F-14D VF-213 NH101: Major Decision Time

Crew Dog

The cockpit arrived on Monday, and work has shifted in earnest to that. The detail, as per Aires, is phenomenal, but take care with this one, as there are a LOT more toggles and switches than a more modern pit. Taking the main tub off the casting block was a bit more of work, due to the complex shape on the underside.

2021-08-13_09-29-54

Once that was taken off, I gave the pit a good rinse and laid down the black primer.

20210811_060736

20210811_060753

I gave the same treatment to the two IP's, and test fit them to the main tub

20210811_060905

20210811_060910

Once giving that 24(ish) hours to cure, I applied the grey coloring to the pit, using MiG's FS26231.

20210813_092336

20210813_092439

20210813_092506

The next step will be to add the PE bezels and instrument faces, pick out the details for the switches and red guards, and paint the coamings and fabric side wall coverings. If anyone has any pictures of the side walls or know what color they are supposed to be, I will happily take them, as the only pictures I can find on the internet for them are from others' assembled pics of the AM pit. As always, thanks for stopping by the hangar!

Work has been continuing on the pit, moving on to detail work. Again, another straightforward job, using only Steel for the toggle switches, FS26231 for the myriad dials, and Red (obviously) for the red guarded switches.

20210815_150542

20210815_150551

Next went on Yellow for the warning markings on the jettison panel and wing sweep lever.

20210817_124608

20210817_124617

Additionally, touch up work has been done and most of the gauges have been added to the IP's with only the fuel gauges remaining to affix on the front panel. Next step is to attach the throttles and sticks, finish up the bezels and paint up the coamings.

As always, thanks for stopping by the hangar!

Edited by Crew Dog

On 8/4/2021 at 7:13 AM, Crew Dog said:

I started the kit from an unusual area this time: the wings. This is mainly due to waiting on the Aires cockpit to come in. The fit was overall good, with decent (for Trumpeter) recessed details, but...

20210804_115821

there's a noticeable step at the wing root area, easily blendable to make it a uniform height

20210804_115832

I'm not too worried about where the leading edge slat will be, as the wings will be overswept to 75 deg in a flight deck powered down configuration. the other "major" issue is on the wingtip, where an interesting decision was made to have the joints on the upper surface instead of the lower. As such, I got some free panel joints out of it, but one seam gap exists that shouldn't be there

20210804_115839

The diagonal one from the leading edge going back to the flap area will need to be filled, but luckily there's no real rivet detail that is in danger. The step seen at the trailing edge will also need to be readdressed once the glue has cured. As always, thanks for stopping by the hangar!

Those "raised areas" around the wingtip light and, the slime lights should not be raised, they are smooth with the wing. I had to fix this issue with my 1/18th scale Cat when I redid her.

As for the sidewalls, just us the same color FS 36231, Dark Gull Gray, just like the rest of the pit.

Steve

"TOMCATS FOREVER, BABY...!"

Edited by A-10LOADER

38 minutes ago, A-10LOADER said:

Those "raised areas" around the wingtip light and, the slime lights should not be raised, they are smooth with the wing. I had to fix this issue with my 1/18th scale Cat when I redid her.

As for the sidewalls, just us the same color FS 36231, Dark Gull Gray, just like the rest of the pit.

Steve

Thanks for the sidewall info Steve, been doing my head in trying to find pics, but it seems everyone is more interested in the shiny, blinking parts :D.

As far as the wingtip and slime light mounting areas, I definitely saw that they all sat flush with the rest of the wing skin, so they will be appropriately addressed closer to heading to paint barn. Time to break out the ol' thumbtack and Crew Chief some flush rivets!

Edited by Crew Dog

15 minutes ago, geedubelyer said:

Nice job Crew Dog. 

Those circuit breaker panels in the RIO's pit will have you seeing double:D

Keep at it. 

Already a bit cross eyed every time I finish a row! Side walls are luckily done, so now it's just the rear of the GiB pit

2 hours ago, MARU5137 said:

Crew Dog,

Your cockpit with its details looks perfect.

:goodjob:

:bow:

Thank you very much! I'm sure I'm not the only one, but I like to push myself with each jet I build, learn new tricks and generally better myself in this hobby

It's been a busy few days for me, both at work and at the bench, with work continuing on the pit, this time focusing on the dreaded C/B panels. I began with the sidewalls, mainly to see if my had is steady enough to cope with the wraparound "labels" for each breaker.

2021-08-22_05-57-30

Once satisfied that I can do it, I moved to the rear of the RIO pit, and gave them the same treatment.

20210822_115445

I also attached and detailed the RIO sticks, and gave the MFD's a coating of Kristal Klear, although I'm not completely happy with how it settled. I may take it off and just gloss coat the screens instead.

20210822_175541

Minor detailing and touchups throughout, and the throttles are attached to the quadrant.

20210822_175553

I'm overall happy with how it's turning out, and am glad that I'm only doing a little bit here and there rather than trying to knock it all out in a day or so.

Not really a jet modeler but I’m really enjoying your efforts immensely.    I have this same kit with Zacto-man inlets and tried to sell the lot off a couple times.  Yet!   I still love the F-14B’s and D!   Thanks for sharing your awesome efforts with us.

Troy.  

The cockpit is nearly done, with just the sidewalls needing to be attached as far as main construction goes.I took off the Kristal Klear as it wasn't giving a convincing representation of a powered-down screen, reapplied the black base and added clear gloss to it. At least in my eyes its far more accurate, and the reference pictures I've seen only give the green tint to the screen at certain light angles.

20210823_094552

20210823_094556

The rear sidewalls are attached, having only had to repaint the interior and removable lights black before assembly.

20210831_104616

20210831_104643

While those were finishing up with drying, I moved on to the front center stick, and now just need to detail the rocker arm on the side prior to giving it a permanent home.

2021-08-31_10-49-37

I will be ordering the gear bays today, and unfortunately will not be getting G Factor's gear set, as they are absolutely impossible to find (Hobbylinc shows them in stock, but when I try to add them to the cart, they say they're out of stock.) So some ingenuity and head-smashing are in order for when it comes time to do the gear.