The ‘Viper’ pit - A short break to build other stuff.

Stokey Pete

Pete, you Sir as mad...and I LOVE it!

I have always had a soft spot for the F-16 and always dreamed of doing a Tamiya CJ but this big Brit Phantom has put me off any more of these big jets from Tamiya.  Impressive when built is an understatement when I saw one on it's own, but 6!  Superb effort mate, I am hooked already

Cheers Anthony

5 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Pete, you Sir as mad...and I LOVE it!

I have always had a soft spot for the F-16 and always dreamed of doing a Tamiya CJ but this big Brit Phantom has put me off any more of these big jets from Tamiya.  Impressive when built is an understatement when I saw one on it's own, but 6!  Superb effort mate, I am hooked already

Cheers Anthony

i can partially blame my wife for the ever expanding set. She spots a good looking paint scheme and says “do it”. How can I refuse such an order. 
That said, 6 is the end of it. I’ve put my foot down and said no more…….honest.

With 2 already on the shelves, I think 8 is plenty. :rofl:

Edited by Stokey Pete

7 hours ago, Stokey Pete said:

i can partially blame my wife for the ever expanding set. She spots a good looking paint scheme and says “do it”. How can I refuse such an order. 
That said, 6 is the end of it. I’ve put my foot down and said no more…….honest.

With 2 already on the shelves, I think 8 is plenty. :rofl:

You have a great wife, mines a bit like that.  She even showed interest in the 32nd P-3!  Maybe she was humoring me...:blink:

• 3 weeks later...

Busy times have kept me away from this for a little while. 
I’ve finished the assembly & base colour painting of the ordinance and pylons for all 6 aircraft.

I’ve trimmed and started paint on the exhausts for all 6.

For the last few sessions, I’ve had this on the go…

51828590033_61a61f15f8_b.jpg

I made a set of sanding sticks using a set of wet and dry sanding sheets. From 120, up to 10000 grit. 
I set about eliminating the seams from 5 of the intake trunkings. One has already been done and installed previously, & and the there’s a KASL intake section for one of the other kits. 
With this job done, things may start to move forward more rapidly. 

• 2 weeks later...

State of play update.

I have all 6 airframes with intakes glued in position, and have built the wings, and attached them to each top fuselage section.

There’s one jet with its cockpit installed, after using a Quinta 3D decal set. Which

i LOVE. So much that I’m actually considering a set for the remaining 5 cockpits. It’ll massively speed up the project, as well as doing a far better job than i have the patience or steady hand for anymore.

51855168473_6b1ee21c4c_b.jpg

51855085591_41d7b3c425_b.jpg

My next task…:rofl:

7 lots of canopy seam line removals, and polishing. 
7 I hear you ask, but I’m only building 6 jets.

I have used a spare from one of the Sufs kits to replace the cracked canopy on my previously built Sufa. So I suppose technically, I now have 7 unfinished F-16s on the go. 

51856625676_8097b6b001_b.jpg

long night ahead. 

18 hours ago, themongoose said:

OMG I’d be bonkers by now! How do you keep from going too fast on one parts vs the next. Make it stop :D

It’s been an interesting challenge to keep it methodical. I spent many hours just thinking about the build order I wanted to follow. Drawing on my personal likes and dislikes. 
For example, I get so fed up and bored with weapons and pylons, so they’re first. 
I enjoy doing exhausts, so they will be the end job. 
I’m just breaking it down into mini steps, each one to be done x6.

All that, and I limit my bench time so I don’t get too bogged down with whatever step I’m working. 
It may get a bit more taxing when it comes to the paint shop, as I think I’d like to concentrate on one scheme at a time. 

• 2 months later...

Not a huge update, but an update nonetheless. I’ve managed to get 5 of the Airframes ready for priming and painting. Bless the Quinta 3D decals options or I’d have gone stir crazy by now. It’s made the finishing of the cockpits a breeze. This is where I stand right now. 

52005492492_cb80d01816_b.jpg

I’ve left vertical stabilisers off deliberately to make some of the painting a bit easier. I’ve dry fit each one to an almost seamless join, so when I install them post-paint, there’ll be minimal work required to blend them in. 

My only conundrum is which scheme to start painting first. :rofl:

Edited by Stokey Pete

1 hour ago, scvrobeson said:

Your assembly line sure looks busy, but it does look like it's going really well for you.

I guess start with the easiest scheme and work your way up in complexity?

Matt 

I’ve decided to go the opposite way. I’m starting with the complex first. My rationale is that if I start with the most difficult while my mind is fresh. I’d hate to get the ‘easier’ ones done and screw up the tough ones from feeling jaded, or a desire to rush to the finish line. 

12 hours ago, Stokey Pete said:

Not a huge update, but an update nonetheless. I’ve managed to get 5 of the Airframes ready for priming and painting. Bless the Quinta 3D decals options or I’d have gone stir crazy by now. It’s made the finishing of the cockpits a breeze. This is where I stand right now. 

52005492492_cb80d01816_b.jpg

I’ve left vertical stabilisers off deliberately to make some of the painting a bit easier. I’ve dry fit each one to an almost seamless join, so when I install them post-paint, there’ll be minimal work required to blend them in. 

My only conundrum is which scheme to start painting first. :rofl:

That would look good in various states of zinc primer, akin to an assembly line. Just picked this thread up and it’ll do wonders for the year book 2022!, when the rest of us are putting up 2 or 3 kits:crying:. Is this the modellers version of “dropping the mic”

Edited by Stevepd