1:32 F-16XL

Dandiego

1 hour ago, Pascal said:

I read somewhere that the single seat F-16XL had the lightweight gear when it was produced, but was fitted with the heavyweight gear later on. By the time it was used by NASA, it definitely had the heavyweight gear (not sure about the bulged doors).

The modifications you did look great, I hope to do the same thing to my Revell kit someday. Could you give me the dimensions of your wings ? From strake to trailing edge, and from fuselage / wing root to wingtip.

Sincerely

Pascal

Thanks for the gear info.

Well the length is 12 inches,  strake to aft end of flap. Width is 5 3/8 inches, fuselage to outside edge of launch rail.

Dan

57 minutes ago, iaf-man said:

yes,that's interesting-can you show kit's wings vs the correct ones?

what drawing did you use?

Kits wing on top of XL wing.

2paYTGv.jpg

Can't show you the original Kangman wings as I threw them away.

Here is the drawing that I used. It is just a generic 3 view off of the internet.

pSTbJPU.jpg

And blown up to 1:32.

OcYeVWA.jpg

Bombs with 3d printed pylons.

lnE7xty.jpg

And main wheels. I have added a spacer to give a thicker wheel, not sure if this correct.

2kr8ZkW.jpg

Dan

15 minutes ago, eoyguy said:

There was no way I was doing all the cutting, so mine is going to be a "What if" Israeli bird with small wings and fuselage. I did manage to mate up the Tamiya intake parts to it, they actually fit with just a little adjustment. Otherwise, F-16"I" it is...

If you are going to not extend the fuselage the Kangman kit is the way to go.

Dan

Ok moving on to preliminary paint.

I have sprayed the entire airframe flat white. This is from a rattle can as I just can't get flat white to look this good from my airbrush.

The grey patches are just pieces of paper laid on top. I am considering a white/grey camo similar to what an F-15 would have. Not sure yet but....I like it. 

However I could also reverse the colors,  still pondering.

zHrBNsV.jpg

Thanks, Dan

Edited by Dandiego

Pre-shading panel lines is done. I have used a water based marker, I have found that the marker will sink into the flat paint and will not soak thru the top coat. It is easy and fast. I have also added the rear canopy glass, added putty and masked it off.

EFN5wXs.jpg

You can see that I have added the 3d printed bomb pylons.

zNz9MdA.jpg

And the painted control surfaces. I have added static dischargers. I cut a slot with my razor saw, jammed the wire in and secured it with CA.

XUJoccR.jpg

I will be adding some more pre-shading with black and grey before I begin to lay down the camo colors.

Dan

Hi ! Very clever way of adding the static dischargers.

I think I would have tryed to drill them, after having broken a lot of bits inside, I would have figured they are not aligned either. 
Your way is more destructive, but easier and more precise in the end.

Btw, I'm in aww seing what you have done so far. Really amazing topic.

cheers.
Mathieu

Edited by MDuv