Kotare Models - a New Venture from Former Wingnut Wings Staff

LSP_Kevin

4 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

So what’s the difference between this and the Mk. IIa kitted by Revell?  I know there are a few issues with Revell kit, but there are Barracudacast corrections available.

You’re looking at $50+ for all the Barracuda upgrades to accurise the Revell Mk.II, and even then there will be some shape errors. Hopefully this new kit will be accurate out of the box and won’t need a stack of upgrades costing more than the base model.

2 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

A 1/32 Emil is more likely … just sayin’

I wouldn't be too sure about that.  Cyber Hobby, and Eduard have their offerings out there, plus, if memory serves me, didn't the Hawker Hurricane and the Spitfire each share the same power plant?  These guys have already been down the RR Merlin path at WNW.

Edited by esarmstrong

"Kotare's passion is to provide accurate and highly detailed scale model kitsets that are enjoyable to build for both experienced and novice modellers alike. We hope that by designing these models to be as trouble-free to build as possible we will attract even more people the relaxing and rewarding hobby of building scale models."

I'm thinking (hoping) they won't have engines, open gun bays or too many fiddly parts.

If their goal is to expand the market, they'll likely follow the Hasegawa, SH type of kit(sets)

and also keep their prices reasonable. Definitely an interesting new avenue to follow.  :clap2::popcorn:

I was struck by the last para in the description on their website:" Basically the most notable variants were the 1030hp Mk.Ia, 1470hp Mk.Vb, 1720hp Mk.IXc, 2035hp Mk.XIVe, the unarmed photo-reconnaissance Mk.XI and the navalised Seafire Mk.III."  Am I reading too much into this in wondering if this is indicative of future plans?  A decent Mk XIV and PRXI would be absolute Spitfire Heaven for me at least.

And some more speculation: Given: (1) that the title is "...Mk Ia(late)"; (2) Wingnut Wings' propensity for releasing more than one version of an aeroplane type; I forecast a Mk Ia (early) following on at some stage, complete with black/white/silver (pick one of several variations) undersides and pre-war markings.

I know some folks are saying "Oh groan, another Spitfire", but apart from benefiting those of us who consider you can never have too many Spits, it is almost certainly bound to sell, and thereby set Kotare on a sound financial footing so they can take a risk on some more esoteric subjects.

Edited by MikeC

26 minutes ago, MikeC said:

and the navalised Seafire Mk.III

I wish them luck as we need more 1/32 kits being produced and importantly sold. It's likely to be the only way that we start to see manufacturers provide more varied aircraft of previously unreleased 1/32 aircraft. I'm not the slightest bit interested in yet another spit however because of what I just said I will buy one in the hope that they do then produce previously unreleased kits (massive thumbs up from me for a Seafire !!!).  I really hope they do keep it simple - I know a lot of you crave for highly detailed and full accurate kits but there are also those of us who like simple to build and easy engineered kits with nothing to open and only enough detail to be seen at a decent price point. I'm no consumer expert however I suspect that this will more likely attract new builders. Whatever your modelling preferences, we should all be thankful that there's a new manufacturer in town !

1 minute ago, npb748r said:

I know a lot of you crave for highly detailed and full accurate kits but there are also those of us who like simple to build and easy engineered kits with nothing to open and only enough detail to be seen at a decent price point

Those really shouldn't be exclusive. Accuracy suggests good research, simple to build is good kit design. 

One of the features of the kits that these people worked on at WNW is that they were well detailed, accurate AND easy to build

Decent price I suspect will be your sticking point.

Richard