later...

Not much to show as of now. Lots of time spent cleaning up parts and whatnot but I did decide that the Hasegawa tail wheel wasn’t going to do, mainly because the wheel/tire is molded in and some nasty ejector pin marks in prominent places that would be very difficult to fix. So I dug through the scrounge box and found the tail wheel parts from the Revell F8 for a minor upgrade.

Here’s a comparison between the Hasegawa 2-part (left) and the Revell 6-part tail wheel (right). Big win for Revell here.

172012580.jpg

So I cut the the Revell stuff up so it would fit the Hasegawa mounting points. You can see the ejector pin marks on the Hasegawa parts and how they would be clearly visible and very touchy to clean up all pretty and stuff.

172012581.jpg

And this how it turned out. Not only a big improvement it’ll be, a lot easier to paint and it fits!

172012582.jpg

That’s all for now. There’s a lot of  cleaned up and painted bits on the bench ready to assemble so the next installment should show some substantial progress.

Thanks for watching.

Edited by Archer Fine Transfers

• 1 month later...

Lots of modeling downtime over the past several weeks. The weather cooled off so I organized piles of stuff in the house, cleaned the garage and finally got the bare bones of the website up and application in for our non-profit cat rescue. So it’s been a bit crazy around the house.

On top of all that, work hasn’t been much fun either. Chrissy came down with Covid (pre-existing condition prevented vaccination) just as big dealer orders came in, so I've been doing everything she does (which is a lot more than me) plus my own work up there. So, yea it’s been a bit crazy. BTW, she's getting a raise when she gets back. ;)

Regardless, I decided to relax on my first “free” day and blow the dust of the FW. Got the fuselage buttoned up and the engine put together. Started on the cowling/engine assembly but I ran out of gas.

172105359.jpg

Any progress is better than none, and a lot more fun than cleaning a garage.