Kotare Models - a New Venture from Former Wingnut Wings Staff

LSP_Kevin

2 hours ago, Archimedes said:

“Former WNW Staff”

For them right now this must be like the modelling equivalent of having been in The Beatles…

Hopefully Kotare will be more like how the Foo Fighters are to Nirvana.

^_^

Well they’re not doing solo albums. I think WNW was Nirvana or Pink Floyd. These guys yes foo-fighters or Rolling Stones… or Grateful Dead?

Lets hope they have more hits and re-releases than Elton John and Madonna combined. That’s a scary thought. Imagine that. 

16 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

That is 100% how I take it as well. Hope for the best kind of thing (without planning on the worst) as those guys have a LOT of experience on what they want to do............as well as what they don't want to do.

Well - They have gotten together to start a company that will design and build model kits for us - whats not to like? ;) 

For what its worth, What has happened to the WNW moulds, contractual bust ups, what remains of WNW is all but speculation. 

What is fact is that a new model company has been announced which can only be good for the hobby in these more than trying times. 

As to subject, whether they are WNW former moulds, something completely new or indeed reboxes, I hope they make a quality product that will sell bucket loads, and to that end I wish them all success for the future and although WW1 isnt my bag, I will be watching from the sidelines.

Now, A little bird tells me they have obtained the moulds from Kitty Hawk!,       Ill get my coat!  

12 hours ago, Bob MDC said:

Chinese IP Law  :mental:  what is this ,  surely this is only mythical 

No this is not for a simple reason: some Chinese companies are now copied by other companies! This is exactly what occured in Japan and then in Korea some decades ago. As far as you are just copying others you do not care of the copyright, as soon as you're losing business to "unfair competitors" copying you, well,  your standpoint is evolving... ;-)

The part that stood out to me was that they were aiming at both experienced and novice modelers.

As trouble free as possible to attract more people to the hobby. Which of the WNW kits would fit

that description ?  I don't think rigging would appeal to most novices.   :shrug:

2 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

The part that stood out to me was that they were aiming at both experienced and novice modelers.

As trouble free as possible to attract more people to the hobby. Which of the WNW kits would fit

that description ?  I don't think rigging would appeal to most novices.   :shrug:

Novice modellers to me means famous aircraft which would appeal to them such as P-51, Spitfire, Bf109 and Hurricane. Maybe the odd modern jet thrown in for good measure.

2 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

I don't think rigging would appeal to most novices.   :shrug:

I've been modelling for 50 plus years, I think I'm experienced with average creative skills - the thought of two wings and rigging sends shivers down my spine. I picked up the ICM gladiator when it first came out, immediately painted and nearly finished it - it now sits on the shelf of doom, waiting for me to get the courage to try and fix that upper wing to the rest of the plane.  You makers of double wingers are a wonder to me, it's all witchcraft and dark arts and it scares me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   

16 minutes ago, npb748r said:

I've been modelling for 50 plus years, I think I'm experienced with average creative skills - the thought of two wings and rigging sends shivers down my spine. I picked up the ICM gladiator when it first came out, immediately painted and nearly finished it - it now sits on the shelf of doom, waiting for me to get the courage to try and fix that upper wing to the rest of the plane.  You makers of double wingers are a wonder to me, it's all witchcraft and dark arts and it scares me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   

Honestly, it really isn't. It's gluing little loops of wire into holes, theading thread through little tubes and dabbing drops of CA. What's daunting is the amount of it.

If you can balance the upper wing on top of your Gladiator, the rigging is only window dressing. 

The real problem isn't rigging, it's poor kit design - particularly how the cabane struts attach to the fuselage. In my opinion, it should be possible to do this with a kit:

DSCF1600.JPG

Richard