Guadalcanal SBD-3

Woody V

13 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Super work, Woody!

Kev

13 hours ago, Subodai said:

What an absolute stunner! Lovely work.

3 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Excellent work Woody  :clap2: one of a kind detailing, really like the photography as well. :goodjob:

1 hour ago, monthebiff said:

Just superb, really looks good and enjoyed your build thread.

Regards. Andy 

Thank you all for the kind words. I know I'm kinda' remiss in posting responses in the build thread, but I do appreciate any and all comments.

2 hours ago, chuck540z3 said:

Fantastic build Woody!  Those famous decal rivets of yours really makes this build “pop” away from the crowd and the chipping is outstanding.

Cheers,

Chuck

Hi Chuck,

Most all of the chipping on the airframe is actually paint, which I resorted to because the hairspray thing didn't work. The prop is a combination of hairspray/water and scraping with the sharp dental tool. My problem with hairspray/water is that the paint comes up in chunks, but I found that after using water the paint can be very gently scraped which gives it the chunks sharp edges. That's what I did on the prop.

I'm really happy the rivets are getting a positive response. I spent 19 months putting that project together. The SBD is probably the most "riveted" US Aircraft ever, or at lease it seemed that way. I'm eyeing the TBM for a similar sheet, but only the fuselage had brazier head rivets so that should make it a lot simpler. 

Woody

2 hours ago, CZPetrP said:

Beautiful SBD! Congratulation:clap2:

That surface looks great...wow

1 hour ago, Kagemusha said:

An absolute stunner, the rivets really affect the light quality coming off the surface of the model, very realistic.

Thank you for commenting.

Fantastic build Woody,

The work you’ve done and the rivet detail you added definitely sets your model apart and adds a wonderful level of detail rarely seen on builds of the Dauntless. I personally (I sincerely hope you don’t take this as a criticism of your work) would have toned down the starkness of the panel line weathering on the fuselage and inner sections of the wings but that’s just my preference. Nonetheless your Dauntless build is absolutely brilliant Woody!

Cheers,

Wolf