Phear the Bones. Another F-4B conversion.

MDuv

Hi!
My Focke build is a bit stalled atm and I am not in the mood for small finishing steps.
Having worked on this big beast On and Off for some time, I think it's time for a WIP topic to get the things really started.

The present conversion work is very inspired by Peter's (EasixPedro) own master piece. I am just happy to follow his footsteps, and sometimes adapt the techniques used to my taste. I'll be starting from the C boxing, but have a J at hand if necessary.

I would like to depict a strapped to catapult bird, ready for the big acceleration, but I still need to figure out the strap configuration.

The subject :

j03NfLX.jpg

Early F-4B from VF-84 during the 1965 cruise on the Independance. 

The parts I already gathered :

AMS Mk5 seats & thin wheels.

jd3YJkc.jpg

J cockpit, to be adapted to earlier standard

gfH68tk.jpg

And Aires short Exhausts, gotta check the diameter thing.

9FxExww.jpg

As a motivational work, the tail was done and almost finished earlier :

The markings

umu6doi.jpg?1

And voila

wMCzSsp.jpg

Edited by MDuv

Following closely with the thinning of the wing :

As a starter, the yellow tape was used to delimit the surface to work on. It was removed, scanned and imported in the silhouette software to draw a first mask (the upper one) it was then cut on oramask (the middle one) and applied on the surface to check its fit

CrsqHhI.jpg

Then panel lines were drawn with a cd pencil on the mask while on the wing.

uA98sX4.jpg
The drawn mask was then put alongside the others on the paper and scanned. 

Panel lines were added accordingly using the scan on the cut file.

Once everything was fine, thin plastic card was then cut: 

baruZ4w.jpg

To be in line with the wing plastic thickness (1mm) another sheet of 0.5 was cut as well, this time without the surface detail.

Sb8YkWr.jpg

QNCK6dg.jpg

Then the cirurgy on the wing may begin, I just removed material under the mask, if everything was done right, the new part should slot in with minimal adjustment.

VGBVEO7.jpg

Point of no return reached..

The new parts are then attached after adding plastic strips to support from under:

kaDDcdg.jpg

tTovSwy.jpg

The Panel lines seems to line up, wich makes me very happy :-)

9CgL0SE.jpg

Still a lot of work, but a bit closer now.

Ah yes, and I have to other wing to do..

Cheers.

Mathieu

Edited by MDuv

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys ! Thank to all of you for your positive vibes.

@easixpedro, haha, i'm the hamfisted one when it comes to cut and form plastic by hand. i better relay on technology for sure :-D
@Anthony in NZ, thank you, i may not be commenting on your post, wich  would be only amazed repeating of already said things. But i'm following it closely and very fan of what you are doing. Keep it up.
@J.J. I did trace it with a silouhette. Just got my hands on the tamiya 1/48. wich i'll build in flight in the same scheme. Shoot a pm, i can send you the File.

Cheers
Mathieu

Some limited news from the front: 

I've been busy mating the two flat surface togheter: Surfacer, sanding, check, surfacer, sanding, .... -Repeat. Nothing really entertaining, but necessary.

IOy6cMh.jpg
Here is an intermediate state of things.

wich finally led here; 

32qbWAL.jpg

dcb8zNF.jpg

I also correted the panel line layout. wich was inccorect in my first attempt.

On the cockpit side, I started studiying the parts I have at hand: Tamiya C cockpit, Aires J cockpit, C Eduard PE, Aires Mk7 Seats, AMS Mk5 Seats.

RIO Front and left panels will need modding, right panel is kinda ok.
Pilot office looks almost identical to the C version.

AMS seats are great but less defined than the aires MK7, so i'll try to backdate the aires seat to mk5 standard with the AMS as reference.
IiqNaOf.jpg
Phamily pic : take a seat please.
F9eXtRK.jpg

First cut on the resin, I removed the centered throttle in the RIO Office, just behind the scope, will relocate it in front of the harmrest
5tKx6zb.jpg

Laslty a pic of the subject in all her glory :

TpfkS31.png

Cheers. 
Mathieu

Mathieu that is beautiful and clean work, I love what you are doing here!

Your attention to detail is very precise, clean and detailed, please keep it up, you are inspiring me!  

I am glad you are looking at my Phantom build, I hope you find it interesting, but your standards are high and you set the bar higher for me!

Cheers Anthony

1 hour ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Mathieu that is beautiful and clean work, I love what you are doing here!

Your attention to detail is very precise, clean and detailed, please keep it up, you are inspiring me!  

I am glad you are looking at my Phantom build, I hope you find it interesting, but your standards are high and you set the bar higher for me!

Cheers Anthony

You're not kidding! My build is looking downright childish compared to that lovely work. I've been staring at his panel lines for a few minutes now and want to go back and fix mine (too bad they're covered in decals now).