P-47D-25 Cowling Interior Color

Hasegawa instructions call out either interior green or YZC.    Any idea which color would be appropriate and would this also include the interior of the air intake on the bottom?     While on the subject - does anyone have a good picture of the unique magneto housings that were present on the R2800's installed on these aircraft?

Thank you all in advance.

John

RssMIhj.jpg

GE Turtleback Ignition system used on all R-2800-59 B-series engines on P-47D bubbletop aircraft.  Quite a bit different than what Hasegawa provides, isn't it?  Can't say for certain on the cowl interiors but I remember using untinted zine (yellow) and some 56th FG aircraft painted the interior of the carburetor/oil cooler intake red to match the cowl.

Edited by Juggernut

Hey, John

P-47 cowling interiors were left unpainted, as were the firewall and other details. What was painted in YZC was the engine mount, but everything else was left in NMF.

dIHMz5Q.jpg

tJe4QaR.jpg

hlPE4BS.jpg

Note the cowling lying next to the crew chief's feet.

Here's the "turtleback" distributor/magneto installed on R-2800-59's:

IXhfDH6.jpg

Hope that helps!

Thomaz

Yikes, the magneto is much different from the Hase part.  I'm using the Quickboost engine, it's got a different style of "tapered" housing.  I think the best I'll be able to do is to add some bits to the QB parts and get it close as possible.   Still won't be a very good replication though.  

Nope, Hasegawa gaffed big-time on the engine ignition system.  When they released the P-47M version, they gaffed again and provided the correct GE ignition system for the -59 B-series 2800's (as shown above).  P-47M did not use the 2800-59, it used the -57 C series engine...different beast altogether.

Just as an FYI:

Hasegawa P-47D kits:

zyNDEG2.jpg

Hasegawa P-47M kit

wrDFZpD.jpg

The P-47M kits are harder than heck (for the most part) to come across but if you've got one in the stash or know someone who is going to correct their version of the M, you might ask if they'd spare parts K3 and K4 for you for your D build.  You will not need part K5 but will need to modify part J1 above to remove the center "magneto" and chop off the offending distributors so you can replace them with parts K3 and K4.

Edited by Juggernut