Phear the Bones. Another F-4B conversion.

MDuv

22 hours ago, Starfighter said:

Thank you so much Mathieu, that's totally awesome! Stupid question and I hope I'm not asking too much - would it be possible to get the original drawings as well? Wi would love to ask a friend of mine to cut the parts on his CNC mill... 

Hi, You are welcome.
If by original drawings, you mean the vectore files used to create this. I fear there is none. I draw directly on silhouette. using a paper scan as reference.
Mathieu

16 hours ago, Gene K said:

Teeny tiny off-topic :blush: 1/72. I scaled down and cut your file this morning, and should work well after some adjustment for the panel line differences between the Tamiya and the FineMolds kit I'll be using. Thanks.

Gene K

Hi Gene, I m curious to see how it turns out ! I wish you luck and aligned planets to sort it out.
Cheers.

27 minutes ago, MikeMaben said:

Hi Mathieu, which tool did you use for the rivets ?

Thanks

Hi Mike. This is a RB product Rivet-R  runned on the outer face. 1.5mm pitch on this case.
Cheers.
Mathieu

On 9/17/2021 at 4:10 AM, Starfighter said:

would it be possible to get the original drawings as well? Wi would love to ask a friend of mine to cut the parts on his CNC mill... 

To which Mathieu replied: [quote] If by original drawings, you mean the vector files used to create this. I fear there is none. I draw directly on silhouette. using a paper scan as reference. [/quote]

Starfighter,

If your friend's CNC mill can process SVG files, you can convert Mathieu's Studio file to SVG by using this outstanding on-line conversion site. The resulting SVG file can also be used by other cutter programs l that handle SVGs ... like Cricut.

:thumbsup:

Gene K

Edited by Gene K

• 2 weeks later...

Hey folks, sorry for replaing so late - I've been on holiday and I'm just slowly catching up on what's been going on in the forums! :) First of all, thanks Mathieu for your reply - then, thanks a lot Gene for the link, I'll give it a go! If I remember correctly, my friend's mill uses DWG or DXF files - we'll see if he can use SVG as well! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Some virtual progress on this one.

The B left rear cockpit being very different than the J one, better start from new than trying to mod it.

So I took the 1/48 tamiya part as a 3d reference, to design a whole new left side. I then detailled it using ref pics from the daco book, and this excellent Website

I started with the most visible and complex box: the radar control assembly.

uJWyRuE.jpg

xvija4M.jpg

Every Blue area is going to be populated with stuff.

For the folks accustomed with the 1/48 Tamiya Phantom, it should look a familiar design.

6i7EPcE.jpg

Some ref: 

http://aviation.watergeek.eu/images/f-4b/f-4b_rear_1975.jpg

For now that is just a box, but Im kinda happy to see the relatively fast progress on it (2x 6hours behind the screen).

Of course the whole side is schedulled for 3d printing once done. Another daunting task, with lot to learn.

Cheers.

Mathieu

On 10/15/2021 at 10:26 AM, Starfighter said:

Lovely progress, Mathieu! 

Hi & Thank you @Starfighter! Much appreciated.

Last Progress: the utility console in front of the radar tuning panel. Thoses knobs were a nightmare to dress and position.

LvsnNDQ.png

Same but with some texture. The Anyz decals will come handy in due time.

IC2ijyS.png

uhtQ93m.jpg

Now in parrallel of the follow up boxes,I have to figure out how to make the damn printer create this.

Cheers
Mathieu

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi @Youngtiger1 and @mattcour Sorry for the long overdue reply. Thank you for your comments and kind words.
I think as well  there is a bright future for modeling with the new technologies. I am slowly getting results on prints, and my brains are already bowling with possible future never made projects.
Cheers.

Mathieu

By the way, this project was not shelved.
I have forced myself to slow down real modeling to plug in the printer, and start learning the (complicated/frustrating/..) printing process.

And in the mean time, I have started a 1/48 Tamiya F-4B to acclimate myself with the Phantom subbtilities. This is an In flight pose of the same subject (i do only in flight with lower scales)

Disclaimer: NOT Large Scale (im not intending to share this build here, but if this short interlude is not allowed, I will remove it)

Quinta cockpit inside, just to give this new tech a try.
I tried to blend the grey tones by brushing the cockpit color over quinta's parts.
kH0iRbH.jpg

Wheels up, found it easier to make a one part wheel doors with cameo than to attempt leveling the 3 separate.
Engine vent was modded closed as well. And the centerline slot was modded to allow not putting something on the centerline. There is a weird protruding centering tab on the kit that does not allow a clean belly display.
ryFpCO1.jpg

Candle leds and micro leds were wired into the exhaust. Light it up Baby!
0NRCpdd.jpg

One of the reason I started a lower scale build: Experimenting on the hot end painting. this was done per the tamiya instructions for the base paint. Then micro line masks were added on each panel. Soot was sprayed over, blended with more soot, and rubbed with white spirit. Happy how it turned out, I will reuse the technique on the 1/32 build.
RI6RdGm.jpg

The tail was sprayed the same way I did for the 1/32. The smaller mask is a bit more difficult to work with, but came out ok in the end. 
The clean tail top is from hypersonic models, a drop fit !
fCMQqtg.jpg

The current state, wainting n the base.
Sl0COjZ.jpg

So Back to 1/32:

The update is smaller, as most of the time was allowed to get some actual prints. Calibrations, tests, fails (lot of).
In the end I began getting some actual prints.

Here is a print of the left aft side being worked to fit the modded Aires cockpit part. The print is a fail, but the dimensions remain, so its a nice start having it fitting into. The position is not right yet as it's too far forward and too high. More grinding needed on the floor.

ZUqSnv4.jpg

5uEEVpq.jpg

In the mean time, I have printed Jumpei Temma's amazing exhausts cans.

He made them sized to 1/48. But the model did not suffer too much of the 150% enlargement.
They are wider than the kit and Aires parts. So the size problem might be solved. Still have to make accurate measurement to be sure, but parts are in the curing station.

In the back ground, an example of the numerous fails encountered. The rear IP isn't good either.

kcNSiQ5.jpg

2wVc2AX.jpg

I have done an attempt at designing seamless intakes.
More on that on a future post.

Cheers.

Mathieu

Edited by MDuv

3 hours ago, John1 said:

I like the effect you got by over-brushing (is that a word?) the Quinta decals.   What did you use for paint on this?   Very realistic.  

Hi John, I went over with the same paint used for painting the tamiya stock parts, Mr Hobby H... Somethin looking like cockpit grey(i thought i had noted it but cant find)

Fun thing with the quinta parts, is that they are quite spongious when you lay paint on them.
So its super easy to obtain an even finish without worrying too much. 

Cheers
Mathieu