The ‘Viper’ pit - A short break to build other stuff.

Stokey Pete

1 hour ago, Stevepd said:

That would look good in various states of zinc primer, akin to an assembly line. Just picked this thread up and it’ll do wonders for the year book 2022!, when the rest of us are putting up 2 or 3 kits:crying:. Is this the modellers version of “dropping the mic”

It’s almost exactly that Steve.

I have these left to paint, and a Viggen that’s had a little work started on it. That’s it, I have no more kits to build after that. This project is pretty much my retirement from modelling once completed. I have no more space to store built models, and my eyesight/dexterity just isn’t up to continuing. 

11 hours ago, Stokey Pete said:

I’ve decided to go the opposite way. I’m starting with the complex first. My rationale is that if I start with the most difficult while my mind is fresh. I’d hate to get the ‘easier’ ones done and screw up the tough ones from feeling jaded, or a desire to rush to the finish line. 

That makes perfect sense.  Start with the hardest one, then you can kind of coast to the finish line with the easy ones.

Matt 

Now then, after applying the masks for the black/grey pattern, and not resisting the urge to see how the decals perform. Here I am…..

52012480154_997ea486c8_b.jpg

I’m also gonna test a few decals

on the upper surface to check the alignment of the pattern. I’m not wholly convinced of the masking of the pattern. And due to then straight lines nature of the striping, I guess it needs to be spot on. If it isn’t, it’s a game ender. 

Edited by Stokey Pete

It would appear (so far) that my fears were unfounded. I wasn’t convinced with the shape of the masking films. There’s a sight shape shift from then real aircraft. That said, I’ll work with what I have, and it would appear that the striping decals match up to the black paintwork. I shall press on with the upper surface now, and get it completed.

52012341067_b9ffb9fbb6_b.jpg

I love that paint job - I was fortunate enough to see it flying its display in Denmark back in 20.. what.. 16? 

Pete, you are certainly no stranger to conversions I can see - is there a reason why you did not get the KASL tail for the Belgian Viper? It has the correct narrow front end for the early F-16´s and is a drop-in fit (well, almost)

Niels

6 hours ago, Zola25 said:

I love that paint job - I was fortunate enough to see it flying its display in Denmark back in 20.. what.. 16? 

Pete, you are certainly no stranger to conversions I can see - is there a reason why you did not get the KASL tail for the Belgian Viper? It has the correct narrow front end for the early F-16´s and is a drop-in fit (well, almost)

Niels

At the time of buying/converting, I wasn’t aware such a thing existed. Cost is a prohibitive factor for me these days too, or I’d have swapped it out. 

After walking away from this for a few days, and spending some time stripping the decals (no mean feat), I’m not far from being able to paint the underside with its silver sections. 

52027370062_fa071c1834_b.jpg

I couldn’t think of a better way to mask the complex shapes for the silver paintwork, other than applying one lot of underside decals to give me the outlines, these will be peeled off with the masking tape. I’ll then apply the second set of decal to give me the finished article. A slightly expensive way of going about it, but given the screw up with the upper surface, I may as well have made use of the spare set. 

And breathe…

52028454232_8a81332ec0_b.jpg

I’m just letting a layer of Microsol do it’s thing, so they’re still a little wrinkly. 
I’m a tad disappointed with the decals around the tail area. None fit properly, but I suspect they may be sized for a different kit, so I can’t really grumble. I managed to get almost everything else lined up with a little scalpel work, and a little artistic licence with the positioning. 

And the top surface is just about done. This has driven me to distraction a little. I had to keep the surface damp enough for all the decals to move throughout the process, to try and make them all join sufficiently.

now I’ll take a little break before putting finishing touches on. 

52031818264_18cd12c14f_b.jpg