New 1:32 F-4 Phantom Family Coming in 2022

spruebrothers

On 8/26/2021 at 1:50 AM, O.W said:

Why are there so few conversion sets for the phantom when ebay is loaded with model kits?

I'd really love a set for the F-4B, S or G version.

21 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Did GT Resin stop making them?  I thought they made all three.

As of 1500 Zulu today, Sprue Brothers is showing all 3 sets in stock as well as several cockpit sets and various Phantom Extras. 

• 4 months later...

No news isn't always good news. There's a feeling that the Sprue Bro's dreams are going down the same tubes as the seemingly abandoned Hong Kong Models Spey Phantom, and may never get beyond the ethereal design stage.

The Revell RF-4C rebox with resin side orders turned out to be too expensive a dish for me, and I wonder if the Academy rebox of the Revell F-4E with some new bits at half the price hasn't dampened Sprue Bro's enthusiasm more than just a little bit. 

Time will tell. 

The Tamiya Phantoms are still pretty desirable over a quarter of a century later. Hopefully Alistair is going to expand his Aerocraft range, particularly as he's so skilled at designing detail parts and casting clear resin. There is hope!

Tony 

19 minutes ago, Dave Roof said:

When the Phantom Phreaks (Revell) RF-4C arrived at Spruebrothers, there were 850 kits in stock.

As of 5 minutes ago, there are 751 kits in stock. 

Do you have special access to their inventory or is this information that anyone can see?  I couldn't see it but may not be looking in the right place.

With respect to the information in your post and based on the pedigree and price of the kit, I think most of us guessed it would not be a good seller.  Kind of like putting lipstick on a pig.

Edited by Juggernut
punctuation error correction.

Sad but not surprised. A new Phantom family with today's standars is definitely needed.

However, making wishlists is quite appealing but many people unfortunately have no real idea on how much a modern steel mould set costs. If you are manufacturer, you have to sell dozens and dozens of thousands of a kit over a long period of time to start making profit from a kit. The fact that Tamiya 1/32 kits can be found on the shelves still after a few decades is not only due to their design success but because it has to be that way for the company to make profit. Is this a preferred business plan in today's world?

Well... I guess why Tamiya and Trumpeter do not seem to be interested in 1/32 kits nowadays says it all.

Considering less than half of any price tag going to the manufacturer I do not see it changing in the near future... Unless some very creative people somehow manage to drop the tooling cost to at least one third of what it takes now. I don't mean to crash daydreams but that is the case.

32 minutes ago, Juggernut said:

Do you have special access to their inventory or is this information that anyone can see?  I couldn't see it but may not be looking in the right place.

With respect to the information in your post and based on the pedigree and price of the kit, I think most of us guessed it would not be a good seller.  Kind of like putting lipstick on a pig.

If you put a HUGE number of kits in your basket, it will tell you how many are in stock/how many are available rn.

36 minutes ago, Juggernut said:

You have to know the ultra-classified G-14 password and have to be on a need to know basis.....

Nah, like previously mentioned, just add an item to your cart multiple times (or start with a really high number) and it will stop at whatever quantity is on hand. I checked the RF-4 more out of curiosity. 

If you put a HUGE number of kits in your basket, it will tell you how many are in stock/how many are available rn.

just add an item to your cart multiple times (or start with a really high number) and it will stop at whatever quantity is on hand.

I'm happy when my knowledge base is expanded so thanks for that.  I never would've thought to do that....  sigh, I'm just not an "out-of-the-box" thinker....  I take the parts out of the box but don't think about it when I'm doing it!  :rofl:

Edited by Juggernut