Kotare Models - a New Venture from Former Wingnut Wings Staff

LSP_Kevin

3 hours ago, Gary Needham said:

You are never going to please everyone and I personally prefer the 'clean' and simplistic lines of the aircraft itself like in the style of the Hasegawa 1/32 range of WW2 single seat aircraft. I don't like to model my aircraft with panels and engine cowls off etc. and looking at those online and at shows etc, that seems to be the majority of us. The problem with all the 'bells and whistles' like full engines and gun bays etc. is that it pushes the overall cost of the model up for (everyone) and I recall when I built the Tamiya Spitfire IX in 1/32, I left out all the engine and plumbing parts other than what was necessary to attach the spinner and thinking "how much would this kit have cost if all the parts not used along with the little magnets etc. had not been included?"

It's probably not economically (or moulding?) viable, but like with Zoukie Mura's 1/32 stuff, imagine if you could buy the base kit and just with those parts which add structural integrity and support and then another boxing for those who want everything 'open' or actually like painting and installing parts that will never be seen again.

Ultimately, the manufacturer has to make the final call and then we then have to decide whether to buy it or not. Either way, I am sure that Kotare Models Spitfire will be a superb package.

Gary

♤ what he says ♤  

Personally, I just want a propeller that rotates. I'd sacrifice all the cowling panels and magnets for a (hidden) smooth metal bearing for the prop. Loverly. 

Tony 

1 hour ago, Kagemusha said:

From their website:

Kotare's passion is to provide accurate and highly detailed scale model kitsets that are enjoyable to build for both experienced and novice modellers alike. We hope that by designing these models to be as trouble-free to build as possible we will attract even more people the relaxing and rewarding hobby of building scale models.

Clear as mud.  It's a verbal Rorschach ink blot test.  Everyone will read that and read what ever they want to into it.  Some see the words "highly detailed" and think one thing and others see the words like "trouble-free to build" and think that means something else.  No real help on the question at hand.  I guess we should ask one of the principals or just keep our eyes peeled for new CAD images.

So this is a new Spit I - first overhaul in decades. Are there any other kits like this that would be cash cows for startup? That is non-esoteric gaps in the market they would have been identified by Kotare and crying out for a re-visit in 1/32? (Assuming all 1/48 is covered) 

A few, including early Mustang has been mentioned. 

Also I imagine Murphys law applies. Just because Kotare are going to release something dosen't mean someone else will as well. 

Also it will be interesting if there is also a Mediterranean and Pacific focus after this release. And will they do WW1 as well? Still a few gaps to fill from Wingnuts closure ‘due to Covid 19’?

:popcorn:

To detail engine or not to engine. As long as the engine dosen't affect getting cowl on don’t mind. But if I had option of cheaper kit without internal Uber detailing yea please. ( with a few exceptions ) And if it didn't have an engine I wouldn't care if the exterior and pit were nice. (think Tamiya without all the open panels) I’d love to see them go nuts with surface detail, maybe even some subtle oil canning? If I want a complex build there’s plenty in the stash to make my hair turn white and fall out...and look like Yoda after 300 years

Relaxing build - sounds good to me! Though the poor wallet groans, cheers NZ. Can't wait for your kitsets to come out bros:beer4:

Edited by Pup7309

19 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

I would wholeheartedly have to disagree with that.

Out of all the LSPs I've ever made since my 2nd modeling renaissance in 2007 I've not once made one with an exposed engine.

Honestly open panels like engine panels not only are unwanted, but IMHO down right spoil the lines of the aircraft. 

To me they are much harder to fit when separate, and the extra money spent on providing a detailing engine (s)could better spent in cockpit/exterior details or upgraded exterior parts.

For me the WNW engines were nice but seeing WW1 a/c displayed with fully exposed engines looks a bit weird. JMO. Each to their own some people like this. It's educational but not aesthetic for me. Just sayin’ :piliot:

16 hours ago, Kagemusha said:

From their website:

Kotare's passion is to provide accurate and highly detailed scale model kitsets that are enjoyable to build for both experienced and novice modellers alike. We hope that by designing these models to be as trouble-free to build as possible we will attract even more people the relaxing and rewarding hobby of building scale models.

"accurate and highly detailed scale model kitsets that are enjoyable to build for both experienced and novice modellers alike."

Highly detailed doesn't mean it 'has' to have an engine.

Cost is important if you want to attract novice modeler's.

I've heard many non-novice modelers say they were scared

off from a kit because of it's cost.  

" relaxing and rewarding hobby "

Remember when you built models as a kid ?