The ‘Viper’ pit - A short break to build other stuff.

Stokey Pete

7 hours ago, Landrotten Highlander said:

Not normally interested in an F-16 for some odd reason, but after seeing this work I might be pursuaded...

Love it so far.

I’m the very same, inc the F-18. Nice aircraft but never had the desire to build one. I purchased the Academy twin seat years ago and we just had a stare off for months on end, so I passed it on. However these builds do make you think, should I have got rid of that:doh:. Now scouring at F-16s’ & F18s’………dam you Stokey Pete:ph34r:

1 hour ago, Stevepd said:

I’m the very same, inc the F-18. Nice aircraft but never had the desire to build one. I purchased the Academy twin seat years ago and we just had a stare off for months on end, so I passed it on. However these builds do make you think, should I have got rid of that:doh:. Now scouring at F-16s’ & F18s’………dam you Stokey Pete:ph34r:

It’s because I chose a bunch of colourful ones isn’t it? 

8 hours ago, Landrotten Highlander said:

Not normally interested in an F-16 for some odd reason, but after seeing this work I might be pursuaded...

Love it so far.

It’s also odd, the affinity I have with this jet. It all started when I got to sit in one at Mildenhall Air Fete, many many years ago. It was the first jet I got up close and personal with. I was a wide eyed and giddy 7-8 yr old. I’ve been naturally  drawn to the type ever since. 

I’m not one for heavy weathering usually. But photo’s and my own sightings of ‘Zeus’ would suggest that the underside of this particular jet is filthy to the point of not seeing the camouflage anymore. 
I didn’t wanna go the whole 9 yards and make it look like it’s almost black underneath. Nor did I want it as ‘clean’ as I would normally finish a kit. So I went for a middle ground. 

52109892515_51521363d3_b.jpg

I’m just about a few metal parts and a satin coat away from getting this into a display pose. 

I’m calling it.

Number 5/9 that I have in total. Done. Past the half way line. :frantic:

52116653039_ecd890aa4f_b.jpg

Still to come…

2 F-16B - Thunderbirds Spare, and one from Hellenic AF.

2 F-16C - Venom display team, and a Nellis Blizzard Aggressor.

I’ve just had delivery of some of the markings, now waiting on ProCal decals to get me the Greek markings. 

52115618470_3e5c03dc88_b.jpg

I’m getting there bit by bit :rofl:

Edit: I just noticed the intake lights haven’t been painted. That will be done now. Oops. Called it too early. 

Edited by Stokey Pete

• 1 month later...
52197442358_cd3ce1c79b_b.jpg

It’s got some markings on it, and I used a highly thinned & lightened coat of each base colour to ‘bleach’ the decals a little.

Photo’s of similar examples have shown them to be bleached almost white, and with practically no markings on them apart from national insignia, and a few warnings around the nose. I didn’t want to go that far with the weathering of it. 

I’m calling this one done apart from the clear coloured light lenses. I need to replace my paint to do that but will wait until I’ve finished the others now. The eagle eyed will spot my artistic licence work. The AAM’s are training rounds, where the HARM’s are live rounds. In my head, it’s a live fire training sortie using the HARM’s. I don’t even know if they were carried for that era, BUT…..they look so good, I didn’t want to waste them. The engine exhaust nozzle is also incorrect for this particular jet, BUT…..again, I’ve simply used what I had available after the change of paint scheme mid build. No way was SWMBO going to allow me to replace all the goodies to convert it back to another block. 
So, here it is….

52206129927_3cef104412_b.jpg

Next up……Thunderbirds 2 seat jet, assuming I can fudge the Tamiya decals

onto the Academy kit. 

Stokey Pete you do some GREAT paint work. Just tremendous! I’m especially looking forward to your Thunderbirds build!

btw i have a bunch of misc Thunderbirds decals so if you need anything let me know and I’ll see if it’s in the bag for you.

Edited by themongoose

6 hours ago, themongoose said:

Stokey Pete you do some GREAT paint work. Just tremendous! I’m especially looking forward to your Thunderbirds build!

btw i have a bunch of misc Thunderbirds decals so if you need anything let me know and I’ll see if it’s in the bag for you.

Thanks for the offer, and will give you a shout if I get stuck anywhere along the way. 
I’m currently working out how to produce the high shine finish seen on T’birds. Me and gloss coats have never really got along. And, I’ve noticed from many photo’s that these jets start the day mirror like shiny.