Kotare Models - a New Venture from Former Wingnut Wings Staff

LSP_Kevin

5 hours ago, Bradleygolding said:

WnW did a reasonable coverage, but in my opinion missed out on four obvious good sellers, Avro 504, BE2, Jenny, and Standard J1. All of the trainers had significant inter war lives as well.

I don't think Kotare will be doing WWI , to many wires. Wires scare people. Even experienced people.

18 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

I'd say that's a fair summary of what they're aiming for. Though to be honest, I feel that Hasegawa kits are overpriced for what you get in the box these days.

Kev

I would agree, though some of that might be my frustration that they never gave me a Ki-100.

I would also suggest that I'd be very surprised if they go the WW1 route.  I think that there was less of a pent up demand than they were just such good kits that people bought them for the sake of building them.  Especially when you got a superb easy to display model with outstanding instructions for $69 and free shipping.  That's why i started buying them even though I had very little interest in WW1 planes as far as building any went.  Have them do a P-51B/C, BF-109E, Ki-43, (I'd say A6M but Tamiya covered that too well) etc and they would be printing money.  They already had a company close out from under them because of tackling esoteric subjects at the expense of demanded subjects (supposedly at least) and there are so many WW2 fighters alone that have good kits but nothing great.  A WNW level kit of almost any popular subject not kitted by Tamiya in the past 10 years would be the best example of any of them on the market.

I found his discussion interesting, apparently there will be no engine detail first go around, I thought that would be a given considering the they developed expertise from working on the Lancaster.  However he also made clear that the exterior shape would get exquisite attention to detail so I am expecting the outside, wheel bays and cockpit to be really special.  I think that the smart money as they or the aftermarket can offer engines later.  I feel a common mistake we have seen from new manufacturers is they try to do the opus kit out of the gate and then give themselves too many opportunities to make significant errors.  

I Have not liked Hasegawa in many cases because their 1/32 kits can be too much like a bigger 1/48 kit.  I don:t think we are going to see that with Kotare.  It will also give them lots of room to do a ME-109E as Dragon did an opus version with engine et all.  Eduard tried to do an opus version, here we could see just the basics perfect shape, exterior wheel wells, cockpit.  I am okay with that.  Unless you are going to do the Tamiya way with magnets and things like that I am not in love with engine detail.  It is hard to do what Tamiya does or other companies would be copying them.  

Give us great fit, great detail, great accuracy, leave out things that don:t have to be there and I think you have a real winner.  They could also make a great market here with the P-51b again leave out the engine.  I wish these guys the greatest success.  I think they have the right attitude of all out effort where it matters and not try to do everything for everyone.  

3 hours ago, cbk57 said:

Give us great fit, great detail, great accuracy, leave out things that don:t have to be there and I think you have a real winner.  They could also make a great market here with the P-51b again leave out the engine.  I wish these guys the greatest success.  I think they have the right attitude of all out effort where it matters and not try to do everything for everyone.  

Second that !