Phear the Bones. Another F-4B conversion.

MDuv

On 12/7/2021 at 8:23 PM, mattcour said:

The nozzles are great!!

Hi MAtt, Thank you. I am happy with them as well :-)

On 12/8/2021 at 6:38 PM, spartacus2000 said:

great work can u give me printing parameter(I switched from black to gray resin and I have problems with the setting) tnx in advance

Hi Spartacus.
Here are my current. I over lenghtened the exposure time because i'm currently working with old stashed resin (more than a year) wich kept failing with lower exposure.
Not sure if the setting will be valid anymore when I switch to new stock.
C3Q84NR.png

On 12/8/2021 at 9:50 PM, Marcel111 said:

Incredible work going on here! Cockpit and exhaust look amazing and they are not even in the correct scale!

Marcel

Thanks Marcel. I hope the larger one will please you as well.
Anyz and AIrscale decals at the menu to bring all this grey space to life.
Cheers.

Hi guys, here is a small update on the  seamless Intakes dev.

I got theses tubes in the final stage of fitting.

BwvMgna.jpg

NflO1Gu.jpg

Fitting pics are not full length intakes as the printing time for a complete part is about 8hours.
So I just printed the first part of the tube until the profile is correct, that's still 2 hours of wait until test fit.
CaFTVOi.jpg

uwA4Y8n.jpg

NYCyd7O.jpg

HKTeYr1.jpg

Full length early attempts are pictured here. They do not fit at all with the kit part, but you get the idea.

rgDG50Z.jpg

8c1s2JM.jpg

Family pic with the kit part.
72ZvVD1.jpg
Unlike other seamless intake correction, the outer Tamiya part is to be kept, and the suckers has to be (force) glued to it.
Some filler will be needed to complete the assembly. But its located at a very reachable and easy to work place.
I think it's more viable than designing a full outer, wich will have to be fitted to the fuselage.

I am of course considering sharing the file once fully finished, but still need to figure out how to do this easily.

Maybe there is possibility on the Scale Model Paint Masks forum to expand to 3D model sharing as well ?

Cheers.

Mathieu
Edited by MDuv

Brilliant design and execution Mathieu!

This in my opinion is the best way to achieve a seamless intake for the Tamiya kit.  I used a seamless intake set and ground off the outside and slipped it into the plastic parts.  I found this easier to do than dealing with more resin surface details to deal with against the plastic medium

brilliant!

On 12/11/2021 at 7:42 PM, Anthony in NZ said:

Brilliant design and execution Mathieu!

This in my opinion is the best way to achieve a seamless intake for the Tamiya kit.  I used a seamless intake set and ground off the outside and slipped it into the plastic parts.  I found this easier to do than dealing with more resin surface details to deal with against the plastic medium

brilliant!

Hi Anthony,
Yeah from my experience, blending resin into plastic is more labor intensive, and more prone to lead to problem in the aftermath. Hence the path i've chosen for this.

On 12/13/2021 at 9:56 AM, Starfighter said:

Absolutely stunning work, Mathieu! A great platform to share 3D files is cults (www.cults3d.com). Fanch usees it to hsre his brilliant 3D files as well. I would love to give it a try on my Mono X for sure. 

Hi Starfighter,
Thanks for the heads up, indeed it's the platform I had selected.
Hope you have an unassembled phantom kit at your disposal, See next post.
Cheers.

Edited by MDuv

Hi guys,

Here is the final prototype for my intake tubes, they are roughly printed to speed up the print time and check the fit, production parts should be smoother.
vOnMSey.png

I added a support that conform to the fuselage part and keep it well aligned.

61J9iaw.jpg

q22sbkp.jpg

The screw assembly of the original part is kept and reused.

xqHeAaE.jpg
The turbine faces and pitot tubes are reused as well.

The only puttying needed should be where the lip join the intake outer part.
There is bad moulding marks at that point so smoothing was needed anyway.
This area being easily accessible, it’s an easy job.
oC6w6aB.jpg

WWnHpCp.jpg

Dv5rbeF.jpg

Would you want to give it a try ? It's avaible to downlad for free: 
Edited by MDuv

• 1 year later...

Hi Gene !

Funny you are unearthing this thread ! Thoses Intakes looks the part ain't they?

I have been quite a bit distracted from the build.
To keep the story short: I started designing the rear cockpit parts, intending to keep the parts number to a minimum, then I realised, that for fitting them, the tub would have to be modded. Tamiya (and most AM brands) gives you an angled rear wall (behind the seat) while it should be vertical. So I started to design a new tub, and with the skills on fusion slowlly increasing, I wanted to try other things.... and thats the point I lost focus on the Phantom.

I intend, however to get back and finish the whole thing, but that might wait for the new F-4B to be released, and my other distractions to be completed !
Regards.

Mathieu

56 minutes ago, MDuv said:

Those Intakes looks the part ain't they?

Absolutely. Quite an impressive Fusion accomplishment.

Warning off scale follows:

I reduced and printed your intakes to 1/72 to use with Hasegawa Phantoms -- took quite a lot of fiddling, but the parts are useable. Wish I were somewhat as accomplished in Fusion as you are an expert. I also reduced your wing parts to 1/72 and tailored them to a FineMolds kit. "One of these days" I'll actually start the modding!

...  with the skills on fusion slowly increasing, I wanted to try other things.... and that's the point I lost focus on the Phantom.

I totally understand. Fusion proved to be beyond my diminished mental skills.

I intend, however to get back and finish the whole thing, but that might wait for the new F-4B to be released, and my other distractions to be completed !

It will be worth the wait to witness your magic. However, I wouldn't hold my breath on new 1/32 Phantoms, especially from Sprue Brothers ... or do you know otherwise??

Thanks again for all the sharing.

Gene K

• 3 months later...