Kotare Models - a New Venture from Former Wingnut Wings Staff

LSP_Kevin

20 hours ago, esarmstrong said:

This model doesn't allow for an engine, a feature of all WNW offerings, both released and planned before closing.

I do not think WnW quality depends on whether the kit includes an engine I do not care about, instead of accuracy, fit, and other variables.

YMMV.

One of the motives behind WNW releasing engine sprues was the modellers changing engines and bits around to create even more variations. In that spirit, I'd applaud seperate engine sprues, and even stands.

I'd like to see a Ki-43-1 Oscar  added to the end of my catch - all wish list.

When WNW went down in flames I was heart broken. No, really; in my wayward and heartless youth I had walked away from a number of "les grandes amours" with aplomb and a mere shrugging of one's shoulders. After all, love is too strong an emotion to take seriously; especially with a woman.  

But now we have Kotare which may, hopefully, take WNW's place and perhaps we can see more wonderous 1/32 WW1 aeroplane kits appear on the market.

Just as a humble suggestion I would love to see some of the Hansa Brandenberg 1/32 aeroplanes appear on the market. Especially those with the X bracing for the wings. 

Since I have strong feelings for flying boats perhaps one of the Austrian Lohner single seat flying boats would be in order or even the Hansa Brandenberg W20 landplane.

Yes, I know I can scratch build whatever I want but time is a critical factor here. I am in my early '80's and I do not know how much time is left to me.

I am currently immersed in the Austrian Aeroplanes of War 1. It's like I never even knew that there was an Austro-Hungarian empire involved in the war. How could I? Being a red blooded American boy how would I know of such things? The USA fought on the western front. We fought only the Germans and were allies with the English and the French. Just read the old magazines, see the old movies (Douglas Fairbanks never shot at an Austrian or Hungarian).  An entire chunk of history is missing. So how would I know of such things? I discovered the wartime activities in the Eastern areas, like the Adriatic Sea, only because I stated working on my second novel which begins with the meeting of my English hero (he will become a Lord when his father kicks the bucket) who meets a wild Austrian Countess at a Paris Air Show in 1908. My research is forcing me to explore the war in the east. What fun! Right now I am reading the two volume study of Gottfried von Banfield who was an Austrian ace flying the Lohner float plane fighters over the Adriatic. I am going to have my heroine flying missions along with her male counterparts. This book will have illustrations. 

There seems to be a plethora of new books on the WW1 aeroplanes. They are a bit expensive but they illustrate the planes and have detailed plans of the aircraft so I can make models after scaling them up to 1/32 scale. Amazon is offering many of these 8 1/2" x 11" books on their website. Maybe I can make a Radio Controlled flying model when I find it necessary to escape from all this reading. 

My retirement years are turning out to be quite exciting. Hubba hubba.

I was trying to explain this to Ali at Aerocraft a while back, but regarding Phantoms and producing a one piece canopy including windscreen.

Many of us will have multiple Spitfires (or Phantoms).

Sure, the hoi-poloi will have just one, but many, MANY of us have multiples we want to build because we like the type.

I may build ONE Tamiya Spitfire with an exposed engine, but not the other three. One is enough.

Likewise the Tamiya Phantoms. I'll do ONE with a super detailed Quinta cockpit but that's it.

The other four will be closed cockpits.

It'd be nice if someone catered to our needs.

2 hours ago, ssculptor said:

I discovered the wartime activities in the Eastern areas, like the Adriatic Sea, only because I stated working on my second novel...

Well hopefully your novel will be an international best seller, and later a blockbuster movie.  The profits can be used to launch a company devoted to the production of aircraft in 1/32 scale... 

6 hours ago, esarmstrong said:

If Kotare sees this as being worth their while, it will happen.  Hope it does happen.

WNW sensibly produced their engines on separate sprues as the same engine could be found on multiple aeroplanes. They also cleverly included parts on the Gnome sprue to cover the near identical Oberursel. It was these sprues that could be bought by modellers (like me)

I can't see Kotare releasing engine sprues that they didn't include in a kit - the market would be far too small

Richard

Personally i hope they don't include engines and also don't do WWI kits. I understand why some people would want all that but it's not my bag. And also i cannot see all that being appealing to 'novice builders' like they said in their statement. Price will be a big issue. If it's going to be Tamiya prices. Then i'm moving along the bus. It's not an expense i can stretch to.

The last time a new tool 1/32 mk1 Spitfire was released I was a baby, 0 years old. Now I’m 54 years old and as happy as a toddler with a new nipple to feed from!

I’ll be buying one, engine or not, Tamiya price or not, I just need to have one!