1/32 Lancaster Build on FB

Robthepom

3 hours ago, gwana said:

If the current holder of the moulds has minimal investment in R&D (let's speculate WNW had paid for a majority of mould-making costs before they went bust), then it only seems like good business that *someone* tries to get a return on all of this work. What's the point of acquiring the moulds otherwise? Or (speculation) let's say they were partnering with Meng or another Chinese venture to do the actual sprue pops. Meng, et al retain ownership of the moulds because WNW either sold them off or failed to pay them off. Now what? Melt them down? Put them in a warehouse like Raiders of the Lost Ark? Or invest just a little more in instructions, boxing, and decals and put in on shelves. It only makes sense to produce this model if it was 98% complete anyway.

to me it looked 98% finished...we shall see

On 8/19/2021 at 6:38 PM, LSP_Kevin said:

I'm wondering if that's [HP O/100] what we're seeing in those thumbnails on the Kotare website.

Kev

Not that it's germane to the Lanc, but you've got pondering the likelihood of a Vimy.

On 8/22/2021 at 6:58 AM, Ossington 1 said:

This metal is somewhere, (including the Lanc) and in legal limbo, awaiting bankruptcy auditors etc. 

WnW did not go into bankruptcy. They just effectively stopped trading. Since the company’s assets and debts were held by one person, Sir PJ, he’s not legally forced to do anything as long as all his external suppliers were paid up or satisfied in some other manner (cf. Fokker Dr.I, Meng).

• 1 month later...
On 8/22/2021 at 5:00 PM, Troy Molitor said:

I can only hope this comes to light.   Both kits look to be epic.   .  

On 8/22/2021 at 9:56 PM, Radub said:

All commercial contracts have a clause that states "all goods remain the property of the supplier until paid in full". If you have a house you bought with a bank loan, see what happens if you stop paying your loan repayments. ;)

The CAD artwork has a value, a few tens of thousands of dollars, but cutting the steel molds for such a giant monster of a model costs hundreds of thousands of dollars, many times more than the value of the CAD artwork. If the final payment is not issued, the mold manufacturer continues to own the work that they spent time, effort and resources to produce. The mold manufacturer is entitled to seek ways to cover the loss. Even if WNW were to bring them to court, they may win nothing and find themselves slapped with a court order to cover the losses incurred by the mold manufacturer, plus interest and penalties. 

Radu 

This is a good point 

On 8/23/2021 at 2:51 AM, gwana said:

If the current holder of the moulds has minimal investment in R&D (let's speculate WNW had paid for a majority of mould-making costs before they went bust), then it only seems like good business that *someone* tries to get a return on all of this work. What's the point of acquiring the moulds otherwise? Or (speculation) let's say they were partnering with Meng or another Chinese venture to do the actual sprue pops. Meng, et al retain ownership of the moulds because WNW either sold them off or failed to pay them off. Now what? Melt them down? Put them in a warehouse like Raiders of the Lost Ark? Or invest just a little more in instructions, boxing, and decals and put in on shelves. It only makes sense to produce this model if it was 98% complete anyway.

True. And what can PJ do about it anyway? I can't imagine him willingly giving his baby over. 

On 8/25/2021 at 9:59 AM, VMA131Marine said:

WnW did not go into bankruptcy. They just effectively stopped trading. Since the company’s assets and debts were held by one person, Sir PJ, he’s not legally forced to do anything as long as all his external suppliers were paid up or satisfied in some other manner (cf. Fokker Dr.I, Meng).

I'm not sure how it works but PJ didn't go bankrupt. And why would he cut loose something that had so much R & D gone into it. And the investment outlay?

7 hours ago, Pup7309 said:

I'm not sure how it works but PJ didn't go bankrupt. And why would he cut loose something that had so much R & D gone into it. And the investment outlay?

One could ask the same about having two full size Lancaster replicas built for a movie, then not making the movie. He seems to be a pretty whimsical fella.

6 hours ago, MARU5137 said:

Onto other more ( MUCH MORE) lucrative  ventures...Films...?

WETA, the special effects company he founded, is an international powerhouse now, with a diverse portfolio. Lots and lots and lots of money coming in.

Oh, and they made an artificial teat to nurse a lost baby orca.

Adam

13 hours ago, Pup7309 said:

12 hours ago, MARU5137 said:

Onto other more ( MUCH MORE) lucrative  ventures...Films...?

If what Jennings reported is true about Border Model has a chunk of WNW molds, then there probably was a lot of negotiations going on. PJ may not have been on a good foundation if Border already had several molds in their possession already. Still, I doubt Border got them for free.

It seems like he (Peter Jackson) acted in haste to repent at leisure. Or not. If the overseas company had the assets, wanted to re coupe costs, and could ignore IP then I'd say they had him over a barrel. Oh well plenty of movies and other projects- he remastered the LOTR and Hobbit as well as doing a Doco about the Beatles during Covid closures. WNW - it was good for what it was, we can thank him for that.

Edited by Pup7309