"Mengnut" Fokker Dr 1 FINISHED

MikeC

Please forgive a bit of levity, I will evolve this into a proper WIP, but in the meantime, I thought I'd provide a little light-hearted entertainment.  With a bit of thought it's possible to work out from the picture what this WIP is going to be.  I'll give two clues:

It's 1:32 scale;

There is a kit part/parts under those books.

I'll give another clue if nobody gets it, but I think more than one of you will.

20210809-142420-2.jpg

Edited by MikeC

16 minutes ago, Archimedes said:

Hi Mike

Is it the Matchbox DH82a Tiger Moth and you are fixing the dihedral or the front seat? (or both!).

Best regards,

Paul

Sorry, no, but it is concerned with dihedral.

Well, as @adameliclem rightly deduced, these were under the books.  As I said above, it was a dihedral-related issue, the well-known "banana dihedral" of all three mainplanes on the Meng Dr1. 

20210810-080429.jpg

The well-known broken panel on the middle wing was still attached very precariously, and being forewarned by the reviews and build threads on here and elsewhere, I was able to save it and place it aside in a small box for safe keeping.

We'd better have a boxtop shot:

20210810-080327.jpg

I won't be doing any of the box options, my subject will be number 1 here:

20210810-080351.jpg

This is the aircraft of Ltn August Raben, Jasta 18.  I was rather drawn to the scheme as it is colourful, and if I'm honest it avoided having to try and represent a streaky finish.  It also has a tenuous local connection, as it was based for a short while at Faches-Thumesnil, which is the twin town of where I live.  The only issue I have is whether the cowling was in fact red, as represented here, or white, as I have seen stated; I'm inclined to white.  Anyone else have any thoughts or knowledge?

This may be a little slow in updating, as I'm also doing a couple of other models and some real-life stuff too, so please bear with me.

• MikeC changed the title to "Mengnut" Fokker Dr 1
  • 3 months later...
On 8/11/2021 at 6:36 AM, MikeC said:

This may be a little slow in updating, as I'm also doing a couple of other models and some real-life stuff too, so please bear with me.

OK: The car now has a new gearbox, the grandchildrens' Christmas presents are bought, and most of the other real life stuff is done and dusted; and of the "couple of other models" one is done and the other - a P-51D in the Revell GB - seems to be languishing a bit.  So I've picked this one up again.  I seem to have spent ages tinkering in the cockpit, and suddenly the fuselage is together, and I didn't get any photos before closing up.  The engine is also substantially done, I think, although I'm thinking the cylinders may be a bit dark - what does the team think?

20211127-140022.jpg

Edited by MikeC

A little more progress: the tailplane/elevators and middle wings are attached, as is "the bit that always breaks off in the box" ie the right-hand cockpit coaming.  A couple of dabs of filler were needed on the top fuselage joint, the rear one being due to my carelessness.

20211130-145341.jpg

20211130-145349.jpg

Don't you just hate how the camera always finds the things the eye cant see?  In particularthe missed paint on the harness.

20211130-145442.jpg

That's all for now, more soon.

• 2 weeks later...

So I've got a basic coat of white on various bits.  The plan is to paint the undersides of the middle wings and the tops of the lower wings; then add the lower wing and deal with any seam issues in that part of the lower fuselage before carrying on with painting.

20211204-131358.jpg

(I really should use my proper camera rather than my phone for these.)

I then decided to paint the topcoat of white on those areas that are going to end up white, which are the rear fuselage and tailplane.  Having done that, I started to mask up the white ready to do the underside blue eventually, and a thought struck me: two of the control cable holes are surrounded with small etched parts.

20211208-155217.jpg

Oops, there's some debris to sand out as well!  Anyway, the two etched surrounds each side are attached with white glue, and there's a risk that masking - even Tamiya tape - will pull them off.  So I thought a bit of paper - cut from a small sticky note - would go between the fuselage and the masking tape to protect it.

20211208-155429.jpg

Et voila.

20211208-155928.jpg

Plodding on slowly, thanks for staying with me.