First ever LSP - Tamiya’s Mk VIII Spit - Progress on the cockpit!

Hello all,

Long-time lurker here on the forum but finally decided to sign up and join in the fun! I’ve recently gotten back into the hobby having spent many happy hours crudely bashing together cheap airfix kits as a kid. Since then, I have completed one 1/48 Eduard Friedrich more recently which turned out OK, and that’s it. With that done, I decided why not go bigger? The fun is in the details after all… 

So I bought this!

RmH85f.jpg

Having heard (and read extensively on this forum!) such great things about Tamiya’s 1/32 offerings I decided there could be no better place to start and I couldn’t resist picking up every bit of aftermarket I could get for the kit too! Not pictured are the Kopecky models gunbays and master barrels I also picked up but which have not arrived yet.

I’m planning on doing this one as the oft-reproduced 79 Squadron RAAF bird MT594 “Hava Go Jo” using the barracuda sheet so not very original I know, but I love the opportunities for weathering with this subject’s faded, repainted and over painted markings (and the elephant of course!).

I’ve already pulled a few bits and bobs off the sprues and have been amazed by the precision of the fit, it really is as good as everyone said! However I really do want to have ago at making the cockpit a little more detailed and accurate as I am aware that there are some significant differences between the real Mk VIII cockpit and what Tamiya has provided here, which seems to be Mk IX fit. I have the few photos from the Mk VII/VIII pilot’s notes and some shots taken from a 360 cockpit pano of the Mk VII at the National air and space museum but it’s difficult to properly see the port sidewall and the black fuse box with switches and buttons on top that is located on the lower portion and which I would like to try to reproduce. I’d also like to have a go at detailing behind the seat a little where it can be seen through the rear section of the canopy so elevator and rudder controls, compressed air plumbing on the big tanks etc. 

With that said, before I launch into the cockpit build, does anyone possibly have some better pictures of a Mk VIII cockpit that they wouldn’t mind sharing with me? I’ve spent many hours already trawling the net for stuff but come up with very little. Any good shots of sidewalls, behind the seat, underseat armour etc would be greatly appreciated. 

So anyway, that’s it for my first post! Sorry it’s a bit of a long one. Look forward to sharing my journey with you guys and if it turns out even half as good as the many amazing builds I’ve seen on here, I’ll be over the moon. 

Cheers,

Will

Edited by Westland WhirlWill

Welcome here Will! :hi:

Having built the Mk IXc kit, if I may offer an observation, don’t worry too much about the area behind the seat. It’s surprising, even though there’s a small clear canopy section above it, there isn’t a lot that can be seen back there once the fuselage is closed up. If you’re not convinced, dry fit together as much as you can, you’ll see what I mean. It’s a fantastic kit and you’re going to love building it. I look forward to seeing your progress.

Cheers,

Wolf

Excellent choice, the kit is great (I've built a Mk VIII and a IX), and it's a Spitfire, what's not to like?  :hi:to LSP.

41 minutes ago, Wolf Buddee said:

Having built the Mk IXc kit, if I may offer an observation, don’t worry too much about the area behind the seat. It’s surprising, even though there’s a small clear canopy section above it, there isn’t a lot that can be seen back there once the fuselage is closed up.

Agreed, what the kit offers is just what's needed.  One enhancement you may wish to consider is taking a drill and drilling out the holes in the fuselage frame the seat attaches to. 

Looking forward to seeing progress.

Welcome Will, you’ve chosen a supreme kit for your first WiP. I have to agree with previous comments about the visibility inside the cockpit once all’s closed up……you’ll have fun doing it but you’ll be the only person who knows it’s all there! But go for it, fun is what modelling is all about. 

6 hours ago, Westland WhirlWill said:

With that said, before I launch into the cockpit build, does anyone possibly have some better pictures of a Mk VIII cockpit that they wouldn’t mind sharing with me? I’ve spent many hours already trawling the net for stuff but come up with very little. Any good shots of sidewalls, behind the seat, underseat armour etc would be greatly appreciated. 

You might want to have a look at Vincent's modifications to get a Mk VIII cockpit from the Tamiya kit:

8 hours ago, Wolf Buddee said:

Welcome here Will! :hi:

Having built the Mk IXc kit, if I may offer an observation, don’t worry too much about the area behind the seat.

Thanks Wolf!

I’ve spent considerable time admiring your Mk IX WIP thread and have it bookmarked as THE reference to use for building this project. Love all the detail you put into yours, especially the engine, and when I get round to it I’ll be trying my best to crudely emulate some of your talent! 

Appreciate the advice on the rear cockpit, I’ll have a go dry fitting it all as you suggest before making a call on it. 

Cheers,

Will

8 hours ago, MikeC said:

Excellent choice, the kit is great (I've built a Mk VIII and a IX), and it's a Spitfire, what's not to like?  :hi:to LSP.

Agreed, what the kit offers is just what's needed.  One enhancement you may wish to consider is taking a drill and drilling out the holes in the fuselage frame the seat attaches to. 

Looking forward to seeing progress.

7 hours ago, mozart said:

Welcome Will, you’ve chosen a supreme kit for your first WiP. I have to agree with previous comments about the visibility inside the cockpit once all’s closed up……you’ll have fun doing it but you’ll be the only person who knows it’s all there! But go for it, fun is what modelling is all about. 

Mike and Max thank you both. Sounds like there’s a bit of a consensus that it’s not really worth adding stuff behind the cockpit so maybe I’ll forget about that, we’ll see… Certainly will be drilling out everything that needs it though and adding some of the Mk VIII specific stuff on the port sidewall as that definitely can be seen. Looking forward to getting cracking over the next few days!

Cheers,

Will

7 hours ago, Fanes said:

You might want to have a look at Vincent's modifications to get a Mk VIII cockpit from the Tamiya kit:

Thanks for the link Fanes. I had looked through this thread and the pictures of  Vincent and Gary’s builds before and planned to use it to help me scratch various parts that I couldn’t find any pictures of. Some really nice stuff from both of them. Their references must be better than anything I have/can find!

Cheers,

Will

:hi:

A great choice.  This is a nice model and I'm looking forward to your progress.  I finished one of these myself, recently, and the parts fit is so good it makes it an easy model to build and detail.  Mine also used one of the markings in your first pic.  I left the cockpit door open, so that makes viewing the insides easier.

:popcorn:

Cheers,

Michael

On 8/16/2021 at 6:02 PM, MARU5137 said:

Hello Will.

:post1:

Here is a link    with respect to Julien,  will be helpful.

Has cockpit photos etc.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235009155-supermarine-spitfire-mkviii/

Look forward to your Spitfire MkVIII build.

Thanks for all the links Maru, some helpful stuff for sure! Very much appreciated. Hadn’t actually seen the britmodeller walk around of the Temora spit although looks like it’s had a few unconventional/post war/warbird mods to the cockpit from what I can see. 

Away from home for a couple of days but hope to have some true progress pics to show soon! 
Cheers,

Will

16 hours ago, Dpgsbody55 said:

:hi:

A great choice.  This is a nice model and I'm looking forward to your progress.  I finished one of these myself, recently, and the parts fit is so good it makes it an easy model to build and detail.  Mine also used one of the markings in your first pic.  I left the cockpit door open, so that makes viewing the insides easier.

:popcorn:

Cheers,

Michael

Thanks Michael!

Yes if I’m going to the trouble of adding detail to the cockpit I will definitely be leaving it open so it’s all visible! In fact, I’m hoping to detail everything including engine and gun bays so it’ll be as fully opened up as I can make it!