The ‘Viper’ pit - A short break to build other stuff.

Stokey Pete

Mini disaster strikes!

With the Thunderbirds jets looking incredibly shiny, I thought I’d use the opportunity to try out MRP 2K super gloss varnish. 
Amazing stuff when it’s dried, and goes bullet hard. However……a word of caution……don’t spill it on your beautiful paint job or decals, it eats into both quite brutally. 
The damage has been done to the wing undersurface, attacking the decals some. :BANGHEAD2:.

Luckily, with the pose I’ve put the kit in, the damage is invisible, and I’m really not inclined to attempt any repairs. What can’t be seen and all that…..

1 hour ago, Stokey Pete said:

Mini disaster strikes!

With the Thunderbirds jets looking incredibly shiny, I thought I’d use the opportunity to try out MRP 2K super gloss varnish. 
Amazing stuff when it’s dried, and goes bullet hard. However……a word of caution……don’t spill it on your beautiful paint job or decals, it eats into both quite brutally. 
The damage has been done to the wing undersurface, attacking the decals some. :BANGHEAD2:.

Luckily, with the pose I’ve put the kit in, the damage is invisible, and I’m really not inclined to attempt any repairs. What can’t be seen and all that…..

Oh no - sorry to hear that. I would like to extend that warning to cover all the varnishes from MRP. Spill any drops on your paint job and they will eat through everything down to the plastic

/Niels 

29 minutes ago, Confusionreigns178 said:

Once again, Pete, I am in awe of your Viper collection. Lovel, superb, definitive work, my friend. 

I was hoping that the Greek Zeus F-16 would turn up at RIAT this year, but it was not to be. Have they changed the scheme since 2015? I have no idea...

Cheers. 

Chris.  

I don´t think it exists anymore - They brought two regular ( and incredibly dirty ) F-16´s to the Danish Airshow in June as well

25 minutes ago, Zola25 said:

Oh no - sorry to hear that. I would like to extend that warning to cover all the varnishes from MRP. Spill any drops on your paint job and they will eat through everything down to the plastic

/Niels 

Lesson well and truly learnt here. Thankfully, I’ve kinda got away with it. I know it’s there but will never see it unless I take it down for cleaning. 

• 2 months later...

Well, it’s been a little while since I visited this, now not so small gathering of Vipers. The nest is growing ever larger. This jet being number 8 from 11.
The ‘Venom’ painted F-16 Demo’ Team aircraft. 
I’ve been procrastinating a lot about the masking set, and agonising over how I was going to apply them.  It turns out I had a master stroke of genius idea. I wet each mask before application, this allowed me to ‘slide’ each one into position in a similar way to decals. Thus allowing me the possibility of minute corrections to positioning long after application. So far, I’ve only applied the top surface. If it didn’t work out to my satisfaction, I was gonna remove the paint and switch schemes. But…….after many hours, much swearing, and careful study, I have this. 

52399545124_94563a0cf9_b.jpg

There’s a fair amount of overspray to correct around the nose, canopy, and edges of the wings. But I’m relatively happy with how it’s turned out. The symmetry of the scales isn’t perfect, nor is it so bad as to be blatantly obvious. I’m gonna let it breathe a bit now, while I devise a strategy for the touch ups and repairs. 

• Stokey Pete changed the title to The ‘Viper’ pit - Time for some snakeskin.

Onwards and upwards. I spent a maddening amount of time sharpening up some edges to the scales, and touching up the areas where paint had lifted. 
I’ve moved onto the tail assembly, eager to see the way the pattern aligned with the work on the fuselage. 
I gotta say that I’m super stoked with how it’s turned out. There’s just a couple of very minor touch ups to complete the scales alignment. 
Here we are currently…

52410862870_f66698b468_b.jpg

I’ve looked at so many photo’s of this aircraft, and it’s only occurred to me today that the silhouette on the tail is also an F-16. No idea how I missed it up until now. 

And just to prove to myself that one side wasn’t a fluke, here’s the other side of the tail, completed. Several hours of stressful mask positioning and careful touching up. 

52413286815_bed20ca0e0_b.jpg

I’ll leave it to breathe a while now. So I can get my head around the underside masking.