Kotare Models - a New Venture from Former Wingnut Wings Staff

LSP_Kevin

I think this is great news.  I'm always a sucker for anything Battle of Britain related and I really hope they can tackle a Mk I Hurricane at some point.  

The level of detail that can be designed and implemented in a model kit these days is truly where I find the joy of modeling.  It's not just about building a model for me, but more of an appreciation for the aesthetics and history of a beautiful airplane flown by amazing men, sometimes 3-4 times a day, to protect their country, many of them dying along the way.  In a way, modeling for me is a way to relive some of that history and I'm glad to see the Kotare folks putting out their rendition of a very beloved airplane. 

Given the research that WNW put in to their kits and decal schemes and my liking of all things Spitfire I know I’ll be getting one and I am very very glad now I didn’t pull the trigger on the Revell kit with all the Barracuda Resin fixes. That’s me off to empty that particular Hannants shopping basket. Now what to spend my months Pocket money on this month. Hmmm. 

2 hours ago, John1 said:

The market demands it Betty! 

If you are talking "B" then yes I wholeheartedly agree!

However, with the preeminent D out there (Tamiya) and the cost effective well done option (Revell) out there as well there is all of 0 need for a new D, market or otherwise.

In the middle of all the celebration, I'm wondering about this choice

On the one hand, anything Spitfire-shaped sells - as long as it isn't too expensive

On the other, there cannot be an aeroplane that has had more books written about it, more TV programmes, more discussions, more 'experts' online. If this comes out at 'WNW' prices and it isn't absolutely spot on accurate, it's going to be a big challenge for Kotare. I'm already imagining the discussions on the highly subjective 'gull-wing' shape and nose profiles

Brave choice guys

Richard

5 minutes ago, RLWP said:

In the middle of all the celebration, I'm wondering about this choice

On the one hand, anything Spitfire-shaped sells - as long as it isn't too expensive

On the other, there cannot be an aeroplane that has had more books written about it, more TV programmes, more discussions, more 'experts' online. If this comes out at 'WNW' prices and it isn't absolutely spot on accurate, it's going to be a big challenge for Kotare. I'm already imagining the discussions on the highly subjective 'gull-wing' shape and nose profiles

Brave choice guys

Richard

I trust Kotare to know this as well.  Trumpeter or Hobby Boss not so much.  Kotare staff has the experience to know where the sacred cows are in the modeling world and know what a rivet counter is.  I believe they need a high certainty of a best seller on their first release and this is a prime candidate.  I would feel more confident in this and a or a hurricane BOB era than most other subjects they could do other than a P-51B.  

I could not resist this one if I tried, having built the ancient Revell 1970's kit, the hybrid Revell/Hasegawa effort and the more recent Revell version a WNW quality Spifire would beat them hands down.

And if the range of versions grows I can see my wallet taking a bashing.

Cheers

Dennis

I seem to recall that in 2018, the 100 year anniversary of the end of WWI, WNW offered a couple of special releases, but I don't recall what they were. Perhaps Kotare are just following a similar theme here, and I applaud them for that. Pretty much anything that gets them off to a solid start, is perfectly OK with me, as there will undoubtedly follow state of the art kits that I'll be absolutely mesmerized by.

I really like the way Kotare have the box art in mind.  I have researched the name on the box and it appears to be an artist named Darryl Fagg?  Can't be sure reading the name.  I can't seem to pull up any more information than this bit.  Love the box cover on this initial release.  Way to go Kotare.