Silhouette Gurus, Settings assistance, please?

Citadelgrad

I have a Silhouette Portrait 3 that I am trying to cut my first set of masks with.

I looked here and elsewhere, and purchased Oromask 810.

I set my settings at depth 1, force 5, speed 5.

I was able to send my work to the cutter, and it performed as expected, I guess.

My issue is I can see where it made passes, but i don't think it cut at all, it just drew lines with the blade, I guess.

Now naturally it seems like blade depth is too shallow, but I thought I would ask, are these settings a starting place and with this result, what do I change, and to what?

Thanks, all! 

In looking more closely, there is an led on the lever that locks the blade which does not light up.  The blade is installed properly, but the LED does not lint up.

The program recognizes that it is an autoblade, but i dont think its working properly.  

Can’t really help I’m afraid because my “old” Silhouette doesn’t have that degree of sophistication, but it appears to be a “blade not locked into place” problem. Your settings appear to be fine, though have you actually taken the blade cartridge out and checked how much blade is showing? 

On my Cameo, that is not an LED. That lever pulls in/out for latching the blade. If I look in the hole, when it is latched in, there is a green dot. When it's pulled out to release the blade, it is black. Note, my machine is black, so I assume it would be whatever color your machine is.

Have you set your depth to 2?

When you start your cut, the machine should move the blade to the location of a recess in the case. The first thing it does is to reset the blade to zero then it should pump the blade up and down however many times necessary to reach your setting. Twice for 2.

Dave

2 hours ago, denders said:

On my Cameo, that is not an LED. That lever pulls in/out for latching the blade. If I look in the hole, when it is latched in, there is a green dot. When it's pulled out to release the blade, it is black. Note, my machine is black, so I assume it would be whatever color your machine is.

Have you set your depth to 2?

When you start your cut, the machine should move the blade to the location of a recess in the case. The first thing it does is to reset the blade to zero then it should pump the blade up and down however many times necessary to reach your setting. Twice for 2.

Dave

Thanks, Dave.  Good to know its not supposed to light up.  It absolutely is tracing the outlines where the cuts should be, but its not cutting at all, when i peel the backing, i cant see any cut at all, not even light. 

i will bump to 2 and re rerun the pattern and report back.   

Well, Oramask 810 is listed as 3 mil thickness. I don't know if that is just the material and does or does not include the adhesive. Somewhere I thought I read that the Auto Blade total adjustment 0 to 10 is a total of 1 mm. Therefore, setting 1 is for 0.1 mm. 0.1mm is just under 4 mil. So, theoretically it should cut. But as recommended by Max the depth should be setting 2. I've been using a depth setting of 2 and it cuts the material but it doesn't cut through the backing. HTH.

I changed the depth to 2 and voila!

KNl2N7.jpg

There are a couple errant cutouts, but I am at work and don't have fine tweezers or my optivisor.  This is the best I could do at the office, but I am really happy with these, they are the tail number for Gabreski's P47, and are as tall as a large paperclip is wide, and they will work perfectly.  

Thanks all!

• 3 weeks later...