IPMS 2021 National Convention - Las Vegas Photos

Juggernut

All are 1/35 or larger.  Lots of entries this year; so much so that some of the aircraft on bases like the Ho229, SBD, and the Bf110 had to be displayed without their bases because they took up too much room on the contest tables.

Slight update:  I was not able to get ALL the 1/32 aircraft entries in photos.  They were coming in right up to the last minute but I got most and of those late entrants, none really stood head and shoulders above any of the others that I has already taken photos of (using my limited photographic abilities...thank God for "auto" mode).

SxRx6zk.jpg

z5sdQsz.jpg

mNZISOQ.jpg

SdsSQgN.jpg

GVmw58a.jpg

Gbdzrg6.jpg

NHjCUg7.jpg

J4qEw6G.jpg

v2ebBiK.jpg

N75i7sU.jpg

y2Vatlb.jpg

GYxhOQ2.jpg

PklykiU.jpg

hl6PHew.jpg

U43CWJI.jpg

yI6N0QH.jpg

uvenHi8.jpg

6x5w11y.jpg

Edited by Juggernut

More.....

PXxi6mt.jpg

tFa8366.jpg

tFIRaZS.jpg

rSjpKow.jpg

zwvilQ8.jpg

ghz2SLJ.jpg

EXOU4Si.jpg

BML1x53.jpg

z27918B.jpg

2XFha75.jpg

h6i7tW5.jpg

TCovC3q.jpg

qjUMNKg.jpg

kKQU47r.jpg

SWw4XSa.jpg

7tA3bm7.jpg

d1Sd5Ff.jpg

NBgLABW.jpg

nOEFhYZ.jpg

XCL71YV.jpg

gQr6Waf.jpg

SDGoHT0.jpg

I've got a bunch more if Imgur will let me upload them....seems it doesn't like to upload a lot of images, even as few as three or four at a time.  More on the way though so check back.

Edited by Juggernut

Thank you very much for posting!  A few of my quick thoughts:

• Although most of these models are some of the best in North America, many of the builds here at LSP could compete very well with most of them
  • Like Anthony mentioned, that F-4S paint job is awesome and it really grabs me.  I bet the rest of the model is fantastic too, but it's hard to tell from a distance
  • I'm really glad I'm not a judge!  With the quality of modeling so high, picking one or two over the others would be very, very difficult 

Cheers,

Chuck

7 hours ago, chuck540z3 said:

Thank you very much for posting!  A few of my quick thoughts:

• Although most of these models are some of the best in North America, many of the builds here at LSP could compete very well with most of them
  • Like Anthony mentioned, that F-4S paint job is awesome and it really grabs me.  I bet the rest of the model is fantastic too, but it's hard to tell from a distance
  • I'm really glad I'm not a judge!  With the quality of modeling so high, picking one or two over the others would be very, very difficult 

Cheers,

Chuck

Without a doubt Chuck, without any doubt.  There are modelers here that could turn out models that would do extremely well, yours being at least one I can think of right off the top of my head. 

The judges had their hands full in almost every category.  Taking close up photos was a daunting task with the proximity of other models to any given subject; one wrong move and crunch.  I tried to use the lens to get as close as I could while keeping the entire subject in focus and in frame.  I was able to shoot some detail shots of subjects that were near the edges of the tables.

EDIT: With the way IPMS runs it's contest awards (1st, 2nd, 3rd in a given category) it makes it extremely tough to pick a clear winner in some categories, particularly in aircraft and armor.  The judges are forced to nitpik to separate a first place from a second place from a third place.  That can (and does in some instances) lead to a case of hard feelings (although I did not witness any at this event).

In our annual contest (Penncon - September 11, 2021) we use the open judging system that AMPS uses whereby a model is judged against a certain standard.  There are three standards, Bronze, Silver, and Gold.  If the model is judged to meet a certain standard it gets an award; if not, it does not  get an award.  There are many more awards given out than in a normal IPMS contest but there are no "participation" awards.  If your model doesn't meet the minimum standard (Bronze), it doesn't get an award.

Edited by Juggernut